Job hunting / seeking issues

Job hunting / seeking issues

Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:46 pm
ktm
Just Joined

ktm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job hunting / seeking issues

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I really don't tend to give my personal email address out at will.

I have no idea what "Australian standard" means, my Australia CV is the same as my UK one other than I added in "Australian Permanent resident" at the top. If you would like to PM me your CV I will take a look at it for general observations.
Thanks Bermudashorts,

I will PM my resume.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice
Talking Re: Job hunting / seeking issues

WHOOHOO !!

Got a job offer this week & signed the contact !!

And whats more, its not just a position im taking simply cause I need work, its something that if you asked me for my ideal position when I started this, this position would tick almost all the boxes !!

I said before, im not an easy fit, but with this company, its a perfect fit !

After a very long hard search, it finally happened.

The market in Perth is rather slow(unless your engineering/tradie background), and at times I considered a major step down. The lowest point in this whole process was when a different position which was already a big step down in salary & title, said they wouldnt interview me unless I was willing to accept a lower wage than advertised !

I had to take a long hard look, and say, no, thats just not playing ball, and stinks of penny pinching. Understandably, the missus thought I was letting my pride get in the way, but I felt it would damage my career. Thank god I did & kept looking. In saying that, I was willing to take a step down, taking a step down is a good thing, just not too low either. As in, iv 12 years experience, I was asked if id take an entry level position(ie. almost no experience), where as I was happy to take a position with say 5 years+ experience. Some recruiters wouldnt put me forward for certain positions, as they said it would look really bad on my cv ie. it would damage my career.

For others out there, I can only advise to keep slogging away at it. Dont be afraid to bombard the "apply" button on Seek, and call the recruiter if its something that really suits you. Sometimes, even if they dont think your suitable for that position, they may have other positions they think you might fit & call you in for a meet & greet, sometimes they just want thye meet & greet out of the way, so they can save time on future positions. At times, I had 7/8 interviews(meets & greets with recruiters, 1 or 2 with companies) in 1 week, other weeks(like easter week), I might only get 1 call. Time seems to drag by during those weeks.

I checked seek, and it seems I have over 300 positions I have applied for, over a 3 month period. Imagine that, 300 applications & 1 solid offer !

Most of my interviews were just meeting recruiters, where they get a feel for what your like, and what your suitable for. Dont under estimate these meetings, I was put forward to a few positions which were not advertised based on these meetings. And the position I finally was offered was by getting a recruiter "on my side" and he felt I was a good culture fit for a company.

I had probably 5 or 6 interiews with companies, of which, some I felt I was unsuitable and I was a final candidate on 2 of them, but the job was offered to someone they knew personally. This can be hard to take, but you got to accept it & move on.

For all others out there....Keep on looking, it'll happen eventually !

Finally, & really importantly dont limit yourself to permanent positions, a lot of Temp positions are actually "temp to perm", which means its more like a trial, to see what your like.

Oh, and I got a $10k raise, and a car & phone/laptop thrown in, without me even asking !

Last edited by smidsy; Apr 25th 2012 at 7:57 am.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 9:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting / seeking issues

Brilliant news. Many congratulations!