Jobs in OZ

Old Jun 7th 2003, 9:55 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in OZ

As we all wait patiently for our visa's to be approved and read most of the posts here a nagging feeling comes back that the job market in OZ is pretty down.

Taking that it may take 3-4 months to get a job, I was getting a bit worried about some posts that this could take longer. I've worked before in Australia within any problems on a WHV, and had 2 job offers, however this was about 5 years ago.

Anyways, I've looked at another source of information (backpackers) and there view is work is around, mainly in the big cities. OK, not in high level jobs, but still there is work around.
Old Jun 8th 2003, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jobs in OZ

Originally posted by rapitts
As we all wait patiently for our visa's to be approved and read most of the posts here a nagging feeling comes back that the job market in OZ is pretty down.

Taking that it may take 3-4 months to get a job, I was getting a bit worried about some posts that this could take longer. I've worked before in Australia within any problems on a WHV, and had 2 job offers, however this was about 5 years ago.

Anyways, I've looked at another source of information (backpackers) and there view is work is around, mainly in the big cities. OK, not in high level jobs, but still there is work around.
There's work in building, retail (especially if you've done it before), cleaning, nursing and cab driving. The things where there's work in every country, no matter how much they're going to the dogs.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 3:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi,
I know I'm going to get attacked for this by some, but personally I don't know why any person can not find work here in Aus (or in Britain) . If there's no work in your given occupation - broaden your search into other fields, or create your own work.

Australia does have a higher level of unemployment than the UK - Uk is 5 point something percent , Aus 6, or 6.1 last time I looked. I'm not quite sure if this is due to the fact that there are slightly more "lazy" people here than in the Uk (you get some people here in Aus , surfies mostly, who cash their dole cheques, no intention of working and spend their day bumming around at the beaches - get them in most countries!), or if it is because there are less vacancies here than in the UK.

Anyway, if you are very determined to work - you will find work! even if it's just collecting supermarket trolleys, doing markets, washing cars, mowing lawns etc for a wee while until you find work in your given field, instead of collecting dole cheques . This can be said for both countries Aus and Britain.

At the end of the day, I do not believe anybody who sits on the dole for months and says "I can't find work".... Bull! with a capital B. I see people here scraping a living together by walking around the neighbourhoods delivering fliers/ newspapers etc (Adults not kids) , mowing lawns, doing farm work, selling bettaware stuff etc- doing up second hand furniture (bought a lovely old wooden table off one such guy - he buys furniture, does it up, and sells on Ebay - makes a living that way instead of sitting on the dole - Good luck to him and all others like him). These people obviously have more pride in their little fingers than the people who sit taking handouts, moaning there is no work have in their whole bodies.

Anyway my point is, you will find work if you want it and if you are determined enough, this can be said for any country in the world.

If you managed to get work offers last time you were here, I can't see why you won't find any this time around. I do not know what the difference is (official figures) for the last five years - going up or down? I've been in Aus for 6 years and I can't see much change around me in the job market.

Good luck

P.s ... funny really, in our line of work, it's hard to get decent workers, really!!! - we've even thought about sponsoring hubby's brother to come over here.when we have had big 'shut downs" , he's a fitter (brother in - law) - you try getting a decent Fitter and turner in Brisbane, you'll know what I am talking about - hard work aye, trying to find someone who is willing to get their hands dirty! everybody wants to swan around in a suit and push a pen, and I thought Singapore was bad for this, and earn peanuts - oh well at least they've got the suit and can pretend to be earning big bucks

Look if you want to work - you'll find work really! We are paying our foreman 70k (plus overtime on top - depending on the work in the year , depends - sometimes he will earn 90k, others 85k) - but oops he actually gets his hands dirty for this, working all night when called for, and can be called up at a moments notice - in the middle of the night , or on a sunday ,when there is a major job to be done. Hubby (who's my boss - well at least he thinks he is ) put it this way, he is on way above 100k, - I'm not going to say the exact figure ... sounds like cr*p , bragging, and I really don't mean to do this is - it's hard showing your real personality on a forum - I'm on a lot less of course . But nobody handed this to us - we've been expats for 11 years - first in Asia - and now here - through good and bad., and sheer hard work.

Depends what field you are in.

Anyway, good luck - you will find work if you're looking for it, and willing to adapt and work, do not let anybody tell you otherwise.

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 10th 2003 at 6:06 am.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Australias economy is doing better than it has for a decade and probably more. Jobs are here. However they may be in a very different field to what you had in the UK. Thats just logical, different countries, climates, place in the world, economy etc..

If you are stuck on one particular job and cant find it at first, then take any old job. Most work here is casual so picking up a few hours is not going to be difficult. Then spend your time off looking for the "ideal job"

As Ceri says there is a huge population here that dont want to work. Families with kids often end up better off on welfare, which is disgustingly generous here, even Prime Minister admits it discourages people from working, so I assume that will change.

Play on the fact so many dont want to work, show you do, heaps of employers will appreciate this. I actually think people could come here and make a really good living. Take bricklayers and carpenters. Get the papers, work for someone else for 6 months to get aussie experience then go out on your own. You have to do it for yourself tho, nobody got rich working for someone else!
Thats what immigration is about, landing unknown and working your way back up, nobody owes you a job wherever you go to and they are not jobs on a plate here or anywhere else.

All of my pommie friends have found work here. What more can I say.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

jah4reds is on a distinguished road

Apart from Sydney, the job market in any Australia city appears to be closely linked to the local economy.

For example, in Queensland there are a fair number of vacancies for all sorts of jobs - tradespeople (building, plumbing, electricians etc), tourism, retail, nursing, teaching, etc and many others. But the national unemployment rate in IT is about 12% - not the average of 6+% unemployment.

So it's hard to answer your question without knowing what kind of job you would be looking for.

AndyH

Last edited by jah4reds; Jun 10th 2003 at 4:15 am.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 4:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by dotty
Families with kids often end up better off on welfare, which is disgustingly generous here, even Prime Minister admits it discourages people from working, so I assume that will change.

I have no time for these certain people, we have one guy working for us, he has 6 kids (yes I know! - sh*te!! ) , anyway this guy would be better off on the dole with that many children, but he works because he does not want hand outs! Has a heart of gold, I admire him in a way. Not only that, the daft b*gger has basically "adopted " another kid (not officially - taken the child under his wing so to speak) because he felt sorry for him (won't go into the story) . But, he has decided to pay out of his own pocket (money which he can't really spare because of his own family to feed) to give this child reading lessons. The child is backward for a 12 year old, needs help .
Anyway I have no time for people who say they can't find work. Where's the pride in taking a dole cheque? I have all the respect in the world for people who will take any jobs to get them by until they find decent work in their occupation.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 10th 2003 at 5:10 am.
Old Jun 10th 2003, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
Have to agree with you Ceri, w are moving to the rockhampton, my partner Clare has secured a position as a Radiographer. I have experience in food sales, and a HND & Degree in Food Industry Management. I am a Butcher by trade, if I can't get a job in my field, then I will have to dust the knives off, and flex my muscles. (heavy work). Any port in a storm.
Cheers
Gary