Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job Offer Change of Mind

Job Offer Change of Mind

Old May 17th 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Job Offer Change of Mind

My husband has now been job hunting in Melbourne for two months. He has 20 years experience as a property manager in London. Last Friday he had interview at well known estate agents and on Friday evening they phoned and offered him job as property manager. He was really happy and celebrated all weekend. He was due to go in on Tuesday morning and sign contract etc, but on Monday evening they phoned and said they had rethink on job and that it no longer existed and that was it. No apologies or explanations given.

I feel that perhaps someone who knew someone in the office had been given job instead, but am we are still totally shocked that this could happen. Is this usual practice?

We are really down at the moment, especially as he cancelled two interviews that he had on Monday, thinking that he had a job already.

He has had a few interviews and this was the first job offer, and would have been great to get a foot in and get some australian experience.

Anyway nothing to do now except encourage him to keep applying for other jobs.

Mel
Old May 17th 2005, 9:19 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer Change of Mind

Originally Posted by melibeam
My husband has now been job hunting in Melbourne for two months. He has 20 years experience as a property manager in London. Last Friday he had interview at well known estate agents and on Friday evening they phoned and offered him job as property manager. He was really happy and celebrated all weekend. He was due to go in on Tuesday morning and sign contract etc, but on Monday evening they phoned and said they had rethink on job and that it no longer existed and that was it. No apologies or explanations given.

I feel that perhaps someone who knew someone in the office had been given job instead, but am we are still totally shocked that this could happen. Is this usual practice?

We are really down at the moment, especially as he cancelled two interviews that he had on Monday, thinking that he had a job already.

He has had a few interviews and this was the first job offer, and would have been great to get a foot in and get some australian experience.

Mel

Sorry to hear that mate, that's rough, I'll keep my fingers crossed for him
Old May 17th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Mel
That is terible news it's really annoying that people can do things like that. I hope you and hubby are feeling better soon and that something better comes along. Will send you some good luck karma tomorrow. Have used my quota for today apparently
Tracey
Old May 17th 2005, 9:23 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mel
thats a real pi**er things will get better. karma on way
Old May 17th 2005, 9:26 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rooksie
thats a real pi**er things will get better. karma on way
Stiff upper lip, old girl!! Stiff upper lip! Good luck! Hope it all goes well!

Jayne
Old May 17th 2005, 9:27 pm
Professional Princess

Mel

Im so sorry for you Mel I really am.

Everything happens for a reason and maybe it wouldnt have been the right job for him.

The fact he is getting interviews says that he is worth employing and that should encourage you.

I bet you if he keeps a positive 'Im good at what I do' kind of attitude, he will get not only a job, but the right one.

I have learned that there is nothing like knowing your own self worth, that will make you more employable.

Its an invisible 'suit of armour' that employers can spot a mile away.

Good luck, not that you will need it!

Samantha

Old May 17th 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your thoughts and karma, keeping fingers crossed that another job comes along soon.

Mel