Reload this Page >

Jobs, being a Pom, problems?

Jobs, being a Pom, problems?

Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs, being a Pom, problems?

Hi,

We're emigrating to Brisbane in November and I'm just a bit worried if anyone has had any problems getting a job because they are English.

Eg less interest because you're not Aussie, not being called back for interviews, mickey-taking in the workplace etc. I mean, I can give as good as I've got for the latter, but I just want to get a job first!

Cheers,

Gavin.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:47 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Brother is a printer, walked into a Job a week after being in Brisbane, says that the sense of humour is slightly different and he gets on better with the other immigrants rather than the true Aussie but has had no problems and was helped out by lots of people in the companies he rang with regards to companies that may have vacancies.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that sounds tremendous.

I'm a journalist/reporter/sub-editor - any others out there, and what are the job prospects like for my field?
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gavin B
Thanks, that sounds tremendous.

I'm a journalist/reporter/sub-editor - any others out there, and what are the job prospects like for my field?
Don't know about your field but expat friends of ours say Aussie employers in trades like Brits because they have a reputation of working a lot harder than Aussies!!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

The fools!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:21 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Its funny that they have that attitude over there....as its the reverse over here!

My wife used to work for a job agency in London that only catered for antipodeans, and most of thier clients used them saying they work harder than brits!
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

It is far more likely that you would not be called back because you are over 30 and/or have no recent (within the last 12 months) Australian work experience, and no professional references from an Australian employer.

This is the brick wall I keep hitting having been here 12 years and only previously self-employed, and in college all last year.

The only time I have ever been openly discriminated against for my British migrant background was by a bank manager in a WESTPAC bank, who was downright rude at least, and positively racist at worst. I was trying to borrow a few thousand $$$ to buy a car at the time.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:20 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nicstids
Don't know about your field but expat friends of ours say Aussie employers in trades like Brits because they have a reputation of working a lot harder than Aussies!!
I was told much the same thing regarding Brits working harder but they've not seen the art I've perfected of looking busy doing nothing not to mention the hours whiled away leaning on a brush or shovel.
Ahhhhhh I love having an apprentice
Sean
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the positive views for work in Brisbane. Partner is concerned about this so this may be news to his ears.

footie chick
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
Thanks for the positive views for work in Brisbane. Partner is concerned about this so this may be news to his ears.

footie chick

Hi, I'm a chief sub on a monthly mag and do some writing for it too. I'm also doing a book proofreading and copyediting course to get as much experience as poss. I"m also a bit worried about getting work when we go in September but may fall back on freelancing if I have to. We're heading to Melbourne, so I've been checking out the job search engines (like mycareer.com etc) and there seem to be a few popping up every now and again. Not sure about Brisbane tho. Good luck with the job hunting.
Parrot
Old Apr 30th 2003, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by parrot
Hi, I'm a chief sub on a monthly mag and do some writing for it too. I'm also doing a book proofreading and copyediting course to get as much experience as poss. I"m also a bit worried about getting work when we go in September but may fall back on freelancing if I have to. We're heading to Melbourne, so I've been checking out the job search engines (like mycareer.com etc) and there seem to be a few popping up every now and again. Not sure about Brisbane tho. Good luck with the job hunting.
Parrot
Thanks for that info. Yeh, I've thought about freelancing. Alternatively, if that does not work, I'll sell my body to the highest bidder - should make just enough for some bread and water!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about you people with 'traditional' trades but if you are in IT then you should think long and hard about coming to Brisbane.

There is practically no IT work here. I am a very experienced project manager in software development and I've not had a sniff of work in the four months that I've been here. Brisbane is many years behind Europe when it comes to IT. Companies don't seem to have much grasp of the concept.

I have had one interview and they didn't even have the courtesy to contact me afterwards. Agencies are useless too. When I registered with recruitment agencies in the UK they were constantly phoning me with offers. Here they don't want to know you. If you phone them up to discuss the market you get some junior droid who doesn't understand the industry at all.

Boeing is about the only major IT employer with any serious presence in Brisbane but you can only work for them if you are an Australian citizen.

I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me so I contacted a few organisations outside Australia. Bingo ! loads of interest. Sadly it maybe time to give up on Australia for a few years until it catches up.

By the way IT salaries here are, on average, 2.5 times lower than in London i.e. if you earn £100k in London, you'll get about A$100k in Brisbane.

As far as being a Pom is concerned there does not appear to be any discrimination.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your honesty Nick.

For some reason, I do have that inkling that Brisbane will be harder to get jobs in than say, Melbourne or Sydney. Still, we have hope.

We've already decided if it's just not working, we'll probably head to Melbourne. The main reason we're heading for Qld is for the climate - my wife's from Cairns, and she thinks Melbourne is freezing!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:13 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by etlniwd
I don't know about you people with 'traditional' trades but if you are in IT then you should think long and hard about coming to Brisbane.

There is practically no IT work here. I am a very experienced project manager in software development and I've not had a sniff of work in the four months that I've been here. Brisbane is many years behind Europe when it comes to IT. Companies don't seem to have much grasp of the concept.

I have had one interview and they didn't even have the courtesy to contact me afterwards. Agencies are useless too. When I registered with recruitment agencies in the UK they were constantly phoning me with offers. Here they don't want to know you. If you phone them up to discuss the market you get some junior droid who doesn't understand the industry at all.

Boeing is about the only major IT employer with any serious presence in Brisbane but you can only work for them if you are an Australian citizen.

I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me so I contacted a few organisations outside Australia. Bingo ! loads of interest. Sadly it maybe time to give up on Australia for a few years until it catches up.

By the way IT salaries here are, on average, 2.5 times lower than in London i.e. if you earn £100k in London, you'll get about A$100k in Brisbane.

As far as being a Pom is concerned there does not appear to be any discrimination.
Talking to a young IT grad the other day , he's doing contract work for TENNIX , at TECHNOLOGY ,PARK ,ADELAIDE, other companies there are SAAB SYSTEMS, BRITISH AREOSPACE , MARCONI, SOLAR OPTICAL,ETC ,he has no problems getting work......MM
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:55 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT

Mr mover - your news is quite worrying! OH no! My husband works in IT (financial sector/banks/SWIFT that kinda stuff) and we were hoping to move to Brisbane. We had noticed that there weren't too many jobs in Brisbane but thought we were looking at the wrong agency websights.

Maybe Sydney would be a better place for a while? Scott is thinking of having a career change but I don't think he was planning on doing it quite so soon after arriving in Oz.

Back to the drawing board.....

Regards (and thanks!)
Victoria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.