Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job hunt dilemma

Job hunt dilemma

Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:44 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job hunt dilemma

Take something permanent and dont feel guilty!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Hi !

Same situation for me a year ago... I had just submitted my application and had to get a new job here in Switzerland since I could'nt continue in my former one due to back problems...

I felt so bad because I knew I would be going soonish... heaps of changes happened in a year: i broke up with my partner (we were supposed to emmigrate together), broke my ankle (not that important visa-wise you will say), almost had to move houses, and my visa took longer than expected (even though i had frontloaded)... All in all I am glad I took this job - great sales experience, i have been in this position over a year now. I have told them that i am planning on going, they are cool about that as well.
And I saved more money!!!!

I would say take the job, it's there and you never know what the future holds!!!

Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

fabie
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Get a job on contract i.e. more cash until it's time to leave.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:01 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Job hunt dilemma

Originally Posted by cadman
Get a job on contract i.e. more cash until it's time to leave.
Lost my job a couple of weeks ago but we are just about to send off our stuff to the TRA for assessment. I did have a chance for an interview on Tuesday but as I knew the woman from a previous employee I thought I could not sit there and lie about being keen to further a career blah, blah ,blah.

Looking back I should have done the interview. Like many people have said on this thread you have to look after yourself, anything can happen!

I am a contractor and in IT so hopefully should not take too long to find something. Although I am looking to change the role I had before really just for the challenge and to learn more etc.

At the end of the day its better to have as much money to take out there as you can as you will probably need it.

Hope all goes OK,

R.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:50 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bodger
I'm hoping for a bit of advice on a tricky dilemma.

I've just been made redundant from work. I guess this isn't too much of a problem as I'm hoping to head to Australia, but my problem is what to do in the meantime.

I'm having trouble finding temporary work in my profession, but have been offered some permanent opportunities.

My question is, do I take a permanent job, knowing I will (hopefully) have to leave before long, or is this out of order ? My visa application hasn't gone in yet (hopefully in a month's time). I just feel bad about taking a job, only to leave after a short period (I guess around a year ?)

What do you think ?
what is the alternative. do you go on the dole for a year. visa applications as many of us know can go on for ever, some do not. get a job and dont use your emigration as an excuse to bludge off the government for a year.surely its better to keep working and put yourself into a better financial position when your visa comes thru. dont be under any illusions when it comes to an employer,you're just a number. dont just burn your bridges, blow the ba****ds out of the water. dont give yourself any reason to return.

whats the worst that could happen, youll get your old job back on nightshift