Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

i've noticed a certain social trend

i've noticed a certain social trend

Old Dec 8th 2008, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future
Default i've noticed a certain social trend

here in sydney
i don't know if this is an oz thing (probably not melbourne), but i've noticed that the social scene seems VERY traditional and male/female segregated
i.e - females seem to only be interested in having female mates(and boyfriends)
this frustrates me cos i had loads of female mates in the uk, but here in sydney it seems that you can only date women or have sexual relationships with them but not just be regular mates
everytime i go out i notice ALL female groups in one corner, and ALL males in the other(unless of course they r with their girlfriends/boyfriends)
don't get me wrong there r exceptions, but relatively there seems to be a huge difference
i miss joking around with the opposite sex the same way as with blokes, and being able to have certain occasional "deep" conversations with blokes without them thinking i'm gay or a fruitcake
anyone relate?
Old Dec 8th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: i've noticed a certain social trend

I noticed the very same thing. We have only been on a reccie and were invited by friends of friends to several do's throughout the holiday and at each of them, I was shepherded towards the gals while OH was out in the garden with the blokes. It happened at three different parties, so I don't think it was a one-off. The problem is that I really do enjoy mens' company, though I'm pretty comfortable with women too. I guess it's just something you get used to.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
I noticed the very same thing. We have only been on a reccie and were invited by friends of friends to several do's throughout the holiday and at each of them, I was shepherded towards the gals while OH was out in the garden with the blokes. It happened at three different parties, so I don't think it was a one-off. The problem is that I really do enjoy mens' company, though I'm pretty comfortable with women too. I guess it's just something you get used to.
Nope, have never got used to used to having a pair of salad tongs or washing up wand thrust into my hand at every bbq, and never will

I hate the BBQ scene after about 60 its so repetitive and boring, you just long to do something interesting for once.

The backward attitude to women amazes me most in that women accept it, even young women 20's 30's
Old Dec 8th 2008, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed, but then I always sit with the men whether they like it or not

On my last 'BE Adelaide meet' (where no-one from here turned up ) me and Tiggs got 'adopted' by a group of AFL players (Mind you they did seem to be going round the pub 'collecting' single women ) Had a great night out with them.
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Haven't noticed this, mind you I do tend to walk around most of the time in my rose tinted glasess

Jacqui
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter has more male friends than female friends and goes out with a group of them regularly. She probably got that from me because I am not a congregate in with the girls type person and have always mixed. Actually when I think about it none of our circle do the girls and boys thing at all. No fun in that.

Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Haven't noticed this, mind you I do tend to walk around most of the time in my rose tinted glasess

Jacqui
I wouldn't see it as an 'Australia' thing though as we've mostly met fellow Scottish people!!

I'd say its more to do with just the whole meeting new people and forming friendships there's probably a psychological explanation for it. . .

Mandy
Old Dec 8th 2008, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

The backward attitude to women amazes me most in that women accept it, even young women 20's 30's
Absolutely, I have aussie friends in their late 20's and 30's who just accept they will wait on their partners hand and foot! these are 'with it' educated people who also work full time

Its one of the reasons being single here (can only really speak of Adelaide) is such a struggle, Basically (and I know Im generalising) men only talk to you if they are chatting you up, they don't have women friends, and therefore as a single person I don't mix with any men, girls nights only! Also Im a social pirahna (sic) on the barbie scene!! I just don't get included except by forward thinking types such as s/nurse!
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Absolutely, I have aussie friends in their late 20's and 30's who just accept they will wait on their partners hand and foot! these are 'with it' educated people who also work full time

Its one of the reasons being single here (can only really speak of Adelaide) is such a struggle, Basically (and I know Im generalising) men only talk to you if they are chatting you up, they don't have women friends, and therefore as a single person I don't mix with any men, girls nights only! Also Im a social pirahna (sic) on the barbie scene!! I just don't get included except by forward thinking types such as s/nurse!
Your always included cos you are our mate

Jacqui
Old Dec 8th 2008, 10:48 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't say I've experienced your problem as I'm an old married lady so not really out there, but I can appreciate it would be one as I always had more male friends (straight and gay) than female.

I can believe it, too, although would have hoped the younger generations would be more open-minded. The older ones are certainly some of the most sexist I've come across - far worse even than Asia. I was warned of this by Aussie and Kiwi chicks who knew I wouldn't take kindly to it.

Our unpackers kept asking Mister for decisions; one old boy even referred to me as the 2IC little does he know. Anyway I just sat in the garden and let them get on with the hard work. The carpenter insisted on speaking to Mister because it was Mister that had called him, even though it was me he needed to arrange a date with. The Landlord seems afraid to speak to me...as I say, I play up to it for an easy life.

You can always talk to me, OP.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

I've been told that Newcastle is particularly cliquey and it's certainly true. I'm used to having lots of female friends but they seem to assume I'm trying to chat them up and they're always in groups! I just want some mates but that's not allowed apparently
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed this, but then I tend to prefer male company so that is where I plonk myself. Everytime I have been out it has been mixed groups and everyone has been mixing, not that I go out loads.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
here in sydney
i don't know if this is an oz thing (probably not melbourne), but i've noticed that the social scene seems VERY traditional and male/female segregated
i.e - females seem to only be interested in having female mates(and boyfriends)
this frustrates me cos i had loads of female mates in the uk, but here in sydney it seems that you can only date women or have sexual relationships with them but not just be regular mates
everytime i go out i notice ALL female groups in one corner, and ALL males in the other(unless of course they r with their girlfriends/boyfriends)
don't get me wrong there r exceptions, but relatively there seems to be a huge difference
i miss joking around with the opposite sex the same way as with blokes, and being able to have certain occasional "deep" conversations with blokes without them thinking i'm gay or a fruitcake
anyone relate?

You'll never beleive this, but my Aus born and raised daughter complained about the exact same thing when she arrived in the UK.

This is very odd !
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:52 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you think its just meeting a whole new group of friends regardless of country? So you dont already have some friends of the opposite sex to validate you - I mean this for men more than women, so because girls dont know you they assume you are chatting them up and because you think that they think that you feel more awkward. I dont know if this is the case, I met lots of blokes the first 2 times I lived here for a year and hung out with them and it was all good.

From the answers to this post, it seems that most of the women answering dont feel so awkward just joining the guys.

In the UK lots of people do the women / men thing too - used to drive me nuts when occasionally when with my partner we would go out to a do and meet new people and I would get left bored stupid talking about revlon or something. I think all the rest of the women were probably equally as bored.

I don't really mind the sex of the people I am with, I just like a laugh when I go out and am not so into the whole keeping up appearances thing.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Do you think its just meeting a whole new group of friends regardless of country? So you dont already have some friends of the opposite sex to validate you - I mean this for men more than women, so because girls dont know you they assume you are chatting them up and because you think that they think that you feel more awkward. I dont know if this is the case, I met lots of blokes the first 2 times I lived here for a year and hung out with them and it was all good.

From the answers to this post, it seems that most of the women answering dont feel so awkward just joining the guys.

In the UK lots of people do the women / men thing too - used to drive me nuts when occasionally when with my partner we would go out to a do and meet new people and I would get left bored stupid talking about revlon or something. I think all the rest of the women were probably equally as bored.

I don't really mind the sex of the people I am with, I just like a laugh when I go out and am not so into the whole keeping up appearances thing.
Maybe thats the answer, it could be more equal than it seems.

For my Daughters part, because she was into things like roller blading at competition level, rock climbing, Kick boxing and Tae Kwon Doe, she could easily mix it with the new boys she encountered in the UK. This didn't seem to go down well with the local girls and caused her problems. Especially as she is the typical 5'11'' blond, green eyed tanned Aussie girl. Things suddenly became OK when she had a steady boyfriend, and she swore to me she was only acting the same as she did here.

It was that bad that I complained and talked about it on a thread in here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.