Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs in solar hot water

Jobs in solar hot water

Old Jul 28th 2007, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice
Question Jobs in solar hot water

I'm currently a plumber back home with qualifications in solar hot water. Due to climate change it seems to be getting more and more popular in Britain, and was wondering due to the lovely sunshine over there if theres a big call for solar hot water installers. Oh yeah and is there plenty for kids to do in cairns (That should keep the missis off my back!)
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jobs in solar hot water

Originally Posted by jamieffi
I'm currently a plumber back home with qualifications in solar hot water. Due to climate change it seems to be getting more and more popular in Britain, and was wondering due to the lovely sunshine over there if theres a big call for solar hot water installers. Oh yeah and is there plenty for kids to do in cairns (That should keep the missis off my back!)
Qld regulations now require solar water systems on all new builds, the only issue may be your plumbing licence.

As for things for kids in Cairns - which sport?

Search the forum for Cairns and plumbing licences in QLD.
WW
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

jamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nicejamieffi is just really nice

Cheers thats Great thanks As for the kids thing, they'll do anything that will occupy them
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:42 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Qld regulations now require solar water systems on all new builds, the only issue may be your plumbing licence.

As for things for kids in Cairns - which sport?

Search the forum for Cairns and plumbing licences in QLD.
WW
not true wombat. you can aslo go for gas hot water. from what im seeing the gas is far more popular due to being less expensive to install.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

I think that the government will give you a grant to fit solar water on a new build which covers most of the cost.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 10:55 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Whingin Pom
I think that the government will give you a grant to fit solar water on a new build which covers most of the cost.
incorrect. there is a rebate but gas is still cheapest to install.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

surely solar would be the best, due to type of climate there is. The suns energy has got to be cheaper then gas
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:52 am
youngy73

Originally Posted by jamieffi
surely solar would be the best, due to type of climate there is. The suns energy has got to be cheaper then gas
agreed. but this is australia not england. the first question here is what is the cheapest. people look for today and not tomorrow. in the uk i found most people would go for something in the middle. not the top, not the bottom, but the middle. australia is the cheapest nearly all the time
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by youngy73
agreed. but this is australia not england. the first question here is what is the cheapest. people look for today and not tomorrow. in the uk i found most people would go for something in the middle. not the top, not the bottom, but the middle. australia is the cheapest nearly all the time
The problem with solar is the pay back period. Usually this is significantly longer than the original owner will live in the house. Hence the cheaper gas option.

WW
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Neil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really niceNeil51 is just really nice

Solar thermal works very well in Austrlalia. When considering system payback period, it is erroneous to just consider present gas prices. Gas prices will undoubtedly rise in the future when supplies deplete. What you have with solar thermal systems is a very rieliable (approx 25yrs minimum) lifetime system that will give you security against fluctuation gas or electric prices. This is excluding the grants you can get for installation and future economic benefits that may come in the future when (as in the UK) the carbon footpring of homes will have an impact on value.

I've sent you a private message Jamieffi,
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Whingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really niceWhingin Pom is just really nice

incorrect. there is a rebate but gas is still cheapest to install.
If I remember the figures were something like 6ish K to install, then with a grant, rebate or whatever of over 4k. Thiss was just an informal conversation with a sales rep so you can't quote me on that.

So if its only 2-3k to pay back then it aint gonna take long for you to start to feel the benifits of free hot water.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 9:01 am
youngy73

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
The problem with solar is the pay back period. Usually this is significantly longer than the original owner will live in the house. Hence the cheaper gas option.

WW
payback period is about is 6 to 8 years.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

payback period is about is 6 to 8 years.
Many buyers initially plan for no more than 3 years at the one address.

From memory the average (whatever that is?) period of actual first-home/second-home ownership was not more than about 5 years.

Hence the short-term (not so smart) choice to not use solar.

WW
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Don't you think that not only is it efficient for the home owners, but a good selling point when the time comes. I think it would be great to move into a new home and not have to worry about gas bills. But hey thats just my opinion, going on what i've experienced where i live.