Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's situations like these that put people off Australia

It's situations like these that put people off Australia

Old Aug 15th 2022, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's situations like these that put people off Australia

Originally Posted by paddy234

True, I'm not 100% sure myself but one can hardly say that a family spending over $150,000 to stay in Australia using immigration agent's haven't been trying. What is the most used advice given on here when someone asks for immigration advice? Speak to an immigration agent who will be able to answer all your questions which is correct. My assumption is that with so much money spent and immigration lawyers being used they are using every available means and are given the best advice.
Speak to an experienced, registered, migration agent and they will review the options - but no agent charges anywhere near $150,000 for that! And I hope they used an agent not a lawyer. If they have spent that kind of money it does hint that maybe they cannot get PR for some reason, but have gone from agent to agent trying to find a route in that simply doesn't exist. There could be something beyond the basic skills assessment and job on the "wanted" list. Maybe there are medical issues, convictions etc, something else that is not being disclosed in the media. To my mind that might start to justify the figure of $150,000 - medical tests etc, but I doubt we will ever know that unless the family join the forum.

Shame they don't see, to be members of any of the major forums - they might have benefitted from info from other members and some much cheaper advice from agents!

As Sparkles says, its reported they are on a BVE so they are currently unlawful and only on that until they can make plans to leave. You can't live in Australia indefinitely on any bridging visa, especially not a BVE. You can only be here on a BVA for a long period if you have applied for another visa, met various conditions, and are awaiting a decision.
Old Aug 15th 2022, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Speak to an experienced, registered, migration agent and they will review the options - but no agent charges anywhere near $150,000 for that! And I hope they used an agent not a lawyer. If they have spent that kind of money it does hint that maybe they cannot get PR for some reason, but have gone from agent to agent trying to find a route in that simply doesn't exist. There could be something beyond the basic skills assessment and job on the "wanted" list. Maybe there are medical issues, convictions etc, something else that is not being disclosed in the media. To my mind that might start to justify the figure of $150,000 - medical tests etc, but I doubt we will ever know that unless the family join the forum.

Shame they don't see, to be members of any of the major forums - they might have benefitted from info from other members and some much cheaper advice from agents!

As Sparkles says, its reported they are on a BVE so they are currently unlawful and only on that until they can make plans to leave. You can't live in Australia indefinitely on any bridging visa, especially not a BVE. You can only be here on a BVA for a long period if you have applied for another visa, met various conditions, and are awaiting a decision.
The $150,000 is a number by the media anyway so I would take it with a pinch of salt however I'd still imagine it is significant. I think your right in that they may not be able to get PR any other way if they are spending this sort of money, it seems like they are going down the hardest route which is continually breaking their heart and crushing their finances. This is why I'm so empathetic and hope at the very least immigration will allow them to be granted a bridging visa that allows them to stay onshore until they get a response.

Hopefully more details get released but as it stands I really feel for this family. They do appear to be trying everything. I mean look at the money they have spent and the help they are getting. If there was an easier route surely they would have taken it at the advice of professionals? We will just have to wait and see. As a fellow immigrant I do empathize with this family who have given so much to Australia. At least give them a fair go and the ability to stay until a response is given.

As for them being here unlawfully. They were given a last minute extension to stay here a few weeks longer by the immigration minister. Who knows what will happen by then however
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...54974e63%3famp
Old Aug 15th 2022, 8:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
The $150,000 is a number by the media anyway so I would take it with a pinch of salt however I'd still imagine it is significant. I think your right in that they may not be able to get PR any other way if they are spending this sort of money, it seems like they are going down the hardest route which is continually breaking their heart and crushing their finances. This is why I'm so empathetic and hope at the very least immigration will allow them to be granted a bridging visa that allows them to stay onshore until they get a response.

Hopefully more details get released but as it stands I really feel for this family. They do appear to be trying everything. I mean look at the money they have spent and the help they are getting. If there was an easier route surely they would have taken it at the advice of professionals? We will just have to wait and see. As a fellow immigrant I do empathize with this family who have given so much to Australia. At least give them a fair go and the ability to stay until a response is given.

As for them being here unlawfully. They were given a last minute extension to stay here a few weeks longer by the immigration minister. Who knows what will happen by then however
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...54974e63%3famp
The unlawful bit is in relation to their current bridging visa - its a BVE. They aren't given out with the intention of someone staying, they are give to people who are expected to leave.

Maybe I have just spent too long looking at cases like this. But I remember so many other families. Ones who had to leave because the rules were changed days before their PR would have been granted. Those who had to leave - or never got to arrive - due to "cap and cease " on visa classes when they were within days of a visa grant for which they had waited years. Those who were on the verge of applying under rules allowing skilled independent up to 50 years old, only to have it changed instantly back to 45. Those who had their plans destroyed by the COVID border closures.

After more years than I care to count in this arena, I only have one piece of advice for anyone like this family, who wants a permanent future in this place. Apply for PR as soon as you can. And move as soon as you can. Otherwise, you may find your hope and dreams really don't matter to the Australian government.