Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

JELLIED EELS in Perth?

JELLIED EELS in Perth?

Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:11 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JELLIED EELS in Perth?

The original Jellied eels , were actually Lampreys not eels, ............mm
Old Apr 16th 2010, 10:33 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

The good old 'cockney' jellied eels are the european sargasso sea breeding ones.

The recipe described on wiki sounds a bit poncy and probably not how your granny would remember them.

You simply boil the eel segments (chop em into 1-1&1/2" chunks for a few minutes in just enough water to cover them, the liquor (cooking water that was traditionally used in the gravy substitute in pie and mash shops) should set with the natural gelatin in the bones but a leaf to assist is normally added, allow to cool and set, add malt vinegar (chilli or normal) and ground white pepper to personal taste and voila.

It is hard to f@ck this up to be honest but geting the eels is the hard bit.

For the record a lot of supermarkets in the UK do jellied eels and most independent fish mongers too (I am in the SE though so probably not nationally).
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

etteltac is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am really overwhelmed with the advice, support, suggestions and recipes but I am sad to report. I dont think anywhere actually sells Jellied Eels in Australia and finding any kind of eel to try and make my own is proving to be quite the task. I have been too, called and emailed a number of places that dont know or havent replied yet. I am going to a sushi place tomorrow that someone said might have a source for the eels. I am not quite ready to give up yet. But I must admit my hopes are fading.

Newcross boy thanks for the recipe I think I will give that one a go if I find the eels. Newcross, is that where you are now? Thats close to where we were from some years ago. Anyway once again thank you all so much for your help this is a great place to go when you need a helping hand. Hope you all have a great weekend.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:20 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rinkerdink

The recipe described on wiki sounds a bit poncy and probably not how your granny would remember them.

come on...its her birthday ! let her enjoy life with a fancy eel dish.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:24 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by etteltac
Well I am really overwhelmed with the advice, support, suggestions and recipes but I am sad to report. I dont think anywhere actually sells Jellied Eels in Australia and finding any kind of eel to try and make my own is proving to be quite the task. I have been too, called and emailed a number of places that dont know or havent replied yet. I am going to a sushi place tomorrow that someone said might have a source for the eels. I am not quite ready to give up yet. But I must admit my hopes are fading.

Newcross boy thanks for the recipe I think I will give that one a go if I find the eels. Newcross, is that where you are now? Thats close to where we were from some years ago. Anyway once again thank you all so much for your help this is a great place to go when you need a helping hand. Hope you all have a great weekend.
look mate, there are plenty of eels in the ponds at the botanic gardens in brisbane. You can literally hold a piece of bait at the water's edge and they'll take it off you (if the ducks or turtles don't get there first).

I'd hate to see your nan go without. If you want, I can go and grab one, then post it over in a jiffy bag?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:30 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
look mate, there are plenty of eels in the ponds at the botanic gardens in brisbane. You can literally hold a piece of bait at the water's edge and they'll take it off you (if the ducks or turtles don't get there first).

I'd hate to see your nan go without. If you want, I can go and grab one, then post it over in a jiffy bag?
I'm droooling at the thought of all that easy to come by eel
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:45 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
I'm droooling at the thought of all that easy to come by eel
I was exaggerating a wee bit, there's only a couple of eels in there. Still, plenty to make an eel pie, I reckon...
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Ahh what the heck, bag em up and send em over.. shes getting botanic jellied eels.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys, it is my Mum's 92nd birthday on Anzac Day At her age she really wants or needs anything material so I have been racking my brains trying to figure out what to do for her to make it special.

She was born in North London and along with all the great stories she tells, she always makes us laugh with her love of things she longs for. Namely: Jellied Eels. (Yuck!) Each to their own yeah, hehe anyway, I thought what a great present, I will buy her some Jellied Eels and make a full on London experience for her. But so far I cant find anywhere here in Perth that sells them. I have found recipes and I guess if push came to shove I could try and make them, that would be interesting. Probably not quite how she remembered them but they say it's the thought that counts right?

So I thought where better to go than ask for help here. Does anyone know of somewhere in Perth to buy, or over East that could send them to Perth or even anyone in Perth that has bought the eels and made them form scratch for some tips etc. It really would make her day. Thanks guys all help much appreciated.
solved your problem here in Perth, read my PM.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Evelin, you are a diamond. thanks so much for that. I called them just now and they said that these are not suitable for jellied eels as they are filleted and smoked. They gave me the number to the fish shop in claremont and they had terriaki eel strips. They said that the eels I need are not available to order here. hmm so I think I may just buy some from the boatshed give the jellied eels a go and see how they turn out with the recipe. Many thanks for your efforts.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 12:51 pm
Account Open

Evelin, you are a diamond. thanks so much for that. I called them just now and they said that these are not suitable for jellied eels as they are filleted and smoked. They gave me the number to the fish shop in claremont and they had terriaki eel strips. They said that the eels I need are not available to order here. hmm so I think I may just buy some from the boatshed give the jellied eels a go and see how they turn out with the recipe. Many thanks for your efforts.
make sure you keep us posted on the outcome. We're all waiting for a happy ending to this story !! maybe a pic of your nan with a big grin on her face, cheeks stuffed with eel pie.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

no props.

When I need something special, the Boatshed is for me the place to go.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Ok Guys, latest update, drove to the Boatshed in Cottesloe today and bought the smoked eels, hmm lol well, I see what they meant, these are for sushi but hey... I will let ya know how it turns out next week. hehe.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Ok. Tomorrow is the big day, and the jellied eels are in the fridge jelling up, or whatever it is they do. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:29 am
Account Open

Ok. Tomorrow is the big day, and the jellied eels are in the fridge jelling up, or whatever it is they do. I'll let you know how it goes.