Jet Ski?

Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

NIGEL & ADELE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jet Ski?

We are planning on using a container when we move (early 2005).
My question is - can i take my jetski in the container?
If so does the ski need any special documentation? (REGO?). I believe rego is for road going vehicles, am i right?
I know i will be able to buy a ski once we arrive, BUT, i paid very little for this one, so thought if there was no HASSLE in taking it, i would.

CHEERS NIGE
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Jet Ski?

Originally posted by NIGEL & ADELE
If so does the ski need any special documentation? (REGO?). I believe rego is for road going vehicles, am i right?
I know i will be able to buy a ski once we arrive, BUT, i paid very little for this one, so thought if there was no HASSLE in taking it, i would.

CHEERS NIGE
Ditto, most of this for a kayak, not the ski bit obviously but does it need any sort of certification etc.

Lindsey
Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Looks like nobody knows. LOL

Lindsey
Old Jul 20th 2004, 6:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Not my subject but try here for starters:

http://www.vk4cp.com/jetski/
Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I'm pretty sure you don't need a rego for jet ski's out here, in fact I don't think you even need a rego for boats unless it's comercial and carries passengers.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 7:03 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

or here:

http://www.ozpwc.com/ozpwc/news/news.asp?type_id=1
Old Jul 20th 2004, 11:48 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

CHEERS NIGE
Yes you do need rego whether it's a boat or a jet ski, and you also need a licence to operate a jetski.

All boats and PWc's here in Qld need registration if they are over 4hp.. which is most peoples crafts
Other states should have very similar rules too ( you'll have to check out the laws regarding NSW etc if you're going there.. rego, licences, tests etc sometimes differ a little bit from state to state)

I have a boat, and can safely tell you that it's rego'd and I also have a recreational ship licence ( got to laugh my licence say's SHIP, not boat... aye.. you can imagine it).. a boat licence also covers me to operate a jet ski if I wanted to drive one

(if you had titled this thread water crafts or something I might have read it earlier, or someone else with a boat too might have seen it . I or they could have told you that you need rego and licence for a jetski .. just like you need them for certain boats)

Rego - don't worry about it's cheap.. I pay around $60 a year ( renewal, annual fee.. can't remember how much it was when I first registered it - this cost I'm quoting is my renewal fee I pay) for my boat.. and a further $60 for the trailer ( trailers need registration as well) .A jet ski probably will be cheaper again, or maybe the same price... I don't know the exact fees for rego on a jet ski is... but it certainly won't be more than a boat.

Licence - , you need a boat licence for a jetski in Qld. I took mine a few years ago now, so the actual test may have changed slightly I don't know. But when I sat mine it was a theory and a practical - I went with a licensed trainer.. a two day course, first day was learning about all the beacons, buoys s and cardinal marks, weather etc etc, the second day was a practical in the testers boat . You don't have to use one of these, you can book up with Qld transport etc and use your own
craft, but I'd recommend a course for safety's sake and for the theory test - I think I had around 100 questions ( it may have been 80 .. or something.. but there quite a few questions mostly on the cardinal marks and beacons etc)

a link to Qld transport regarding PWC below ( personal water crafts - i.e. jet ski's) it will explain it to you. For other states go to their transport site of that state - same place where you get rego and a licence for your car in Qld.

As for the person with the kayak.. no, it hasn't got a motor.. you need nothing same as a canoe etc... to the best of my knowledge anything which has no motor you don't need rego and certainly don't need a licence.

Hope that helps, explains it for you a bit
cheers

Link for qld transport regarding PWC- ie jet ski's , rego and licence http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/index/msq_pwc

qld transport page with licence and rego for crafts : http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/home.../licensingrego

also found this for NSW http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/pwc.html ( same sort of rules as Qld it looks to me bar the licensing.. .. seems they have a Pwc licence - seperate from a boat licence, a tiny bit different to Qld)

If you're going to another state .. just search for the term" PWC" licence WA etc- you'll get more results that way ( jet ski's fall under PWC, same as wave runners etc - i.e. personal water crafts)

PPS not sure about documentation for bringing a jet ski with you - you're going to have to check out Australian importation /customs laws etc, or ask your shippers regarding that.. can't see why there would be a problem, I brought two racing go-karts and a load of engines into Aus with me in my container, and didn't pay any tax on them etc.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 1:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, what Ceri said , you most definitely need a licence, a course costs around $120 & covers theory & practical & it will need to be registered, our boat costs us about $130 for renewal but it has no trailer, so it must go on length if you comapre it to Ceris (18 or 19 foot compared to 31 foot?) (or perhaps its engines/horsepower?) , so I have no idea what a jetski would be worth.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 2:10 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Yep, what Ceri said , you most definitely need a licence, a course costs around $120 & covers theory & practical & it will need to be registered, our boat costs us about $130 for renewal but it has no trailer, so it must go on length if you comapre it to Ceris (18 or 19 foot compared to 31 foot?) (or perhaps its engines/horsepower?) , so I have no idea what a jetski would be worth.
It definitely goes on size of your vessel not the motor for the cost of rego.. here in Qld anyway.. so jet ski's should be cheap ( haven't a clue about the other states.. but it's probably the same)
I have a 150 merc on mine

cheers
Old Jul 21st 2004, 2:24 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I thought it was probably length rather than engine size, we have two 225hp mercruisers. If jet skis are worked out the same as boats ie size, rego would be pretty cheap for them!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:20 am
Rocket Scientist

yeah, I thought it was probably length rather than engine size, we have two 225hp mercruisers. If jet skis are worked out the same as boats ie size, rego would be pretty cheap for them!

Just had a look, up to 4.5m rego is $58.65. $128/year for us for the boat, nothing for the tender (its 4hp).

heres the QT website

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/rego_rec
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:39 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Just had a look, up to 4.5m rego is $58.65. $128/year for us for the boat, nothing for the tender (its 4hp).

heres the QT website

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/rego_rec
yep.. I have a 4.5 metre boat ( which is about 15 foot.. 14 point something)

My boat is a fibergalss runabout ( sundowner).. engine 150 merc (illegal in NSW by the way.. too big an engine on a 4.5 metre boat .. goes like hell .. ohh ohh ohh ..rev head motion .. Qld you can.. I've said something nice about Qld at last..lol) .. haven't got a full pic of the boat on this computer I don't think.. I'm just looking now through my files.. found this one though

I hugged him and cuddled him and put him back ( shark fishing) ..this was green , you can just about see the side of the boat though lol
Attached Thumbnails Jet Ski?-moreton-bay-boat-fighting-shark.jpg  
Old Jul 21st 2004, 3:42 am
Ceri

another bit of the boat.. be damned if I can find a full pic , I mostly
just have fish pics on this computer..

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jul 21st 2004, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much for all the replies, I'll sit down tonight after work and have a serioius read at all the links.

Now i suppose i need to find out if its OK to put the ski in the container. I think i'll contact various container companies to get there opinions

MANY THANKS EVERYONE NIGE