Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've killed my 'puter, please help me!

I've killed my 'puter, please help me!

Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:01 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've killed my 'puter, please help me!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Right before it shows that 'screen of death' it says 'Windows is loading files' and a bar fills up underneath, that bar never fully loads...
That's good, just re-read the thing about being on Vista ... looks like the BIOS is the way to go. Might not need the Vista disc ...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
You don't need the Windows disk to get to the BIOS, the BIOS is the lowest level of control, it controls the boot sequence (and will tell you if the disk is completely borked ... i.e. it won't detect it).

If the machine is trying to boot from USB before the CD (and this is causing the error) then it won't look at the CD in order to boot and recovery/repair/reinstall isn't going to happen.
I'm thinking it may not boot from the Windows disc.... so you may need to press ESC on boot up to change the boot up to boot from the CD rather than the Hdrive.....

Hopefully it will boot from the windows disc.

You definitely need to put a windows disc in the CD though.
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

There IS always blindly applying the upgrade to 7 but I have no idea if this is possible (using your disc) or if it would fix the issue.

May even complicate things, I'd try to get Vista running first.
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Posted a thread in the lab:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...45#post8376245

The STOP error is "0xc00000e9 An Unexpected I/O Error Occurred" in Windows Boot Manager
Thanks Vim, I was going to move it but as you've put that link I'll leave it here, get two forums looking at it
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:05 pm
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I'm thinking it may not boot from the Windows disc.... so you may need to press ESC on boot up to change the boot up to boot from the CD rather than the Hdrive.....

Hopefully it will boot from the windows disc.

You definitely need to put a windows disc in the CD though.
You need the Windows disc to repair/reinstall Windows but not to get to the BIOS ... the BIOS controls the access to the drive, not the other way around.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:05 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

But you do get the Windows "Good Configuration" option on-screen? This would be a good sign as it means the disc is probably physically OK.

You could:
- Try to disable USB in the BIOS, if there is such an option
- Boot from a Vista disc and select the 'repair' option ... not reformat or reinstall Windows

You can usually get to the BIOS by pressing the 'del' key right at the start of the boot process.

Will need more model number info to identify what to disable though.
I'm now in the BIOS screen doing a Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool thingy....
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:08 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

No problems detected as yet...and it's on test 2 of 2, 50% of the second test to go....

When I went into BIOS there were only two options, a VISTA option at the top then the wee test thing I'm doing now at the bottom...couldn't see the USB disabling thing anywhere?!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:10 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Test is complete and it said it'd tell me the results once it restarted, it's restarted and gone straight to that bl**dy screen again lol
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:17 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Test is complete and it said it'd tell me the results once it restarted, it's restarted and gone straight to that bl**dy screen again lol
Go into the bios and make sure that the startup disk is set to your hard drive. Also turn off the USB controllers. Then reboot.

If that doesn't work your Windows registry is buggered, either from the original event, or from the messing about you've done since.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Go into the bios and make sure that the startup disk is set to your hard drive. Also turn off the USB controllers. Then reboot.

If that doesn't work your Windows registry is buggered, either from the original event, or from the messing about you've done since.

Bios on a newer Toshiba is accessed slightly differently to most computers...... On Start up Hold ESC key..... machine will beep.... then say Check System then you press the F1 key.

BTW does the (R) Repair option ever work.... I've never got it to ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 25th 2010 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:20 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I stupidly took the wee DODO usb dongle (wireless internet) out of the side of the computer while it was still connected to the internet. And now my computer has completely shat itself...ARGHHHHH

I might still have the original Toshiba disc, in my Seafreight which we don't get til at least the week beginning the 21st March, and I have a Windows 7 disc which I've yet to install (still running vista), apart from that, I've no idea what to do, please help me, somebody?!
I did an advanced Windows 7 installation recovery last night (from the manufacturers supplied OS image disc) and it was so quick and easy I was tempted to do a Victor Kiam and buy the company, except I think that Microsoft may be worth more than I have in my porcelain pig?

You need to perform a system restore (type restore at the run prompt) and then choose to re-install Windows 7 as a recovery installation. Bear in mind that you need to back up all your data and you will need to re-install your software.

Seriously though, I was left seriously impressed as to how easy the recovery process was as I had been hit by a particularly nasty destructive trojan (no, it's not a condom!)
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:25 pm
Mostly Harmless

Bios on a newer Toshiba is accessed slightly differently to most computers...... On Start up Hold ESC key..... machine will beep.... then say Check System then you press the F1 key.

I shall bow to that knowledge

Done a couple of XP repairs actually, saved me so it did ...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:27 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

It's a year old Toshiba....

Dunroamin - it currently has Vista on it, though I have a Windows 7 disc. I know how to do a system restore, but in order to do that don't you need to get beyond the screen I'm currently at, or can it be done some other way?!

(BTW folks I appreciate all of your help thus far, HUGS!)
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dunroamin - it currently has Vista on it, though I have a Windows 7 disc. I know how to do a system restore, but in order to do that don't you need to get beyond the screen I'm currently at, or can it be done some other way?!

If you get to the Bios Screen which generally is blue.... make sure you take your time.... you need to set your computer to boot from the CD rather than the Harddrive.... remember what steps you have taken, because afterwards you have to go back to the bios and reset it back to the Harddrive.

It will work... but you may have to format.... which begs the question is there anything on your Hdrive that you HAVE to keep.... if so stop and get your Hardrive copied at a computer shop. Reason I'm uncertain about repair is I've never got it to work.... It's a Network problem with yours though...so fairly simple and Repair could indeed work... My problems normally come after serious virus events.

One thing to look out for... there could be drivers on your orginal toshiba disc that the Windows disc doesnt carry.... So I'd have a go at installing windows 7, in the hope that the drivers are on the latest cd.

Whatever event you may as well try and fix it... as it cant get any worse

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 25th 2010 at 3:36 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:34 pm
Mostly Harmless

Yup, system restore would need Windows to boot, at least to Safe Mode.

System recovery will blat all your data and send it back to factory-fresh condition (with a Vista disc).

Windows repair (with a Vista disc) may work (and preserve your data).

The other options are fiddly command line stuff (with a Vista disc) that doesn't bear thinking about.

If there are no options in the BIOS to disable USB then it limits the options somewhat (even if there were it may not be the solution).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.