Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jim dispatched his first cane toad last night

Jim dispatched his first cane toad last night

Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:36 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jim dispatched his first cane toad last night

He caught it in a plastic bag and dropped a brick on it! Apparantly the standard method is to catch them and then shove them in the freezer to kill them. Don't think we'll be doing that.

Jane
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:44 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jim dispatched his first cane toad last night

Originally posted by JaneandJim
He caught it in a plastic bag and dropped a brick on it! Apparantly the standard method is to catch them and then shove them in the freezer to kill them. Don't think we'll be doing that.

Jane
freezer????? By far the easiest & quickest way is a 5 iron, Dagboys golf has improved no end since hes been in OZ .
Old Apr 27th 2004, 10:56 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Poor things
Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:16 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

In my newbie ignorance I wasnt sure if the creatures that frequent my garden every night were cane toads or frogs Had a vet friend over at the weekend who was able to confirm they're frogs so no drastic action required
Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:42 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Ok, this is something I dont know about. Whats so bad about cane toads?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 11:45 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
Poor things
They're classed as pests because they kill the native wildlife (or at least the natives die when they eat them!).

Mrs Dagboy, doesn't the golf club get mucky? Who gets to clean it?

Jane
Old Apr 27th 2004, 12:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
They're classed as pests because they kill the native wildlife (or at least the natives die when they eat them!).

Mrs Dagboy, doesn't the golf club get mucky? Who gets to clean it?

Jane
Pollster, poor things my arse, I would happily bludgeon every canetoad to death if I could, they kill hundreds of dogs, cats & native animals every year & can kill a small child. They have absolutely NO redeeming features. They are a noxious pest. Spawn of the devil .

Jane, they have exceptionally tough skin, so no muck & no splatter, you can hit them as hard as you like & they dont look any different. In fact they are so tough that if you dont absolutely wallop them (with whatever you kill them with), you can come back an hour later & they will have hopped away. Be warned! Its a bit like a horror movie where the dead body has moved from where it was left .
Old Apr 27th 2004, 12:44 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by loose
Ok, this is something I dont know about. Whats so bad about cane toads?
It is easier to ask what is good about cane toads.
To which the answer is ....... nothing.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 12:58 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cane toads - just in case you are not convinced

From one of the many web sites about the noxious little bastards.

The toad's weapons are scarcely subtle. It bears on its warty shoulders two glands, the parotids, which, when the animal is disturbed, exude an elaborate cocktail of toxins, among them marinobufalin, adrenaline and hydroxytryptamine. These combine to induce a state of severe toxic shock in any creature foolish enough to ingest a toad. The cascade of symptoms is well-known: salivation, prostration, cardiac arrhythmia, pulmonary oedema, hypertension, convulsions, death.

The toad's other trump card is its remarkably philoprogenitive nature. Toads couple constantly, with gusto; indeed, male toads are routinely encountered trying to mate with females that have been dead for several days: "Class," says Miles, "is certainly not one of their strong points."

Fertilisation achieved, a mother toad will lay up to 30,000 eggs in sticky, black-spotted strands, which develop into highly active tadpoles.

The cycle produces fresh toadlets each month, allowing for an almost limitless increase in numbers. Further, the toad is hard to kill: even when gutted, they still move about; they can survive being struck by four-wheel drives.

Their brain is encased, rather like a Volvo passenger, in a squarish reinforced box that can soak up a lot of punishment.

Well-defended as they are, the toads are unusually fearless: thus, they are easily found, and eaten, by Australian native animals. To make things worse, they resemble, of course, frogs, the tasty food source of choice for goannas, pythons, brown snakes, green tree snakes and many other tropical reptiles. These species are expected to suffer grievously from the toad's advance, while the survival chances of the "amazingly stupid" northern quoll are – let's be frank – minimal: pessimistic rangers have already moved special quoll populations to islands north of Arnhem Land.
from this.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by DagBoy
It is easier to ask what is good about cane toads.
To which the answer is ....... nothing.
What happens if you lick one ? Mad trippy experiences ?
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:40 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Innyjim
What happens if you lick one ? Mad trippy experiences ?
Actually I have heard of people who have boiled them up (or cooked them or something similar?) & then ingested it orally & apparently its very hallucinogenic. Not something that I would even be contemplating :scared: , would rather have a couple of these .
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

jezdavies is an unknown quantity at this point

Last time I was in Queensland the locals told me they'd make a day out of finding canetoads and belting them with cricket bats.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jezdavies
Last time I was in Queensland the locals told me they'd make a day out of finding canetoads and belting them with cricket bats.
Wow ! And said there wasn't a lot to do up there !!??
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:50 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by jezdavies
Thats called "sport" up here jez
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:04 pm
Forum Regular

MeganEkno is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Pollster, poor things my arse, I would happily bludgeon every canetoad to death if I could, they kill hundreds of dogs, cats & native animals every year & can kill a small child. They have absolutely NO redeeming features. They are a noxious pest. Spawn of the devil .

Jane, they have exceptionally tough skin, so no muck & no splatter, you can hit them as hard as you like & they dont look any different. In fact they are so tough that if you dont absolutely wallop them (with whatever you kill them with), you can come back an hour later & they will have hopped away. Be warned! Its a bit like a horror movie where the dead body has moved from where it was left .

Mrs Dagboy - you make me exceptionally proud!!! Well done you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.