Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've got it!!!!!!!!!!

Wikiposts

I've got it!!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:11 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've got it!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
"Why are all the driveways here so steep when they go down to the road - we ground the car every time we park in the drive?" Seemed stupid at first - now it makes sense, allows for runoff of the heavy rain. Its not stupidity, its just part of the learning process.
We've all been there, I think sometimes we forget what it was like.

Ahemm.. is that why? After nearly two years, it still hadn't occurred to me why the kerb was so steep, even after seeign rivers running down the road
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:14 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bix
Jayr,
Yes, I have seen your posts and the useful information in them and I thankyou for that.

My point is that a few of you on this thread have taken a selection of the first questions innocently asked by new people and purposely ridiculed them. Sorry but I find that OTT.

It's got nothing to do with recognising yourself from the caricatures or not being able to take a ribbing. It's about having some tolerance and respect for newer and yes, maybe naive people who have to start somewhere. If they don't ask these questions how are they to find out ?

We were all born naive; we all have to learn.

I wonder how you (proverbial) would have felt if that was how you were first greeted. Think on that.
I thought you were joking first time, but you're being serious aren't you.
The thing is this is one off dig at all those things that niggle people who have read it all a dozen times before, answered a few posts, ignored a few and criticised hopefully not too many. I went through the criticisms and I'm still here.
You take some, you give some.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Ahemm.. is that why? After nearly two years, it still hadn't occurred to me why the kerb was so steep, even after seeign rivers running down the road
I remember asking The Bloke about it - he looked at me as if I was mad, and said "well, it gets rid of the rain quicker of course" , because, being an Aussie, it was one of those things he took for granted
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:46 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I thought you were joking first time, but you're being serious aren't you.
The thing is this is one off dig at all those things that niggle people who have read it all a dozen times before, answered a few posts, ignored a few and criticised hopefully not too many. I went through the criticisms and I'm still here.
You take some, you give some.
Its not a one off dig though is it.

These threads use the excuse that they are countering the hopelessy optimistic or pointless threads, but to be honest there's more of this sort of thread there there are the "rose tinted" (to use a favourite pantsy saying - thats not a dig at pants who I like ) variety.

You guys say get a thicker skin,then come on here peeing and moaning non stop about all the naive positive posters. Its done in a slightly humourous way but to be honest those first few posts on here were just arsey, how clever are we, lets pee up each others backs, sort of stuff.

This will probably get deleted anyway, but in case it doesn't, I dont mean to sound all mardy on you, I'm just beginning to think that some posters are way more harmful than a few pointless questions.

I came to this site having never been on a forum, and to be honest its just plain easier to ask a question and come back and check the results than it is to spend ages searching and checkin every relevant thread. If you think thats lazy then ignore the thread. but the time it takes to start a new thread taking the mick could have been spent a bit more constructively.

Just my opinion, I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames, but some of you need to lighten up and get over yourselves.

Peace.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:01 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loose
You guys say get a thicker skin,then come on here peeing and moaning non stop about all the naive positive posters. Its done in a slightly humourous way but to be honest those first few posts on here were just arsey, how clever are we, lets pee up each others backs, sort of stuff.

The thread began based on an assumption (erroneous or otherwise) that threads were getting closed down as soon as there was somethng in them that could be viewed by others to be some sort of negativity about Oz. In particular one I started simply pointing to an article about relative cannabis use between Oz and other countries.

I happen to be the sort of person who finds humour in most situations. For those who didn't find any humour in the potrayal of a cariacture of a naive hopeful emmigrant, I suggest they loosen up a bit.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:02 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I came to this site having never been on a forum, and to be honest its just plain easier to ask a question and come back and check the results than it is to spend ages searching and checkin every relevant thread. Peace.
I'm sorry but this thread did make me laugh but ONLY because i saw myself two years ago

Hey loose, you found a fee free bank up there in no mans land???!!!
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:17 pm
Re mem mem member

Originally Posted by hevs
I'm sorry but this thread did make me laugh but ONLY because i saw myself two years ago

Hey loose, you found a fee free bank up there in no mans land???!!!
Nowt to be sorry for hevs. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Got the best bank going at moment. The missus, only fee is I have to empty the dishwasher occasionally. Nosweat, this houseworks a breeze!!

Actually my dosh is still sat in England with my slack assed mate sorting things for me. He's my bank manager over there but he's as laid back as me! :scared:

Need your dishwasher emptying. Very reasonable rats.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:22 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Need your dishwasher emptying. Very reasonable rats.
OH MY GOD!! don't tell me we have rats in Aus. Thats it, i'm going home :scared:
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:25 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

OH MY GOD!! don't tell me we have rats in Aus. Thats it, i'm going home :scared:

The term "Smart Arse" comes to mind.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:28 pm
Re mem mem member

Ooops!! lol

yeah but they're very reasonable rats. They wash and use anti dandruff shampoo, and only hang out in the reputable sewers.

Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:35 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Ooops!! lol

yeah but they're very reasonable rats. They wash and use anti dandruff shampoo, and only hang out in the reputable sewers.

Wow, Australia now has reputable sewers? There weren't any when I left in 1998.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:40 pm
Re mem mem member

Originally Posted by Ulujain
Wow, Australia now has reputable sewers? There weren't any when I left in 1998.
I'm sure they're no worse than the UK ones. I should know, my first job out of school involved being lowered down deep dark sewers to unblock them. I literally shovelled sh*t for a living. The council told me I'd be a trainee civil engineering technician. beautiful!!!
:scared: