Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT Jobs in Adelaide - Whats it like?

IT Jobs in Adelaide - Whats it like?

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

taffgmg will become famous soon enoughtaffgmg will become famous soon enough
Default IT Jobs in Adelaide - Whats it like?

Hi,

We are hoping to move out to Adelaide next year via a spouse visa. My wife is the Aussie, born and bred in Adelaide. I will be hoping to get a job in IT.

Whats the work culture like out there. Not sure if that is strange question or not as most companies even over here in the UK can be quite different but I want to try and get a sense of what its like to work in an office environment in Australia. Is it much different to the UK. (have worked with quite a few Americans and felt their work culture is very different with long hours etc)

I have noticed that there appears to be a distinct lack of IT jobs advertised for Adelaide compared to the other cities out there. I currently work in a team that manages small projects and is involved in the implementation of ITIL. (have they heard of ITIL and Prince 2 out there)

The job thing is probably my biggest concern about moving as I have an enjoyable job over here in the UK. Dont earn loads but the hours are great and I can walk to work and I guess the work/life balance is just right.

Have visited Adelaide a few times and in total have probably spent 6 months there on and off and havent come across anything that would dissaude me from moving out there except maybe the wildlife and the job thing......

Thanks in advance

Martyn
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 10:51 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Jobs in Adelaide - Whats it like?

Most IT jobs in Adelaide tend to be in the defence sector, SAAB Systems ,BAE,Raytheon ,Tennix, getting a security clearence to do this work is a problem, but not insurmountable...............mm
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:11 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Think it also depends on what sort of IT job you are looking for, that can cover sooooo many different roles!!

I have seen many advertised in the paper, worth looking here www.seek.com.au might come up with something there!!

But you have to remember that Adelaide is a little behind the times when it comes to computers, etc etc.

I had a woman the other day at the Home show selling the most fantastic art pieces, based in Melbourne and I said to her she should have a web site she would make a fortune, as the pieces she was selling were fab, but she looked at me blankly and really couldnt see the benefit of having one!! I gave up trying to explain!!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

ozdreamer will become famous soon enoughozdreamer will become famous soon enough

I have noticed that there appears to be a distinct lack of IT jobs advertised for Adelaide compared to the other cities out there. I currently work in a team that manages small projects and is involved in the implementation of ITIL. (have they heard of ITIL and Prince 2 out there)

Hi

ITIL and Prince2 are becoming very desirable in OZ but you will probably find that its Melbourne and Sydney where you will find most of the work.
(OH is also into ITIL and Prince2).
You could try looking at the ITSMF Australia website (www.itsmf.org.au), look at the conference link and find the sponsors and exhibitors then take a look at their websites.

Amanda
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:34 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world. We fly people down to Adelaide from Melbourne to do work there as there isn't enough business for our company to justify having permanent staff in Adelaide.

I recommend you emigrate to Melbourne or Sydney if you want to find plentiful IT work that utilises your qualifications to the full.

ITIL and Prince2 are desired qualifications in Melbourne and I daresay elsewhere too.

Buzzy
Old Nov 4th 2007, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world. We fly people down to Adelaide from Melbourne to do work there as there isn't enough business for our company to justify having permanent staff in Adelaide.

I recommend you emigrate to Melbourne or Sydney if you want to find plentiful IT work that utilises your qualifications to the full.

ITIL and Prince2 are desired qualifications in Melbourne and I daresay elsewhere too.

Buzzy
As much as I love Adelaide, I'd have to agree with Buzzy. I think that at this point in time Adelaide is way behind with IT jobs.

Of course the biggest hurdle would be persuading your OH to move elsewhere if she's from Adelaide and wanting to move back to her home town.