Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Job application - feedback please :)

Wikiposts

Job application - feedback please :)

Old May 24th 2004, 8:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone
Thanks ppl!

Update:
This is the feedback I got, very helpful (and I should've listened better to you lot about specific examples etc) Oh,and she does say it's a good application

And Pascal:
Well, it was a parttime programmer job(so, not for him), BUT, there will be a full time designer job coming up, and they are interested in meeting him to 'discuss the position' when we arrive!!!!!
So, fingers crossed once again!!!!!!

Definitely useful feeback there - for me as much as you, since I will be applying for similar jobs! Now you know what you need to work on for future applications.

Sounds promising for Pascal....
Old May 25th 2004, 6:14 am
f1junkie

Sander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura aboutSander has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Simone
Thanks ppl!

Update:
This is the feedback I got, very helpful (and I should've listened better to you lot about specific examples etc) Oh,and she does say it's a good application

And Pascal:
Well, it was a parttime programmer job(so, not for him), BUT, there will be a full time designer job coming up, and they are interested in meeting him to 'discuss the position' when we arrive!!!!!
So, fingers crossed once again!!!!!!
Hey Simone,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. But at least you've got some more info on how your application was received and what you can improve for next time!

Hopefully Pascal will be able to land that designer job...that would be great!

Hhhmm, maybe the part-time programming job could be something for me

Hehe, well I don't even know when I'll be in Perth yet...so probably I should wait. However, I do like the idea of working for UWA, so I'll be keeping an eye on their web-site. I don't remember seeing a vacancy for part-time programmer though?!

Anyway, what I was wondering...she said it was unclear what the extent of your experience outside your studies was... Which of course is difficult since you're only just finishing your studies. I mean; you need somewhere to get some experience.
For all the jobs I've seen sofar they always ask 3-5 years of experience and a huge list of skills you only develop on the job...how are you supposed to get your first job then?!

Old May 25th 2004, 8:30 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sander

For all the jobs I've seen sofar they always ask 3-5 years of experience and a huge list of skills you only develop on the job...how are you supposed to get your first job then?!

That's the eternal question! It's the same wherever you go, not just in Oz. You basically have a couple of options: a) lie. Tell them you've got more experience than you have - although not a good idea if you need to provide references b) get some experience by doing anything, voluntary work, whatever. May not be years of experience, but it all helps. Any experience of having worked in a proper working environment is better than no experience at all. c) prove to any potential employee that you are willing to learn, learn quickly and learn well. Talk your way into it and agree to a probationary period, training on the job etc.

I talked my way into the job I have now - I was 10 years to young, with no experience or the necessary qualifications (beyond my degree) and I was clearly a risk. But employers will often take it if they have confidence in you because under-qualified = cheap

I also talked my way into my job in Oz and then fought to prove I could do it.

If the worse comes to the worse, be prepared to start at the bottom. If you are good at what you do, you'll progress quickly gaining experience along the way.
Old May 25th 2004, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

You've deffo done the right thing asking for feedback... it can make you feel rotten doing it, but it's well worth it! Best wishes for your next application!
Old May 26th 2004, 1:23 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Simone,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job. But at least you've got some more info on how your application was received and what you can improve for next time!

Hopefully Pascal will be able to land that designer job...that would be great!

Hhhmm, maybe the part-time programming job could be something for me

Hehe, well I don't even know when I'll be in Perth yet...so probably I should wait. However, I do like the idea of working for UWA, so I'll be keeping an eye on their web-site. I don't remember seeing a vacancy for part-time programmer though?!
Nope, we heard about it from 'renth' who works there.
Yep, keep checking the site. Also Murdoch, curtin etc.

Anyway, what I was wondering...she said it was unclear what the extent of your experience outside your studies was... Which of course is difficult since you're only just finishing your studies. I mean; you need somewhere to get some experience.

Yeah, what bundy said.............
It's everywhere.
That's also why I put my work experience in between the other real jobs, makes it look like more... ?

Thanks Larissa

Old May 26th 2004, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all

Dear Simone,

I am sorry too that you didnt get the job, but the positive thing is that you got a good feedback and that if you hadn't applied you would have never got the feedback - so one step at a time.

They told you that your application was good as well so just improve a couple of things and dont refrain from selling yourself.

Thank you so much for sharing all this with us, it will definitly help me in about a year when (shall I say if and touch wood?) this bl**dy visa gets granted !!!

Fingers crossed with pascal!

fabie