Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

jobs...what to wear???

jobs...what to wear???

Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default jobs...what to wear???

hi all,

i've been looking for work for a couple of weeks now and i finally got invited to an interview and test (typing, i assume - hope so, been practising like crazy on the online type-tests...) at one of the employment agencies.

being a girl, i've been wondering what to wear.
in holland everything is pretty casual, so jeans and a shirt is ok for signing up with an employment agency (and for most jobs actually) - but looking around here i get the feeling that thats not going to be appropriate here...

so, should i wear a skirt and a blouse (is that an english word, or is it shirt??), or is a skirt and a top ok - bit confused so would love some tips...

thanks, tanja
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:17 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: jobs...what to wear???

Originally Posted by sunny side up
hi all,

i've been looking for work for a couple of weeks now and i finally got invited to an interview and test (typing, i assume - hope so, been practising like crazy on the online type-tests...) at one of the employment agencies.

in holland everything is pretty casual, so jeans and a shirt is ok for signing up with an employment agency (and for most jobs actually) - but looking around here i get the feeling that thats not going to be appropriate here...

so, should i wear a skirt and a blouse (is that an english word, or is it shirt??), or is a skirt and a top ok - bit confused so would love some tips...

thanks, tanja
I'm not sure Tanja as I'm in the same boat you are. BUT I would err on the busines side. Jeans and a top is too casual. I think a skirt and blouse (yes it is an english word) would be perfect. Business-like but not over the top professional and certainly not too casual.

Best of luck!!

Siren
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
I'm not sure Tanja as I'm in the same boat you are. BUT I would err on the busines side. Jeans and a top is too casual. I think a skirt and blouse (yes it is an english word) would be perfect. Business-like but not over the top professional and certainly not too casual.

Best of luck!!

Siren
yes, skirt and blouse, something that looks smart and professional. Lots of offices here have dress-down days, or just very informal dress codes, but when going for an interview you need to create a business-like image.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road

Hi Tanja,

I am a recruitment consultant and generally I suggest being as presentable as possible. I know it doesnt mean anything about your capabilities but there are a few reasons.

Firstly a presentable person presents an initial first impression, if you are presentable it can show an organised and presentable work ethic. Secondly, if you are applying for a position which involves representing your company, be it visiting clients or if you work in a position where clients might visit you or see you, then the company will want you to present yourself in a smart and sharp way which will represent them best.

It doesnt hurt to look your best at the end of the day and you should also find that feeling like you look good will give you more confidence in an interview anyway. It also means you made an effort and are taking the interview seriously.

That said, the person and your capabilities are what shine through so dont get to worried about it. Just remember you are trying to sell yourself, and a smart, clean appearance can only help portray a positive image of you and your capabilities.

hi all,

thanks, tanja
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tanja,

I too am in Recruitment and some will tell you its not that important if just attending an Agency to get all dressed up. I would just suggest that its the Agency that will be selling you to their clients, so if they are not confident in how you will present yourself to their clients, you will find you wont get to interview stage. Its their clients who they earn their money from essentially, so its them that they serve as priority.

Good luck with your job hunt...

Hels
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:46 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi Tanja - like the others have said, look smart. Its like attending an important meeting if you were at work really I have a couple of suits, but tend not to wear them much here as its too warm, instead I have a lot of tunic suits (trousers/skirt with matching top), which I'm personally very comfortable in, and they're business like but not as dressy as a jacket. This is what I wore for my interviews here.

Good luck with the job hunt
Old Jan 25th 2005, 2:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, skirt(or long neat pants, but a bit warm...) and blouse or neat shirt(like a polo top). And then for the real interview I'd really do blouse...

You might be tested on word and excel too. And an 'work attitude test'(no wrong answer ) I had too. But they told me all this before I went in...

Good luck!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2005, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

thanks all!

think i might have to go shopping again...oh bother...
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all!

think i might have to go shopping again...oh bother...

Awwww....poor you!!!

Its a tough life....but someones gotta do it, huh?
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hels
Awwww....poor you!!!

Its a tough life....but someones gotta do it, huh?

yeah...wish i was one of those people spending all day doing what they were good at...
Old Jan 25th 2005, 9:39 am
Dancing Queen

Lucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the roughLucyemma5 is a jewel in the rough

hi all,

thanks, tanja
Tanja

From what I have been told by recruitment consultants - Skirt and blouse/shirt would be ideal. I was also told that the 2 things that interviewers look for is clean shoes and neat fingernails.

Just as well you are going shopping, you might as well book yourself in for a manicure as well!

Best of luck at your interview, we are all rooting for you.

Best wishes

Lucy
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lucyemma5
Best of luck at your interview, we are all rooting for you.
Lucy

took me about 5 minutes to work out what you meant by rooting (i usually hear it in a very different context... ) but thanks heaps!!

went to whitfords this afternoon and managed to get myself a nice pair of dressy pants and a blouse for...you will not believe it...$17!!!

it was one of those final sales week things - they had 50% off last week, and this week, being the final one, another 50% off the 50% prices...lucky me...wouldnt have known how to explain to the man that i did really need another outfit...AGAIN...if it had been more expensive.

btw, for all you perth girls - its TEMT in whitford city - really nice stuff, i reckon - and one of a few shops that actually have good looking stuff in size 14 - final week of sales, so hurry!!!

well, anyway, i'm all ready to go now - been doing typing tests all day, i'm around the 50-55 wpm mark, but find i'm being slowed down by having to think how exactly the word is spelt - on of the disadvantages of not being a native speaker i guess - so it looks like the speed'll improve once i get more familiar with the language...

okay, thanks to you all, hope you have a fab australia day tomorrow and i'll keep you posted (oh, perth ladies, i've seen on another thread that you'll be meeting in kings park tomorrow - any specific place - might pop in and say hello...if i get there)

tanja
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:33 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

took me about 5 minutes to work out what you meant by rooting (i usually hear it in a very different context... ) but thanks heaps!!

went to whitfords this afternoon and managed to get myself a nice pair of dressy pants and a blouse for...you will not believe it...$17!!!

it was one of those final sales week things - they had 50% off last week, and this week, being the final one, another 50% off the 50% prices...lucky me...wouldnt have known how to explain to the man that i did really need another outfit...AGAIN...if it had been more expensive.

btw, for all you perth girls - its TEMT in whitford city - really nice stuff, i reckon - and one of a few shops that actually have good looking stuff in size 14 - final week of sales, so hurry!!!

well, anyway, i'm all ready to go now - been doing typing tests all day, i'm around the 50-55 wpm mark, but find i'm being slowed down by having to think how exactly the word is spelt - on of the disadvantages of not being a native speaker i guess - so it looks like the speed'll improve once i get more familiar with the language...

okay, thanks to you all, hope you have a fab australia day tomorrow and i'll keep you posted (oh, perth ladies, i've seen on another thread that you'll be meeting in kings park tomorrow - any specific place - might pop in and say hello...if i get there)

tanja
Yep, I'll pm you my phonenumber! Call me!

Wow, great deal on the clothes!!! Whitfords a bit to far for me though...
Typing sounds good, and yep, knowing the language more will help!

Good luck!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:39 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

hi all,

thanks, tanja
for what it's worth, casual but smart, it gets a bit hot in anything heavy