Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IT job condition in Australia.

IT job condition in Australia.

Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:43 am
Just Joined

andrew909 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT job condition in Australia.

Hello guys, Following this forum for a long time hence this is my first post here.
I am currently working in information security sector in a consultancy firm and is with my wife who is an Australian citizen. Recently she got a good scholarship in Monash and she does not want to miss it. So we decided that we will move to Melbourne for the coming 1.5 years.
But I would not like to waste this time. Can you guys give any idea about the IT job market in Melbourne right now, specially in information security area? I have some very good certifications in this field like CISSP, PMP, CISA, CCNA and ITIL, which should be enough to land a job anywhere, but I have no idea about Australia though. The only idea that I got about Australian job market is from one of my Indian colleague who studied in UoM, but did not stayed there after post graduation. His remarks are quite negative and loathing about anything in Australia, so I just want to get comments from others whether the condition in Australia is really that bad..
Cheers! Andrew
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT job condition in Australia.

Hi Andrew,

I don't know about Melbourne IT prospects, but I'm sure some peeps will be along soon enough to advise.

Good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks ..
Old Jun 18th 2014, 11:43 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: IT job condition in Australia.

Originally Posted by andrew909
Hello guys, Following this forum for a long time hence this is my first post here.
I am currently working in information security sector in a consultancy firm and is with my wife who is an Australian citizen. Recently she got a good scholarship in Monash and she does not want to miss it. So we decided that we will move to Melbourne for the coming 1.5 years.
But I would not like to waste this time. Can you guys give any idea about the IT job market in Melbourne right now, specially in information security area? I have some very good certifications in this field like CISSP, PMP, CISA, CCNA and ITIL, which should be enough to land a job anywhere, but I have no idea about Australia though. The only idea that I got about Australian job market is from one of my Indian colleague who studied in UoM, but did not stayed there after post graduation. His remarks are quite negative and loathing about anything in Australia, so I just want to get comments from others whether the condition in Australia is really that bad..
Cheers! Andrew
Andrew - in IT in Australia now qualifications and experience in CAMS will help you to stand above the crowd. (Cloud, Analytics, Mobile and Social).

Shedloads of people have CCNAs, PMP, ITIL. If you can apply those skills in CAMS somehow then you will have a much better chance.

IT is changing very very fast and the most employable people will be the ones that can keep up.

BB
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BB for the advise. So infosec area is already filled up? Bad for me..
That's true IT is really evolving at a very first rate. The definition of "sexy" is changing rapidly in the industry.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is that there is work for good people of every discipline but the market for some skills is crowded and it can be hard to stand out, work often comes from personal connections rather than traditional recruiting which can make it tough for a newcomer to get established.

I knew a very highly qualified SAP guy who really struggled at first in Sydney he ended up taking a low paid position to start with and it was 6 months until he found the right opening, since then he's done great.
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Cheers! Andrew
Do you have ArcSight, Splunk, Cloudera, AppSec experience/Certification?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 11:44 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Andrew - in IT in Australia now qualifications and experience in CAMS will help you to stand above the crowd. (Cloud, Analytics, Mobile and Social).

Shedloads of people have CCNAs, PMP, ITIL. If you can apply those skills in CAMS somehow then you will have a much better chance.

IT is changing very very fast and the most employable people will be the ones that can keep up.

BB
Indeed.

(CAMS is also known as SMAC).
Old Jun 20th 2014, 6:59 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BB for the advise. So infosec area is already filled up? Bad for me..
That's true IT is really evolving at a very first rate. The definition of "sexy" is changing rapidly in the industry.
Isn't IT and sexy an oxymoron?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Do you have ArcSight, Splunk, Cloudera, AppSec experience/Certification?
Unfortunately I don't have experience/cert in those domains. But so far my findings is that Australia is not really a good country for IT professionals ( job wise) yet it is interesting to see that they are still giving tons of VISA's to IT professionals! I have contacted with some of my friends who have some idea about current job market of IT and what they say is truly frightening, most of the jobs are being outsourced and even uni grads/ who lost their jobs recently are struggling to find a new job.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Isn't IT and sexy an oxymoron?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately I don't have experience/cert in those domains. But so far my findings is that Australia is not really a good country for IT professionals ( job wise) yet it is interesting to see that they are still giving tons of VISA's to IT professionals! I have contacted with some of my friends who have some idea about current job market of IT and what they say is truly frightening, most of the jobs are being outsourced and even uni grads/ who lost their jobs recently are struggling to find a new job.
Shame as we cannot get enough people with these skills & yes we are having to bring people in from abroad on 457s.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Shame as we cannot get enough people with these skills & yes we are having to bring people in from abroad on 457s.
They say the same thing back in England, but what they really mean is; we cannot get enough people with these skills who will work for a lesser wage.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers! Andrew
Try India