Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job prospects Cities or towns?????

Job prospects Cities or towns?????

Old Dec 18th 2005, 6:35 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice
Default Job prospects Cities or towns?????

My wife and I are hitting OZ in June (fingers crossed)
Everyone on this forum seems to be going to the big Cities. We fancy somewhere quieter but what are our job prospects ( I'm a sales rep in construction Sarah is a mortgage Advisor).

We are considering somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane. Maybe Port Macquarie or Coffs harbour ( or anywhere similar)

Any info is appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited by bigjugs; Dec 18th 2005 at 6:45 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 8:16 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice
Default Re: Job prospects Cities or towns?????

Originally Posted by bigjugs
My wife and I are hitting OZ in June (fingers crossed)
Everyone on this forum seems to be going to the big Cities. We fancy somewhere quieter but what are our job prospects ( I'm a sales rep in construction Sarah is a mortgage Advisor).

We are considering somewhere between Sydney and Brisbane. Maybe Port Macquarie or Coffs harbour ( or anywhere similar)

Any info is appreciated.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Bump
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:34 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried a search on here, as Coffs has definitely come up a few times in the last couple of months.

Paul.
Old Dec 18th 2005, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We are in regional Victoria and wouldn't want to be in the city. We love it here and there is such a good sense of community without it being too big, however we still have the facilities that we need with a family. Regional areas in Victoria are booming at the moment and are desperate to attract people to work and live here although we are a distance from the sea so seaside towns may be more difficult.
It is a case of knowing where you are likely to be most comfortable and we have never enjoyed living in the city; the town that we are living in has approx the same poulation as the place that we were happiest living in the UK.
We would love to live in a small seaside community but the work is here at the moment and we have the rivers, mountains and wonderful scenery and you can't have it all.
Good luck with your search and I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Nicky
Old Dec 18th 2005, 11:43 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyP
We are in regional Victoria and wouldn't want to be in the city. We love it here and there is such a good sense of community without it being too big, however we still have the facilities that we need with a family. Regional areas in Victoria are booming at the moment and are desperate to attract people to work and live here although we are a distance from the sea so seaside towns may be more difficult.
It is a case of knowing where you are likely to be most comfortable and we have never enjoyed living in the city; the town that we are living in has approx the same poulation as the place that we were happiest living in the UK.
We would love to live in a small seaside community but the work is here at the moment and we have the rivers, mountains and wonderful scenery and you can't have it all.
Good luck with your search and I hope that you find what you are looking for.
Nicky
I am an accountant. When I searched careerone, seek before I came out here 99.99% of all jobs were in one of the cities but it depends very much on what you do.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I am an accountant. When I searched careerone, seek before I came out here 99.99% of all jobs were in one of the cities but it depends very much on what you do.
I suppose it depends on your area I know that there are accountants here often working in the rural sector or with small to medium companies, but maybe it is a case of jobs not being advertised online, not sure. Large companies often move to regional areas and then find it hard to attract staff, I know that where Ian works they are always having difficulties and teachers, social workers, doctors, engineers etc are all seriously in demand here. I am so annoyed that I can't work at the moment as there have been 5 full time teaching jobs in my area in this town alone since we moved here a couple of months ago as the area is growing rapidly. It is a lovely area to live but the big problem is that most people want to be by the sea.
Good luck with finding the right job.
Nicky