Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT jobs in Australia

Wikiposts

IT jobs in Australia

Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:08 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default IT jobs in Australia

Not good news I'm afraid

http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/hr/...0276063,00.htm

Mel
Old Jul 8th 2003, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for a global IT company selling outsoucing services and probably going to move to sydney with them. So this looks like good new good news for me.

To put this in perspective though you should remeber that much of this offshore stuff is Business Process Outsourcing, call centre staff providing simply business functions not the IT function itself.

Whilst their is trend for some applications mangement to go offshore the biggest threat to in house IT depts is technology advancement making infrasrtucture support simplier and more edffective. Automated enterprise management tools, better service mgmt, better/simplier architectures and standardisation is what is giving companies scope to reduce IT headcounts, in my view.

My adivce would be to get someone to get you some training to become a consultant for gartner's Total Cost of Ownershiip methodology (easier said than done I'm afraid) then you will be laughing. Its this TCO perspective many businesses I talk to are coming from hence the introduction of automation, etc to reduce cost which in essense in the main is people.

rgds

James