Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Ready Program

Job Ready Program

Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Job Ready Program

My husband is a self employed brickie in WA and has a couple of labourers working under him who are also all self employed. One of these labourers is training to be a brickie and has asked my OH if he'll be his employer for the Job Ready Program.

I've read through some of the info and found that OH would have to register with the TRA and pay the 'relevant award wages' which implies a union site.

Does anyone know if my OH would have to fully employ (ie sick pay, holiday pay, super etc) the guy or if it could be done on an self employment basis ?
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Ready Program

Have a look at the post at the top of the page.

I phoned them yesturday and they told me it has to be a contract (meaning sick, holidays, super etc).

I would get your hubbie to e-mail TRA and tell them if that is not the norm in that industry. It is not in mine either, causing me big problems too. Hopefully if enough people tell them it is a problem they will see the error of their ways and change it.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I did have a quick look at that post but was after a definitive answer.

Thought as much it would be contractural. You can get contracts in this industry but it's on the union sites and not a lot of people want to work there because of all the red tape, lower wages etc

On saying that, I've never know a brickie yet with sick and holiday pay and a super !
Old Jan 6th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, if I had a choice I would stay as a casual..... of course, I don't have the choice as I can't get a contract.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:22 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

You might find the situation of labourers and tradies etc. sub contracting or being self employed is going to come under greater scrutiny from the unions and elsewhere in Government now that the Labour government has their Fair Work or whatever it is called legislation up and running.

Anything TRA do will be in accordance with employment legislation.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Can I just say that if your husband was able to do any of what the contract and assessment may require that he gives it a shot?

I know the personal life of his employee is none of his concern but that person may now be clutching at straws having spent thousands and is just desparate for a break.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kingseat
Can I just say that if your husband was able to do any of what the contract and assessment may require that he gives it a shot?

I know the personal life of his employee is none of his concern but that person may now be clutching at straws having spent thousands and is just desparate for a break.
You are kidding right ? I know what it takes to get here, we went through it all ourselves !! If it only cost time that's no problem but to have to pay a guy the going wage (which he already does) and then super, then holiday pay, then sick pay then all the insurances, blue card, health and safety, tagging etc etc etc etc, we'd be bankrupt before the week was out !