Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job hunt dilemma

Job hunt dilemma

Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice
Default Job hunt dilemma

I'm hoping for a bit of advice on a tricky dilemma.

I've just been made redundant from work. I guess this isn't too much of a problem as I'm hoping to head to Australia, but my problem is what to do in the meantime.

I'm having trouble finding temporary work in my profession, but have been offered some permanent opportunities.

My question is, do I take a permanent job, knowing I will (hopefully) have to leave before long, or is this out of order ? My visa application hasn't gone in yet (hopefully in a month's time). I just feel bad about taking a job, only to leave after a short period (I guess around a year ?)

What do you think ?

Last edited by Bodger; Mar 30th 2005 at 10:58 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:57 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Job hunt dilemma

Originally Posted by Bodger

I've just been made redundant from work. I guess this isn't too much of a problem as I'm hoping to head to Australia, but my problem is what to do in the meantime.

I'm having trouble finding temporary work in my profession, but have been offered some permanent opportunities.

My question is, do I take a permanent job, knowing I will (hopefully) have to leave before long ? My visa application hasn't gone in yet (hopefully in a month's time). I just feel bad about taking a job, only to leave after a short period.

What do you think ?
Sell off a slice of your life - never know, might pay enough for a long holiday in Aus and get it out of your system.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

My question is, do I take a permanent job, knowing I will (hopefully) have to leave before long, or is this out of order ? My visa application hasn't gone in yet (hopefully in a month's time). I just feel bad about taking a job, only to leave after a short period (I guess around a year ?)

What do you think ?
Take the job ... it's a cat eat dog world out there.

A year is plenty in a job that you don't like
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Bodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really niceBodger is just really nice

Originally Posted by Megalania
Sell off a slice of your life - never know, might pay enough for a long holiday in Aus and get it out of your system.
Since this is not possible, could you let me know the meaning behind your post ? I'm not being facetious, I'm just interested in the less literal interpretation of your advice.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:10 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Since this is not possible, could you let me know the meaning behind your post ? I'm not being facetious, I'm just interested in the less literal interpretation of your advice.
You are being offered an income on your doorstep while you wait + 6 weeks holiday in 1 years time. Against no income, lots of expenses, a move way beyond the horizon and no job when you arrive?

Get a guaranteed income in Aus BEFORE departing. If not have a long holiday in Aus with an income to return to BEFORE burning bridges?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Megalania
You are being offered an income on your doorstep while you wait + 6 weeks holiday in 1 years time. Against no income, lots of expenses, a move way beyond the horizon and no job when you arrive?

Get a guaranteed income in Aus BEFORE departing. If not have a long holiday in Aus with an income to return to BEFORE burning bridges?
Thanks for your advice. I agree taking a permanent job seems the smart thing to do from my perspective rather than hold out for some temporary work. I'm just uneasy about taking on a job and only seeing it through for a year (possibly naive I know, but I suppose a year is a decent time to spend in a job)

Thanks for your advice, I guess I just need to be more mercenary in my approach
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Bella3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the same situation as you. I was made redundant and had to find a new job knowing that I wouldn't be around for long. This was back in 2003 when applications were taking 2 years to go through. The job where I was made redundant - along with 13 others - knew that I was planning on going to Australia. But then I had to pretend there wasn't anything going on in my new job. It turned out I was only there a month before we were asked for our medicals and in the end I was there 6 months in all. I was convinced they knew - as I had gone from one law firm to another and you know how people talk - it turned out they had no idea, and were great about me going - they couldn't have been nicer, and though sorry to lose me wished me well - I am still in touch with them now. So you have to look after yourself in the short, take a permanent job if one comes your way - you never know what may happen with your application.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:34 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Thanks for your advice. I agree taking a permanent job seems the smart thing to do from my perspective rather than hold out for some temporary work. I'm just uneasy about taking on a job and only seeing it through for a year (possibly naive I know, but I suppose a year is a decent time to spend in a job)

Thanks for your advice, I guess I just need to be more mercenary in my approach
I agreee. We knew we had the visa before i started my new job and that i was going to leave within 5 months. Still i took the job in order to save more money for us then handed in my notice. No-one was upset with me and i didn't feel bad at all. Not being hard but it's hard enough to find work and let alone work you enjoy and i live to live not live to work. Therefore i took it, saved and migrated here with no regrets and a better financial base for us.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:46 pm
ABCDiamond

What do you think ?
I've had many employees work for me for less than a year. Employers tend to try to do what is best for themselves, you should think the same way.

It should be no dilema, take the job.

Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

I think in the current climate a year is actually a good amoubt of time to spend in a job. I agree with al above. Take it!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 6:18 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think ?

Take the job !!

Worse case scenario if you fail the application (God Forbid) least you've got a job !!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:37 am
Just Joined

jacksma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wargod
Take the job !!

Worse case scenario if you fail the application (God Forbid) least you've got a job !!
Definitely take the job.
I left my job in October last year and was about to apply for my visa, I told my new employees of my plans and they were more than happy to offer me any type of employment contract. I opted for a temporary, monthly renewable as felt comfortable with this.
I didn't apply for the visa until Feb this year so they'll get a few more months from me yet. (I am a nurse by the way so plenty of jobs).

Jacksma
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Take it !
Old Mar 31st 2005, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Put an application in this morning !

Thanks all
Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

What do you think ?
I'm doing exactly the same. Took redundancy in January and thought I would do contract work until visa was granted. However, saw a local job on doorstep paying good money and got it. Felt a fraud taking it, knowing I would probably leave in 12-18 months. But my thought process was, visa is not 100%, save money whilst working with the benefits of perm position.

Someone said to me, the company wouldn't think twice about making redundancies if they had to, so look after number 1.

Take the job and money...the more dosh you take to Oz the better time you will have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.