Reload this Page >

Jobs in Australia

Jobs in Australia

Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:52 am
Account Closed

CharlotteCatherine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Australia

Hi to whoever is reading!

I am completely new to this. I am a 2010 Psychology grad with a great desire to work in Australia.

The only thing is...I don't know where to start. How does anyone find a job in Australia? I imagine it's just as tough to find work out there as it is in the UK, especially if you're an inexperienced, recent grad, like me!

I certainly do not want to get exploited by websites for naive tourists, and I am disenchanted with recruitment agencies.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Anyone know any companies that are international/ or like English peeps like me? I have interned in PR, TV Production, magazine publishing, advertising and at a modelling agency.

Charlotte
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Australia

Do you have a visa to work in Australia?

Getting one of those is where you start.

http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration/
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:07 am
Account Closed

I don't have a Visa. I'm not sure what one to go for. I have skills, and good qualifications, so I want a job that would match these, rather than casual, holiday work. Do visas cost a lot of money?
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

To be blunt, I think you have little to no chance of getting a visa that will allow you to work in Australia, other than the one year working holiday visa.

Why not do that, try the country out. Then come back to the UK and get some years work experience behind you with a view to maybe moving in the future.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the link that NickyC posted and work through the options available to you on the site. It has all the information you need in relation to fees, charges and visa types which vary.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:41 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

A Psychology graduate? You and about nother 50k young Australians.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 3:51 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
I assume that they also don't earn enough to warrant a place at your dinner table.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 4:25 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

incorrect, But i am pointing out that posessing such a qualification is nothing special and will give you no special advantage in securing a job.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 4:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Is that a factual figure or a plucked from the air figure? I've no idea and can't be bothered to Google.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is that a factual figure or a plucked from the air figure? I've no idea and can't be bothered to Google.
It is probably plucked from the air, nevertheless a new graduate is unlikely to qualify for a visa, other than the working holiday of course.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I reckon the figure is plucked from the air - but it's true that psychology graduates really struggle to get jobs because there are so many of them. It's one of those degreees that are really trendy at the moment. Very popular with girls.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 6:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
I reckon the figure is plucked from the air - but it's true that psychology graduates really struggle to get jobs because there are so many of them. It's one of those degreees that are really trendy at the moment. Very popular with girls.
A bit like Sociology in the Early 80s.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Not only that, psychologists have to jump through several hoops to be registered these days . Check out the http://www.ahpra.gov.au/ site. To practice you have to go through 2 years of internship (after 4 years of study) and, given that you dont have a job, you would be in competition for a limited number of positions which are actually able to provide the relevant conditions for registration because, as the others have said, every man and his dog does psych these days, so chances of getting a visa being an unregisterable psych are quite low I should think.

Best bet is to get yourself a doctorate in UK then apply as a clinical (or whatever other colour) psych and hope that there are vacancies for clinicians when you have finished.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:54 am
Account Closed

Err...I didn't really make this post to have my psychology degree dissected, and I certainly don't believe I can just waltz into any job. I have been out in a recession for a year now. I know how hard it is.

All I hoped was that someone might be able to give me some constructive suggestions/ insider knowledge. Perhaps someone who was once in my shoes.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:57 am
Account Closed

PS. I don't want to work in psychology, but thank you for your suggestions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.