Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job hunting / seeking issues

Job hunting / seeking issues

Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice
Default Re: Job hunting / seeking issues

Originally Posted by commonwealth
some would argue CA is "more prestigious" than CPA because of the Global Accounting Alliance.
Interesting indeed !

I hadn't heard of that, but im sure ACCA would not promote its existence intentionally.

This explains why in Philippines(which Im connected with), CPA is the highest, as there is no CA, and also in USA, CPA is considered most prestigious.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:43 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

CPA in Australia means "Certified Practicing Accountant".
CPA in the U.S. is "Certified Public Accountant".
Similar acronyms but different qualifications. "Certified Public Accountant" is usually a government licence to practice accountancy. CPA in Australia is a qualification granted by a private professional organisation.

Interestingly, US CPA's affiliate in Australia is CA and not CPA(Aust).

If you are a Chartered Accountant in England+Wales, Scotland, Canada, N.Z., Ireland, S.Africa; or a Certified Public Accountant in the USA, HK or Japan; or a Public Auditor in Germany -- you can usually gain entry to CA (Australia) by taking bridging courses in local taxation and company laws.

I'm not sure about the other overseas qualifications.

Last edited by commonwealth; Mar 28th 2012 at 11:51 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:48 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smidsy
Interesting indeed !

I hadn't heard of that, but im sure ACCA would not promote its existence intentionally.

This explains why in Philippines(which Im connected with), CPA is the highest, as there is no CA, and also in USA, CPA is considered most prestigious.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

lol, I think you have already clarified my misunderstanding.

Im sure you can understand that I dont know as much about CPA, that you, respectfully, obviously do.

So I stand not corrected, but educated.

Thanks, thats what threads are for !

Although I think my previous post, given your post, is also understandable.

Last edited by smidsy; Mar 28th 2012 at 11:58 am.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:09 pm
Daffyd Duck

you are more likely to get a job offer based on your skills and experience, rater than qualifications.

however, if there are two equally skilled and experienced people applying for the job, the one with more beauty or qualifications will probably get the offer.

Last edited by commonwealth; Mar 28th 2012 at 12:15 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JOE2010
This is depressing to read. I am an accountant and I have been in Perth for six years now, and while I agree it is not easy to break into the market, there could be other reasons for not getting a job, other than being a migrant and ACCA.

Here are my thoughts;

1) Have you tried contract/temping work? I was ex big 4, ACCA and my first job was an accounts clerk in an aged care facility. Some find it easier to get a job at the same level, others take a step down. Six years down the line, I am now a CA and work as a senior accountant with one of the top 5 ASX employers.

2) I find it interesting the way you dismiss Recruitment Agents, yet all the jobs I have worked have been through them. Some are even qualified accountants, the things you mention are of obvious about agents, but some are pretty good and they have placed a no. of my friends. I am not sure if that attitude helps.

3) Remember in Perth some employers are very specific – e.g they need a CA/CPA, mining experience, SAP, Prontos, Hyperion. I know an agent who has been looking for three positions for an Oil and Gas company and not able to get someone who ticks all the boxes. Also, if you are not yet qualified that may work big time against you – we have employed ACCA’s in the past but no way if they were part qualified (even if the part qual was CA or CPA).

4) Don’t beat yourself too add, it takes a while to get a job and if you are not selective on the industry three months is a short time.

Best wishes.
Thank for your reply.

I didnt have my notifications set up properly, so I didnt read this till now.

In response.

1) Your completely correct, a step down is needed. However, I have to be really careful. If I go too low, ill damage my career. In fact, talking to a recruitment agent today(who was Irish also), she told me that it would be really bad for me to take her available positions, as they would look really poor on my cv. And the companies probably would not want me, as I would be bored too quickly, and probably quit.
Im being advised FC, FM is where I should be going, but its competitive.
I went for a Senior Mgt A/c role, lower pay($90k), but challenging position. I was pipped at the post, ahwell. I believe they're concerned I wouldnt stick around, even though the job led to CFO after 2 years.

2) I DONT dismiss ALL recruitment agents. I respect quite a lot of them. But Perth is a boom town, and there is an over supply on some services, ie recruitmemt companys, and a rental agent companys.

I want to make this very very clear !! I have met some very respectable recruiters, and some are extremely competent, who I respect(which I dont give out easily).

I am just pointing out, that there are a lot of bad ones. And im sure most would agree.
My criticisms are aimed at the bad ones, my understanding comments are aimed at the good ones.

3) Good point & I agree !

4) Thanks, im starting to understand that im not the only one. But on a day to day basis, it can get you down. Just got to keep a stiff upper lip as they say.

Overall, thanks very much for your reply. Sometimes when you(ie. when I) write something, it can read not as intended.

And when someone gets a little annoyed eith what iv posted, im wondering if....

a. Im wrong
b. Iv written it wrong
c. Its read wrong
d. They are wrong

I hope I have clarified a few things. Unfortunately I cant edit my old posts to be a little more diplomatic.

Last edited by smidsy; Mar 28th 2012 at 1:15 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

you are more likely to get a job offer based on your skills and experience, rater than qualifications.

however, if there are two equally skilled and experienced people applying for the job, the one with more beauty or qualifications will probably get the offer.
Having recruited in the past, I would do the same, and I understand that.

Funny story... I was recruiting for a receptionist in QLD, only women applied, and over half of them showed up in skimpy skirts, high heels & lots & lots of cleavage.

It was obvious they werent expecting that my female Assistant Manager would also be interviewing.

I left the decision to her, as she was in charge of the dept.

Last edited by smidsy; Mar 28th 2012 at 1:12 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Well i am facing the same....despite having gained so called ' Australian' experience of 4 years....

In my opinion half of the problem is ACCA and other half is colour of skin..you can try doing CA to increase your chances. Best of luck!

Originally Posted by lawre
It's very disheartening reading the post by new migrants not landing on a decent job with an ACCA qualification. In fact there are many out there facing the same predicaments me included. A majority of us are Asians and in our early 40's with almost 20 years of experience. I am asking myself this questions on and off what is exactly the problem?. I hope it is not whatever you called it discrimination.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:59 pm
ktm
Just Joined

ktm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I had a few thoughts on that and the first is that it is not such a long time since January and everything is quiet at that time anyway with people being on leave etc. So don't beat yourself up about it.

Second is perhaps you shouldn't be dissing your occupation "accountants are bean counters" etc., that is a very old fashioned view of finance and perhaps you are coming across as a little arrogant, dismissing everyone else in the occupation as if you are the only accountant that is commercially minded. Of course sell this if you believe it is a particular strength of yours but take care how you do it. And I am only going off how you have come across here of course.

Next I think you should believe in your qualification and don't let anyone dismiss it. Australian CPA is a joke, open book, multiple choice exams. There is nobody going to tell me that it is better than ACCA. Before I moved people kept saying that I would have trouble and I didn't believe it for one second, I was always adamant that I would not apologise for my qualifications, which I did many years ago anyway and that I would use my overseas experience as a selling point not a disadvantage.

Finally perhaps it is not really clear what you want to do, "Commercial Manager" seems a bit vague? Perhaps you should look for a role in finance role that requires a highly commercial accountant and then perhaps once you have a foot in the door you can think about moving into a pure commercial role if you so desire.

Good luck.
Hi Bermudashorts,

I am following your reply in every thread related with ACCA. I really appreciate the way you helping the others. I am also the ACCA member recently migrated to Australia, currently residing in Sydney. But not having local education and experience finding little bit hard at present. Can i get your email address if possible. I need some one to check my resume if it is as per Australian Standard.

Thanking you!!!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktm
Hi Bermudashorts,

I am following your reply in every thread related with ACCA. I really appreciate the way you helping the others. I am also the ACCA member recently migrated to Australia, currently residing in Sydney. But not having local education and experience finding little bit hard at present. Can i get your email address if possible. I need some one to check my resume if it is as per Australian Standard.

Thanking you!!!
I really don't tend to give my personal email address out at will.

I have no idea what "Australian standard" means, my Australia CV is the same as my UK one other than I added in "Australian Permanent resident" at the top. If you would like to PM me your CV I will take a look at it for general observations.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:07 am
Daffyd Duck

Yes just change ur UK CV by changing your contact details, adding "Australian permanent resident" and adding any relevant local experience you have.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:16 am
Just Joined

tiks10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read the threads regarding ACCA and seeking work in Australia and I am also in a similiar situation currently. I have applied to CPA Australia via the special admissions route based on my education and experience and have been accepted to be considered via this route and I am currently waiting for the committee to give their consent.

With regards to securing a job, I have also had similiar feedback : local experience required and also overqualified to move into a lower position.

I am keen to hear from others who have secured work and vice-versa.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Just reading this thread, has made me glad that I am not alone in the frustration that is the Australian job market.

I've been here just over 1 year, and managed to find a contract position about 3 weeks after arriving which ended up lasting until christmas.

Since then, there hasn't been much work advertised in my field (architectural technician) but there have been about 5 jobs advertised since christmas. I have managed to get 3 interviews out of 5 applications, and as soon as they hear my accent they ask how long I've been here and it's down hill from there. They have all said that I don't have enough 'local experience'. I'm sorry, but apart from a few subtle differences in construction methods (of which I am familiar with from my 10 months work experience here) everything is the same to as it is in the UK!!!

We are seriously considering calling it a day here and returning back to the UK, as although there's not much work there, at least I won't have any issues with 'local experience' as I have tons.

I know that this has nothing to with accounting, but I had to share my frustrations. We are possibly going to relocate to Melbourne where there is much more work for me, and give this country one last shot. I'm even proficient in Revit and there are companies crying out for people with this experience here, but they won't even entertain me because they presume that Australia is obviously special and there's no way that anyone from another country could live up to there standards.

Maybe I will start putting on a bad accent and lie about where I've come from.

Edited to say that I've also found it impossible to get any casual work or anything else due to people looking at my resume and questioning why I want to work in a position that is either 'below' me or say I'm too qualified. No position is below me - I would happily work in any area as a stop gap, but I think that is the problem. People know that when something comes up I will be off.

Last edited by xzibit; Mar 30th 2012 at 8:27 am.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

I arrived here last August as a dependant on a 457 visa, landed a 12 month contract in October at a significantly junior position to what I held in the UK and have now been made permanent employee with a significant promotion thrown in. My employer has also spoken to me about if there is anything they can do to support my husband and I in applying for a permanent visa.

Whenever I enquired about vacancies and was interviewed I was honest and upfront - acknowledged that the job applied for was junior to my previous posts and my experience but also acknowledged that I needed to gain Australian experience and knowledge and would be interested in moving up the ladder if the opportunity arose. I've worked hard, proved myself and have benefited massively. I am now on a comparable salary to what I left in the UK which is a bonus as i didn't expect that within 6 months of starting work here.

My career was in transport and contracts management in the UK, now i have transferred out of the transport industry but still in the contract management, but with project management thrown in instead.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

slippery30 will become famous soon enough

Well i am ACCA and is working in Big4 accounting firm in Brisbane since last 2 years. In my case it was comparatively easier to get job in audit firms as i have worked in Big4 abroad for 5-6 years before coming to Australia. However, i am struggling to get job as financial/management accountant which is where i want to move my career to..

I have had discussions with many recruitment agencies and applying direct to companies as well.. I think the market is very tough for overseas accountants at present.

can i ask about your progress to get CPA via special admissions route, what was CPA's response to you. I thought CPA recognizes CIMA but does not recognise ACCA, atleast thats what it says on CPA website..

Originally Posted by tiks10
I have read the threads regarding ACCA and seeking work in Australia and I am also in a similiar situation currently. I have applied to CPA Australia via the special admissions route based on my education and experience and have been accepted to be considered via this route and I am currently waiting for the committee to give their consent.

With regards to securing a job, I have also had similiar feedback : local experience required and also overqualified to move into a lower position.

I am keen to hear from others who have secured work and vice-versa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.