Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've caught the Aussie inflexion virus

I've caught the Aussie inflexion virus

Old Sep 22nd 2003, 11:50 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Exclamation I've caught the Aussie inflexion virus

G'day, howz it going ?

I've only been here 4 months ?, but I've noticed in the last week or so ?, that I've picked up an Aussie inflexion ?.

The symptoms are that I'm making statements that sound like questions ?. The tone of my voice rises in pitch towards the end ?.

Damn, and I was trying soooo hard not to catch it ?.

The only cure is to go back to the UK ?. It's not worth that ?.

No worries mates.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 11:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I've caught the Aussie inflexion virus

Originally posted by welshpom
G'day, howz it going ?

I've only been here 4 months ?, but I've noticed in the last week or so ?, that I've picked up an Aussie inflexion ?.

The symptoms are that I'm making statements that sound like questions ?. The tone of my voice rises in pitch towards the end ?.

No worries mates.
I am determined not to get that. It sounds very unprofessional. Sorry to hear you are on the slippery slope.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:01 am
WBB

G'day, howz it going ?

No worries mates.
gee whizz mate, toss another shrimp on the barby and have a vb.

after discovering you are infected you will need it.

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:04 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dagboys parents said the same thing about him & hes been here 2 years, says he sounds like an Aussie now. I cant tell any difference at all.

Bondi, it only sounds unprofessional to other people from the UK I imagine, to Aussies you still just sound like a bloody pom.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:25 am

There are business courses that discourage the practise. There are plenty of Aussies that cannot stand and don't have the inflexion.

Sometimes I want to rip out the tongues of those with extreme high pitch inflexions. The sound can be very grating. British accents are respected in Australia even if our sporting prowess and weather isn't.

The exception is Eton English which is derided back home anyway.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

You want my tongue? Here, if you can catch it
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:12 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I've been here in Aus 6 years.. family and friends back home think I sound Aussie.. lol what a joke!. Here in Aus, Australians know I'm not an Aussie... don't know where I'm from though.. I have a weird accent after being out the country for just over 11 years (I've never have had a total welsh accent though, although my dad is welsh and that's where I was brought up, I've always had a bit of a mixed accent.. I'm a half bred according to a person on this site who I will not mention .. great coming from a white Aussie.) .

I have a Welsh friend here who has been in Aus for 30 years... he still has his welsh accent. Milder yes, totally Aussie accent no.
Your accent just mellows that all.. and you do pick up a different accent.. but to Australians you will never sound total 100% Australian... thank gawd To family back home.. yes.. but they are looking for it.
Personally I can't stand the accent... the men are ok, but some of the women (not all).. are so high pitched.

Young children are a different story.. Adults no, not in my personal experience anyway. My friend who's been here 30 years is the example. The other thing which I have found .. people who learn to speak English in Aus (ie native speaking chinese etc) are more likely to sound Australian than a person who's first language is English.

cheers

P.S Welshboybilly... you're sounding like an American now..lol . It's prawn here not shrimp ... forget the adverts.. Paul hogan wasn't it.. who said that
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:54 am

You can speak strayan without the inflexion. I have no problems with the rest of the accent.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:17 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

G'day, howz it going ?

No worries mates.
Dont worry mate ,summers coming and all the Adelaide ,Elite, and the Burnside set , will soon be moving down to their lake side and sea side Villas , as soon as you see all the RANGE ROVERS, and MERCS arriving , you,ll be talking like a Sloanranger in no time............... MM
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Both the kids have got it already, the youngest (10) was the first, I don't expect I will lose my sarf Lundun drool.

Colin
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

My 5 year old who has a bucks accent as he's lived there abouts since he was 2 but uses loads of north of scotland phrases and words (no point in telling you any you'd not understand) has now started to talk aussie (as he calls it) so he sounds like an australian when we get there, so he says things like strewth mate oi see a troin, or his favourite croikey its a snoike, as yes unfortunately he is learning from the steve irwin school of aussie. So i expect both the brats to be speaking fully fledged aussie withing a few months, as for us, we feel we have really had to change how we talk just living in england, speaking more slowly and clearly than we would back in Aberdeen so god knows how confused we'll be once we've been there for a bit.

Lynn or should that be Lynny?:scared:
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:37 am
tennisoz

G'day, howz it going ?

No worries mates.
Question: Why do Australians go up at the end of their sentences?

Answer: Because their ancestors went down (under) at the start of their's!!!

TennisOz (told to me by a Pom in Scotland!)

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 12:57 pm
WBB

Originally posted by tennisoz
Question: Why do Australians go up at the end of their sentences?

Answer: Because their ancestors went down (under) at the start of their's!!!

TennisOz (told to me by a Pom in Scotland!)

nice one

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

weefi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lynnj
My 5 year old who has a bucks accent as he's lived there abouts since he was 2 but uses loads of north of scotland phrases and words (no point in telling you any you'd not understand) has now started to talk aussie (as he calls it) so he sounds like an australian when we get there, so he says things like strewth mate oi see a troin, or his favourite croikey its a snoike, as yes unfortunately he is learning from the steve irwin school of aussie. So i expect both the brats to be speaking fully fledged aussie withing a few months, as for us, we feel we have really had to change how we talk just living in england, speaking more slowly and clearly than we would back in Aberdeen so god knows how confused we'll be once we've been there for a bit.

Lynn or should that be Lynny?:scared:

Fit-like Lynn? Foos it chavvin?!

I caught the inflection when in Oz but still with a Scottish accent! I had to slow the speech down aswell but had practice when working in England for 5 years!! I take the rip out of my Aussie mates accents and they do the same to me so live and let live eh?!! Accents make the world a more interesting place!!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Ah Weefi

Obviously another quine fae the land of the buttery, i think accents are great especially when you add in local words and phrases, its fab when my father in law has been here as the boys go around for weeks talking about loons and quines and saying nae instead of no and they never swim in anything other than their dookers, the FIL's first language is doric as he's a real country loon and hearing him try to speak proper as he'd call it is a hoot. I dont ever really want to lose my North East accent, the more beers the stronger the accent

Dont you think you can tell people from certain areas by their faces though?

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.