Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jet-lag and flying well...

Jet-lag and flying well...

Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Jet-lag and flying well...

Was just reading up on jet-lag and found a very interesting site about it. Amongst the useful snippets of information contained in it were:

- NASA estimates you need one day for every time zone crossed to regain normal rhythm and energy levels. A five-hour time difference means you will require five days to get back to normal.
- Providing a constant supply of fresh air in the cabin costs the airlines money and some airlines are more willing to oblige than others. The air supply in business and first-class is often better than in economy class. A lack of good air helps make you tired and irritable and can cause headaches. Sometimes if you ask the flight attendants to turn up the fresh air they will do so.
- Go easy on the frequent meals served in-flight. You don't need them. Sitting in a cramped position puts extra pressure on your stomach.
Full link here
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jet-lag and flying well...

Originally Posted by Hutch
- NASA estimates you need one day for every time zone crossed to regain normal rhythm and energy levels. A five-hour time difference means you will require five days to get back to normal.[/INDENT]
Full link here
lol wish i knew that when i was a ba cart tart...think our union would have been well pleased with that snippet of data however ba looks after it's staff pretty good, no complaints from moi
Old Jan 30th 2006, 4:27 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Another good thing for jetlag is Melatonin. I have used it before
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:20 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
When we came over..... we took off at 10am...from manchester.....think it was 13 hrs to singapore ... had a short break there (3hrs) and we landed at 8pm. in briz.... and went to bed by 10.30pm...... woke up the next morning fully refreshed.... no jet lag...

boomie
xx
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:38 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomie
When we came over..... we took off at 10am...from manchester.....think it was 13 hrs to singapore ... had a short break there (3hrs) and we landed at 8pm. in briz.... and went to bed by 10.30pm...... woke up the next morning fully refreshed.... no jet lag...

boomie
xx
I think evening flights make it worse, as that is what we had, and we found we wanted to go to sleep not long after take off
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:56 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Went to Brisbane a few weeks ago from London Gatwick via Dubai and Singapore, didn't sleep for a minute during the whole flight, arrived there 0635am on a saturday (Left Uk on a thursday night) busy first day sightseeing with an energetic 4 year old :scared: went to bed around 10pm had no jetlag whatsoever, same on the way back.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boomerang
Went to Brisbane a few weeks ago from London Gatwick via Dubai and Singapore, didn't sleep for a minute during the whole flight, arrived there 0635am on a saturday (Left Uk on a thursday night) busy first day sightseeing with an energetic 4 year old :scared: went to bed around 10pm had no jetlag whatsoever, same on the way back.

good for you...we fly a lot and never have 'jet-lag'...a lot of it is mind over matter...just switch you brain onto the time of location and eat the appropriate meals...no probs...i've heard people complain of so called jet-lag when flying across the usa...lol
Old Jan 30th 2006, 7:17 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

When I flew back from Oz last time, I took two spoonfulls of Nightnurse (The liquid stuff, not the tablets) when I got on the plane. I was out like a light and slept all the way from San Fransisco to London. The stewardess had to wake me up on approach to check my seatbelt.

It really worked for me, and when I got to London at 7am, it was just like waking up in the morning. I suffered no jet lag on that leg, though I was a bit achey for several hours after arriving.

S
Old Jan 30th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomie

boomie
xx

We did the same thing. My husband does the flight frequently and always flies on that one as we find you wake up the next day ok.

Amanda
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:00 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, where do you get it from? Can you get it in Oz?

I had horrific jetlag when we came back from Hawaii last year - never suffered before
Old Jan 30th 2006, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Clippies
Ooh, where do you get it from? Can you get it in Oz?

I had horrific jetlag when we came back from Hawaii last year - never suffered before
I don't know if you can get it in Oz, I got mine off ebay

From an ebay health shop in USA,

Let me know if you want me to PM details
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:04 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

I found trying to sleep at the 'right time' and stuff like that pretty much no good. We had evening flights out here both times and we just slept when we felt tired rather than try to keep our 'body clock' right. We landed in the morning and kept going during the day, going to bed at a reasonable time on teh night, getting a good night sleep and that seemed to do it. It still took a day or two to get into a good pattern again, but found it worked for us.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

yep - definately recommend the landing late eve/ night time at your destination- that way you have a drink o chat and then go to bed at the 'regular' time and next day you're pretty much good to go. (We tried landing early in the morning, 6 - 8am, a couple of times and we've really suffered for it)
Old Jan 31st 2006, 4:45 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
yep - definately recommend the landing late eve/ night time at your destination- that way you have a drink o chat and then go to bed at the 'regular' time and next day you're pretty much good to go. (We tried landing early in the morning, 6 - 8am, a couple of times and we've really suffered for it)
A good example of how different people respond in different ways - a flight like the one you described had me messed up for days - could never seem to get back on track. I prefer the get in early and have a day awake approach.
Old Jan 31st 2006, 6:32 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Gav didn't get over his jet lag for about 4 or 5 days when he arrived here, yet I was on exactly the same flight numbers (albeit a month apart), so landing at the same time in Sydney and didn't suffer the teeniest bit of jet lag... weird. we were both in economy.

I had melatonin lined up ready, but never needed it. It is supposed to be good though.

Does anyone know if it's a load of bull about it depending which direction you're travelling in? i.e. east to west or west to east... because Gav just flew back to the UK and didn't suffer with jet lag, although had a terrible time from the UK to Oz... I did assume it was a load of rubbish that theory though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.