Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Jersey Royal New Potatoes.

Jersey Royal New Potatoes.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:10 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Question Jersey Royal New Potatoes.

Okay, they're not for me, I'm not all that fussed, but Mrs DUP has reached the point where she's dreaming of Jersey Royals.

So, my question is: has anyone seen any Jersey Royals in Oz? If not, what are the chances of getting some exported out here? I'd be quite happy to plant an acre or two of them if I could get the seed potatoes.

Any keen gardeners out there?
Attached Thumbnails Jersey Royal New Potatoes.-jersey.jpg  
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

They are not Jersey Royals but the IGA on Hall St in Bondi Beach does some nice new potatoes. When I am next there I will see if they are still available.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:22 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
They are not Jersey Royals but the IGA on Hall St in Bondi Beach does some nice new potatoes. When I am next there I will see if they are still available.
Thanks, BP, but Mrs DUP (being a vegetarian) is a connoisseur. They HAVE to be Jersey Royals!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:25 am

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...ips/08/818.asp

"He says the demand for these kinds of potatoes is growing. "Australians are noticeably becoming more 'potato literate'."

I guess Mrs DUP is potato literate.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:28 am
I like kittens.

http://ourhouse.ninemsn.com.au/ourho...ips/08/818.asp

"He says the demand for these kinds of potatoes is growing. "Australians are noticeably becoming more 'potato literate'."

I guess Mrs DUP is potato literate.
You're right there, BP, and thanks for the link - it says this bloke has Jersey Royals here! Mrs DUP is going to be a happy bunny if I can get her some of those.

Thanks, mate!

P.S. Just spoke to him, and he's keeping a box of Sharlots aside for me to pick up on Monday (they're digging Sunday.) Apparently he's stopped the Jerseys as they weren't selling too well. Still, he reckons the Sharlots are better flavoured, so if I can convert Mrs DUP I should be sorted. Now where's Flemington Markets? I've got my USB around here somewhere....

Last edited by downunderpom; Feb 10th 2004 at 1:37 am.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Jersey Royal New Potatoes.

Originally posted by downunderpom
Okay, they're not for me, I'm not all that fussed, but Mrs DUP has reached the point where she's dreaming of Jersey Royals.

So, my question is: has anyone seen any Jersey Royals in Oz? If not, what are the chances of getting some exported out here? I'd be quite happy to plant an acre or two of them if I could get the seed potatoes.

Any keen gardeners out there?

I doubt very much you could export them out here, due to the strict quarantine regulations. I'm not sure about seeds, but bulbs/living things are a no -no. My mum-in-law sent me some daffodil bulbs Christmas before last ( doubt they would have grown in Brisbane anyway) .. they were seized by customs. As for shipping the actual potatoes out here - no. Seeds I'm not sure - but I'd be very surprised if you could.

They are quite strict about things like this.

cheers
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:39 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Ceri
I doubt very much you could export them out here, due to the strict quarantine regulations. I'm not sure about seeds, but bulbs/living things are a no -no. My mum-in-law sent me some daffodil bulbs Christmas before last ( doubt they would have grown in Brisbane anyway) .. they were seized by customs. As for shipping the actual potatoes out here - no. Seeds I'm not sure - but I'd be very surprised if you could.

cheers
Just edited my previous post. Apparently he DID manage to get the Jerseys out here, but has stopped growing them through lack of demand.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:41 am

They are just off the Parramatta road between Auburn and Strathfield. I think that is Flemington markets.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Looks Like I'll be off to flemington markets too.

I confess to being spud literate. We really miss the taste of new potatoes, especially Jersey Royals - unsurpassable in the spud world
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Ceri

cheers
My fear would be how much they would cost!! I like blueberries, if you can find them $5.95 for a 100 grams!!!! Similar to raspberries, was peeing myself laughing the other night Nigella Lawson was waffling on about this recipie from OZ (yeah right love) full of raspberries and a couple of other indgredients that here would cost you a couple of arms and a leg.

Coles was quite a giggle the other day, it apologised for the price of veg on a hand written bit of A4 scribbled out in Texta, saying bad weather was to blame (Heat wipes out veg), probably explains the $9.00 kilo brocoli, and $6.00 a cauliflower. Bought some frozen peas instead.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:46 am

http://www.sydneymarkets.com.au/html/fresh/
I wonder if anything is open midweek as I avoid westlife at the weekends to keep cool.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:54 am
I like kittens.

http://www.sydneymarkets.com.au/html/fresh/
I wonder if anything is open midweek as I avoid westlife at the weekends to keep cool.
This guy was saying Monday / Tuesday morning is when he goes in. What's the diff between Flemington Market and Sydney's Paddy's Market?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

DUP...just did a search for you, but hte best i could come up with is this site, which says Jersey Royals are being grown on King Island, but doesnt say by who!!! Havent got time to delve deeper for you.

http://www.marinobros.com.au/know_your_potatoes.html
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:55 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by podgypossum
DUP...just did a search for you, but hte best i could come up with is this site, which says Jersey Royals are being grown on King Island, but doesnt say by who!!! Havent got time to delve deeper for you.

http://www.marinobros.com.au/know_your_potatoes.html
Thanks, PP!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 1:58 am
I like kittens.

Originally posted by downunderpom
This guy was saying Monday / Tuesday morning is when he goes in. What's the diff between Flemington Market and Sydney's Paddy's Market?
D'oh! With Flemington railway station right next to it I guess Sydney's Paddys Market IS Flemington Market!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.