Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job offer at Sydney Airport

Job offer at Sydney Airport

Old Sep 1st 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tomski Tribe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer at Sydney Airport

Hi! My husband has been offered a job at Sydney Airport and we are serious Australia virgins! I have looked at google maps of the airport and surrounding area, can anyone help with nice places to live in easy reach of the airport?

We have 2 small children (5 and 3) so will need good access to schools, playschool etc. and I may possibly need to work as well.

I don't really know where to start, my mind is boggling and we have 2 weeks to make a decision!
Old Sep 1st 2008, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

yasmin111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job offer at Sydney Airport

Maroubra is a nice area, its right by the beach and has good transport to the airport. The only thing is with living in any of the eastern suburbs of Sydney the traffic can be a bit of a nightmare at peak times as in any city.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:50 am
Just Joined

midnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tomski Tribe
Hi! My husband has been offered a job at Sydney Airport and we are serious Australia virgins! I have looked at google maps of the airport and surrounding area, can anyone help with nice places to live in easy reach of the airport?

We have 2 small children (5 and 3) so will need good access to schools, playschool etc. and I may possibly need to work as well.

I don't really know where to start, my mind is boggling and we have 2 weeks to make a decision!
Rockdale area as well, such as kogarah, Brighton-le-sands(recommended), on the side of Botany bay so close to airport, nice view.....
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Wolli Creek, Mascot
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 10:55 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have the cash Eastern Suburbs is good but you would want to be near a good public school eg Bronte. The public secondary schools in the area are not great. Plenty of playgroups but the good preschools have a waitlist. The private schools also have waitlists which you have to apply for when the kid has just popped out.

The Shire (Sutherland Shire) is a good bet for better value housing and is more family orientated but also a insular.

The St George area is OK but overpriced for bland suburbs with little going for them. For cheaper suburbs you can go west but you lose QOL.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midnet
Rockdale area as well, such as kogarah, Brighton-le-sands(recommended), on the side of Botany bay so close to airport, nice view.....
Yes, a nice view of aircraft taking off and landing, hoons driving up and down, a container terminal and an oil refinery - all within sight of Brighton-le-sands.

Go round the corner a bit past Dolls Point and the view improves enormously.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:05 pm
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Remember Sydney Airport isn't like Heathrow. While Sydney's roads can become congested, it won't take you a year to get there from more central parts of the city, like it would from central London to Heathrow.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

PMed You
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

St Peters.....close to the airport and public transport and to the CBD. I lived there for 7 years, loved it before moving to the UK for my husband.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

How often would he be going into the airport? If it's only a few times a month, or once or twice a week you can live miles away and there are great areas to think about.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:12 am
Just Joined

Dazza.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Tomski Tribe.....what job are you doing at the Airport as I am trying to get a job at the Airport in perth???
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dazza.M
Tomski Tribe.....what job are you doing at the Airport as I am trying to get a job at the Airport in perth???
Hubby is flight crew. Luckily the company that's offfered him a job are dealing with the visa etc.

Last edited by Tomski Tribe; Sep 3rd 2008 at 6:47 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wol
How often would he be going into the airport? If it's only a few times a month, or once or twice a week you can live miles away and there are great areas to think about.
I should imagine he will be going to the airport daily and we will need to be within an hour of the airport. It's mind boggling just looking at the map!
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shoshana
St Peters.....close to the airport and public transport and to the CBD. I lived there for 7 years, loved it before moving to the UK for my husband.
Which direction is that in from airport? Does it have good schools and stuff for little uns?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I should imagine he will be going to the airport daily and we will need to be within an hour of the airport. It's mind boggling just looking at the map!
The Mittagong / Bowral area is an hour down the Hume highway from KS airport. Over 200 Qantas pilots live around here apparently!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.