Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jobs in Admin, Gold Coast or try elsewhere?

Jobs in Admin, Gold Coast or try elsewhere?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Sarah.Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jobs in Admin, Gold Coast or try elsewhere?

Hello everyone, new to the forum.

Ok, I've lived here for over 2 years now and to be honest me and hubby are currently considering returning to the UK as it's simply not working (excuse pun) here. I've worked in Admin for over 10 years in the UK and I've just never seen anything like it here. I seem to always be doing 1.5 peoples work. I get paid award wages. My lunch break is not set, and to be honest the company I currently work for would rather I didn't take it. I'm fed up with the 'if you don't like it, someone else will' attitude, yet I'm stuck in current job as there's simply nothing else out there!

My question:

Is this simply how it works in Australia, or is it just the Gold Coast? If it's better elsewhere then we're only to happy to leave this place, but if the same all over then we might as well return to the UK, I'm so over it!

Can anyone please tell me it's just the Gold Coast, it will be better elsewhere?

Old Sep 11th 2009, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Admin, Gold Coast or try elsewhere?

Originally Posted by Sarah.Jones

Ok, I've lived here for over 2 years now and to be honest me and hubby are currently considering returning to the UK as it's simply not working (excuse pun) here. I've worked in Admin for over 10 years in the UK and I've just never seen anything like it here. I seem to always be doing 1.5 peoples work. I get paid award wages. My lunch break is not set, and to be honest the company I currently work for would rather I didn't take it. I'm fed up with the 'if you don't like it, someone else will' attitude, yet I'm stuck in current job as there's simply nothing else out there!

My question:

Is this simply how it works in Australia, or is it just the Gold Coast? If it's better elsewhere then we're only to happy to leave this place, but if the same all over then we might as well return to the UK, I'm so over it!

Can anyone please tell me it's just the Gold Coast, it will be better elsewhere?

Sounds pretty much the same as Brisbane at least. Did 4 years in Admin roles in brisbane and I had much the same experience - always expected to pick up other people's work if they were away (refusal usually met with comments about "ending the contract" or "lazy Pom!"). Same thing with lunchbreaks. Some people seemed to just down tools and vanish for an hour, but that was ususual and people were frowned on for doing it. Even the best boss I had would expect me to work through lunch at a moment's notice even when he knew that I had arranged to meet people.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sounds pretty much the same as Brisbane at least. Did 4 years in Admin roles in brisbane and I had much the same experience - always expected to pick up other people's work if they were away (refusal usually met with comments about "ending the contract" or "lazy Pom!"). Same thing with lunchbreaks. Some people seemed to just down tools and vanish for an hour, but that was ususual and people were frowned on for doing it. Even the best boss I had would expect me to work through lunch at a moment's notice even when he knew that I had arranged to meet people.
Well I've toyed with the idea of looking at Brisbane, or even moving there, but by the sounds of it it's the same.

I'm guessing this is Australia wide.

Lazy Pom, now where have I heard that before?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've toyed with the idea of looking at Brisbane, or even moving there, but by the sounds of it it's the same.

I'm guessing this is Australia wide.

Lazy Pom, now where have I heard that before?
I've never been treated like that in any of my jobs in either Adelaide or Perth. Probably because I won't let people walk all over me. My feeling is that if they can get someone else to do the job then fine, get someone else.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 9:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My question:

I think it's luck of the draw unfortunately. It's notoriously very very difficult getting good admin jobs on the Coast but I know several people who've got great admin jobs where they're appreciated and well paid but I think they are few and far between mainly because it's such a tourist destination and the admin and similar jobs are regarded as being short term, earn a bit of money and move on occupations.

You may find more jobs in Melbourne or Sydney but as to whether they would treat you any better is impossible to say.
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the admin jobs are casual so yes, you will be treated like something on the bottom of their shoe. I have been in a job 2 weeks now though and I am highly valued and respected, so it can happen. Do you have to stick to admin jobs? Have you considered doing a course to qualify in something else?
Old Sep 11th 2009, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

It could be worse...try getting an admin' job on a WHV......absolute nightmare!!

My partner and I are currently here looking at sponsorship, he's an electrician. I'm seriously considering studying something else because the amount of jobs in admin, as previously mentioned, are few and far between

Good Luck!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

johull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to alljohull is a name known to all

My question:

What a nightmare! Where do you work? I work in admin and it is a great place to work, decent wages and we are treated really well. I know what you mean though, good jobs are few and far between. I think its hard when you have left good jobs and a good lifestyle and get here and seem to constantly hit a brick wall. I know girls in UK who have the same problem with their employers, particularly at the moment, they know that there is always someone to take your place.

Have your worked at the same place for a while?

Jo
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I've never been treated like that in any of my jobs in either Adelaide or Perth. Probably because I won't let people walk all over me. My feeling is that if they can get someone else to do the job then fine, get someone else.
I'm happy for you, honest

I'm far from a pushover. I'd go as far as to say I stand my ground (not liked here, well from women anyway) and because of this I've been called a trouble maker. 'put up or shut up!'

Originally Posted by RenShen
A lot of the admin jobs are casual so yes, you will be treated like something on the bottom of their shoe. I have been in a job 2 weeks now though and I am highly valued and respected, so it can happen. Do you have to stick to admin jobs? Have you considered doing a course to qualify in something else?
Current company - 7 months. Good pay, but that's it. Oh and close (15 mins).

Admin is my field. I enjoy it, and it's what I do. Yes, I've thought about retraining, but why should I if this is what I do!

Originally Posted by LisaIan
It could be worse...try getting an admin' job on a WHV......absolute nightmare!!

My partner and I are currently here looking at sponsorship, he's an electrician. I'm seriously considering studying something else because the amount of jobs in admin, as previously mentioned, are few and far between

Good Luck!!
I've done the temp visa and 20 hours ... I hear you.

Originally Posted by johull
What a nightmare! Where do you work? I work in admin and it is a great place to work, decent wages and we are treated really well. I know what you mean though, good jobs are few and far between. I think its hard when you have left good jobs and a good lifestyle and get here and seem to constantly hit a brick wall. I know girls in UK who have the same problem with their employers, particularly at the moment, they know that there is always someone to take your place.

Have your worked at the same place for a while?

Jo
I'm currently working in Yatala, but it's a small company, with small company syndrome. Yes, I worked for big organisations in the UK, and that's probably half of my problems, but who can get a job at the council, or local college?

Not me, and not from want of trying!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

I'm happy for you, honest

I've done the temp visa and 20 hours ... I hear you.
That's the thing though, there's no hours per week restrictions on a Working Holiday Visa ....I can work as many hours as my heart desires!! 50+ a week please!!

But, because I'm not a PR noone will touch me, I've met a couple of recruitment agents socially and both freely admitted that most companies just trash the resume if there's no aussie exp' and generally don't really like us non-residents....so blummin annoying! I had a job I loved in the UK and I can't even get any job over here. Just thankful that my partner's getting work and keeping us afloat.

Not good
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LisaIan
That's the thing though, there's no hours per week restrictions on a Working Holiday Visa ....I can work as many hours as my heart desires!! 50+ a week please!!

But, because I'm not a PR noone will touch me, I've met a couple of recruitment agents socially and both freely admitted that most companies just trash the resume if there's no aussie exp' and generally don't really like us non-residents....so blummin annoying! I had a job I loved in the UK and I can't even get any job over here. Just thankful that my partner's getting work and keeping us afloat.

Not good
Got PR and loads of aussie experience but it didn't change much.

We're going back to the UK though, decided last night. We've given it a good go here but it's simply not working.

Thanks for the replies.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 10:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive worked in Admin (Oil/Gas) since I moved to Perth. The work is hard and yes, I have done the work of 1.5 people most of the time. However, due to recent events in my life, I think I have been very well looked after and have had fantastic support from my company.

I could take a lunchbreak if I wanted to but like many of my colleagues, I work through and eat at my desk. When I need to go somewhere at lunchtime I can take a little bit longer as it is flexible.

I have been in this industry for nearly 3 years and I love it, we do seem quite close as an industry.

My job is not perfect - but to be honest, I can't imagine anywhere being perfect. I moved to my new division last week and so far so good, excellent team.

It is very hard when you are in a job that makes you unhappy and I think that can happen anywhere not just Australia.

Personally, I would hang in there - you have to 'kiss alot of frogs before you find a prince' (so my Mum would say)

I would knuckle down, do your work as best as you can and before you leave this job, have a scout around for something else. You never know what is around the corner.