Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ITV Player and 4OD now on the PS3

ITV Player and 4OD now on the PS3

Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: ITV Player and 4OD now on the PS3

No need to use a usb stick either, just share the folder on your windows pc (the folder with your videos) and access it through the menu on your ps3 (it's all streamed over your wireless network).

Much easier this way.

edit - already discussed sorry -----

Last edited by Fluid36; Dec 20th 2010 at 2:24 am.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Lucy Loose Nut is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input everyone .
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:07 am
Just Joined

paddyirishman05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by freebo
Once thats working go into the network settings on the PS3 (or xbox or whatever) and set its proxy IP to be the IP of your PC and proxy port to be 3128, you probably want to set up a UK PSN account at the same time, then under TV on the PS3 Menu you should get iPlayer, ITV, 4OD etc and you should be able to play shows driectly thru the PS3 and control with the PS3 remote.
Set up a UK PSN account? Is this required to work correctly?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyirishman05
Set up a UK PSN account? Is this required to work correctly?
It might be, mine is a UK one because I brought the PS3 over from UK.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 2:39 am
Just Joined

paddyirishman05 is an unknown quantity at this point

It might be, mine is a UK one because I brought the PS3 over from UK.
?? Just cous u got PS3 in the UK doesnt mean u need a UK PSN Account! And does it work on yours?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to google for a guide but couldn't find one, so I'll do my best.

- First, you setup a proxy server (I use a free one called squid), on your PC/Mac (or NAS in my case), you configure it with your login details for your VPN account and set it to run a proxy service on a given port - 3128 is a good one.

- To test this you set your browsers proxy to be localhost:3128, then access a website which shows your location, I use www.speedtest.net, it should show you as being in the UK

- Once thats working go into the network settings on the PS3 (or xbox or whatever) and set its proxy IP to be the IP of your PC and proxy port to be 3128, you probably want to set up a UK PSN account at the same time, then under TV on the PS3 Menu you should get iPlayer, ITV, 4OD etc and you should be able to play shows driectly thru the PS3 and control with the PS3 remote. The reason I used my NAS as a proxy server is because its always on, but I got it working via my Mac first, whatever you use needs to be on for you to watch TV thru the PS3.

The only downside I've found is pause/ffd doesn't work well on iPlayer and the output is choppy after a pause, just quit the show & go back in, it remembers where you where and continues playing.

Any questions, just ask!

EDIT - a bit more googling - this is similar to my setup but instead of squid he uses ccproxy which may be a better bet for windows http://www.iminstant.com/iminstant/i...ks/CTYR-7R7RDV
Anyone know if doing something similar on my Linksys Media Centre Extender will work?
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Anyone know if doing something similar on my Linksys Media Centre Extender will work?
If it has a web browser and can be configured to use a proxy it might.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:01 pm
Banned

Ayelen is an unknown quantity at this point

You can use the Best VPN service, It's service is excellent.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grapii
Perfect, thanks for the info. Misses was worried about all the soaps she'd miss, now I can ell her she can still get them......or do I?
yes, do what I did and tell her that she can get all this and more by allowing you to have a ps3. Play TV for recording FTA TV, Blu Ray Player, media centre etc. Admittedly she plays a game every now and then, and if she had expressed concern at me buying one, I would have taken it on board and bought one anyway.

Presumably yours has all kinds of lady gadgets like hairdryer and curling tongs, then you should be allowed a man gadget like a PS3.....thats the best I can do.

Ladies: what would your man have to say for you to allow them to get a PS3
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using hideipvpn and its mostly fine (I'd say I get a few secs buffering for every 5 hours playback or so, Iplayer can take 30 secs or so to launch the start of a show). When I get round to it I'll check out Overplay but TBH I'm content with the results I'm getting at the moment.

The problem with the PS3 is it can't supply a login/password to a VPN account, so I run a passthrough proxy, Squid, elsewhere on the network (mine's a NAS but could equally be a PC or Mac) and the Iplayer proxies off the IP/Port that its serving.

I get about 6MBps "native" and anywhere around 2/3Mbps through the VPN, enough to watch a full F1 race with little/no interruption.
Do what ?

Never mind I'll look it up

Passthrough proxy via squid eh ? Should fill in a gap when our roof comes orf and the foxtel dish is out of action.

How long is this going to take to figure out I wonder to myself. ?? I assume it's going to be worth the effort.... how many channels can I get access to ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 2nd 2011 at 4:24 am.