Job Offer

Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Sebastian will become famous soon enough
Default Job Offer

I've been offered a job in Melbourne and the offer just states by e-mailthat
we are pleased to be able to offer you the position of Technical Service Manager.

The position attracts a base salary of A$62,000 plus 9% superannuation and is available for commencement as soon as you can get here.

My questions:
Should i ask for a kind of an appointment order letter or a contract.
What is the norm in australia when a job is offered.
Is there any thing else which i should clarify before i pack up and leave?

Cheers!
and merry christmas to all

Sebastian
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:58 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job Offer

Originally Posted by Sebastian
we are pleased to be able to offer you the position of Technical Service Manager.

The position attracts a base salary of A$62,000 plus 9% superannuation and is available for commencement as soon as you can get here.

My questions:

Cheers!

Sebastian
Yes, ask them to fax or mail you a contract and photocopy it once you have signed it. Also ensure you have start date sorted and any relocation expenses etc they might offer. Also read the contract! Any queries, make a list and email them before signing and returning. Just say you'd like to clarify these points sort of thing. Print copies of any emails they send you.

A contract is a legal document. You want all conditions inc salary in it. A copy of the contract is helpful incase any problems arise later. If such a situation should arise, check out a free community legal service for initial advice on how to proceed, unless you are a member of a union or professional body/association.

Hope this helps. Have a good xmas yourself.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 7:59 am

gedge has disabled reputation

My questions:

Cheers!

Sebastian
well done on getting the job
how did that happen? did they interview you? where was it advertised?
how well do you know the company? i'd be cautious if i have nothing concrete from them
discuss this with them before doing anything would be my advice... ask for a full contract
do some research and play safe

good luck
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

Well done on getting a job. Good luck with it.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 8:07 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
well done on getting the job
how did that happen? did they interview you? where was it advertised?
how well do you know the company? i'd be cautious if i have nothing concrete from them
discuss this with them before doing anything would be my advice... ask for a full contract
do some research and play safe

good luck
Good advice gedge
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Sebastian will become famous soon enough

Thanks Kiwi and Gedge for your advise.

I know the company quite well. They know me too. I offered myself for the position.

But is that a reason enough not to give me a proper contract?

Is it ok for me to ask them for a full contract? I am quite pleased and happy with the offer and wouldn't like to push them.

Cheers

Sebastian
Old Dec 20th 2006, 10:43 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kiwi and Gedge for your advise.

I know the company quite well. They know me too. I offered myself for the position.

But is that a reason enough not to give me a proper contract?

Is it ok for me to ask them for a full contract? I am quite pleased and happy with the offer and wouldn't like to push them.

Cheers

Sebastian
I am a HR Manager. You may only receive a headed and dated letter of offer on your request this time. Contracts routinely take six weeks to come through. A signed letter of offer should satisfy you at the moment but in leiu of contract I would insist that a start date, salary, number of hours, pattern of work etc are stated on this letter.