Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

I've Been Offered A Job. Take it or Not?

I've Been Offered A Job. Take it or Not?

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:16 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I've Been Offered A Job. Take it or Not?

Given a recent history of sh*t decisions, I've decided to stop trying to be adult and any major decisions should be made by someone else or voted on.
Given everyone's experiences's of moving here, what do you think of the following?

We've only been on the Gold Coast a few weeks and are not settled at all. My partner is at home most of the day and kids are going a bit crazy. The contract job I'm doing is very cruisy. I can phone home whenever as I'm in my own office and as it's set hours, I get home at a decent time. Down side is that there's no sick pay, holiday pay and the company closes for Christmas so I won't be paid then either. The job I've been offered is near home, has sick pay ect, but is very much a career job, so hours will be longer, and it will be difficult to use the internet and phone home as I won't have my own office. Long term prospects are good and there's a bonus scheme. It's also permanent, whereas my contract ends in Feb.

Take home pay is the same for each job?

Given everyone's experiences of moving here, is a stressful job worth it when starting out? What do you think?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:23 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've Been Offered A Job. Take it or Not?

Hi Paul,

Do you think that the new role would help your family settle? Maybe it's not a job thing, it's a Gold Coast thing?

(If that's just too scary a prospect to think about, let me know and I'll delete this reply!!)

Nichola

Originally Posted by diddy
Given a recent history of sh*t decisions, I've decided to stop trying to be adult and any major decisions should be made by someone else or voted on.
Given everyone's experiences's of moving here, what do you think of the following?

We've only been on the Gold Coast a few weeks and are not settled at all. My partner is at home most of the day and kids are going a bit crazy. The contract job I'm doing is very cruisy. I can phone home whenever as I'm in my own office and as it's set hours, I get home at a decent time. Down side is that there's no sick pay, holiday pay and the company closes for Christmas so I won't be paid then either. The job I've been offered is near home, has sick pay ect, but is very much a career job, so hours will be longer, and it will be difficult to use the internet and phone home as I won't have my own office. Long term prospects are good and there's a bonus scheme. It's also permanent, whereas my contract ends in Feb.

Given everyone's experiences of moving here, is a stressful job worth it when starting out? What do you think?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:24 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

I was waiting for you to say the contract job pays 50% more.... they usually do to compensate for the lack of other things.

I'd take the permanent job. It'll only be more stressful occasionally. Especially once you get to know the stuff, it could even become as cruisy as your current job. And think of all that paid leave and *ahem* 'sick' leave.

I'd definitely go for the permanent job.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:26 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's a Gold Coast thing. I suspect it's all a part of moving to Australia thing - no friends, family ect, so whereas in UK getting home late, working away didn't matter too much, over here it does. When you arrive and you have no-one else, it's quite easy to live in a bit of a fish tank. I suspect most people go through it.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

nmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura aboutnmccallum has a spectacular aura about

Hi

I would say go for it! Having a set income, sick leave and obvious benefits that generally come with perm jobs will surely help you settle down more easily. As well as the rest of your family - coz life will get into a routine. I know from previous experience that contracting is all well and good - but that little thought of 'it might all end tomorrow' is always lurking in the back of your head.

If you like the look of the job, of the company and the people you would work with - then go for it. If after 6 months it's not what you want - then try something else. A permanent job is only ever as permanent as you want it to be.

Best of Luck with your decision!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:34 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough. I know what you mean - when Patrick got his job, I practically jumped him walking through the door of an evening, desperate for some company after spending the day on my own.

Anyway, I think I'd go for the perm job. Although the contract work sounds cushy, maybe it's one of the reasons things aren't feeling settled? A perm job may help counter that a bit - make you feel like you have proper ties in Aus? You may also be more prepared to invest in the perm job in terms of making an effort to get to know any work colleagues or contacts etc? That could help the family feel more settled, as you get to know people that way? Plus, the added financial security would swing it for me.

All that said, I work perm, Mr GG currently works contract. (Although he is expecting to move to perm with the company he's with in the next nine months.) Horses for courses.

GG

I don't think it's a Gold Coast thing. I suspect it's all a part of moving to Australia thing - no friends, family ect, so whereas in UK getting home late, working away didn't matter too much, over here it does. When you arrive and you have no-one else, it's quite easy to live in a bit of a fish tank. I suspect most people go through it.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:35 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

How's this for a dodgy plan? Don't quit the contract. Call in sick on the day I start the other job. If it's OK, don't go back to contract. If it's pants, don't go back to perm job.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:42 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds as if your wife is having trouble settling. My husband started work the week after we got here (been here 4 months) and has worked away several times. He never worked away in the Uk but I knew he would here and have tried to get out and make friends. I must admit I get a bit lonely in the evening but being busy during the day helps cos I'm too tired to sit about on my own, so go to bed early!
Have you got young pre school children? Maybe she could join a playgroup etc.
Surely you can phone her during the day if you need to (mobile etc) but hopefully once she makes friends she wont be too bothered if you dont call.

Tracey
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:44 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

How's this for a dodgy plan? Don't quit the contract. Call in sick on the day I start the other job. If it's OK, don't go back to contract. If it's pants, don't go back to perm job.
Its Dodgy !
Most cities in Oz are pretty small, you piss one person off it can tend to have a knock on effect. Further down the track you might regret it and if your new employer finds out he probably wont be overly impressed.

How easy was it for you to pick up the contract role in the 1st place? if it was pretty easy you shouldnt have any problem going back into that environment if you dont like the perm option.
You could always go to your agency and say ive been offered a perm role, id rather stay on contract but the money's not good enough, sort me out a 25% rise and i'll stick with it otherwise im giving you my notice.

Steve
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:47 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

This is the issue. She's joined two playgroups. One was pretty good, but she was turned away from another one by some little Hitler at the door. There was big sign saying Playgroup All Welcome on the building. When she got there she was told that there were 50 kids already signed on and she couldn't come back again. That day only 7 other kids turned up. This is something I've found with Australia - there's alot of rules, fees and formality to alot of the groups. Back home you pay 50p for a cup of tea and everyone piles in.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:05 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Tough one - as someone else said, the contract in theory should pay more. Id be considering the permanent one as long as the working late etc thing isnt likely to be huge (I mean, working back for an hour once or twice a week isnt the end of the world, but doing 3 hrs extra almost everyday is a bad deal!). As for the phone calls, call her in your breaks & at lunchtime if need be! I know its important for you to be able to call her & make contact during the day, but Im sure if you did it then or even short ones on work time they wouldnt really blink an eyelid. One other thing to consider is if there is any chance at all of doing any of the extra work from home? I know that Id rather have Dagboy at home doing some emails or other computer work of an evening after the kids have gone to bed rather than him having to do it sitting in the office after 5pm! I dont know what sort of work you do (are you an accountant?), but its worth pursuing the possibility, even if its only a couple of hours/week.

As for the playgroup - try to help her to find another one. There has to be more than 1 decent one in the area.

Good luck .
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:08 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Ta, yep I'm an Accountant, so taking work home is a possibility and you've just reminded me that that actually came up in the interview and they said that was OK, so maybe that's the go.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:32 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Same take home pay, but perm job gives say 10 paid sick days a year, 4 weeks holiday a year and 9% super.

Why would you have to do over time, I just dont get this, if the work cant be done in a 37.5 hour week then either the employee is being slack or there is too much work to be done and therefore the employer should have more staff on or pay the over time.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:41 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I say take the job, sounds like a more stable income and might be worth doing, even if only in the short term.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

It's a no brainer, think longer term.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.