Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Its Official: Exporting your car is a RIP OFF

Its Official: Exporting your car is a RIP OFF

Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Its Official: Exporting your car is a RIP OFF

Hi,

I have a 5 year old BMW and was considering shipping it until I used:

1) Ozzie goverment customs site
2) Karman shipping quote

I came up with a £6K figure as minimum costs
The car is only worth £8K in England!

AND if I were to pay the extorionate rates of shipping the car to Oz...it wouldn't be worth much as other Ozzie BMWs as it would classified a 'Grey import' + increased insurance etc etc

The shipping cost in itself I can stomach....but the duty/GST...NOOOOOOO
...I suspect these car shipping companies don't tell you how much Duty you will be liable to pay on the other side. (afterall..its not in their interest to dissuade you)

Basically you are charged duty/GST on what you PAID for your car (in my case 10% of £17,000 = £1700) irrespective of what it is worth now!

The bottom line of it is that Ozzie customs make sure that by the time you have your car cleared, you will have paid a minimum of what the car would have cost you in Oz to buy.

ITS A RIP OFF. BEWARE!!!!!!!
ALWAYS LOOK AT THE DUTY/GST CHARGEABLE STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE' MOUTH AND NOT FROM ANY SHIPPING COMPANY ESTIMATE

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...ePrivOwnMV.pdf

rant over

TC

Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its Official: Exporting your car is a RIP OFF

That's why hardly anybody does it
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:40 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=touchingcloth]Hi,

2) Karman shipping quote

AND if I were to pay the extorionate rates of shipping the car to Oz...it wouldn't be worth much as other Ozzie BMWs as it would classified a 'Grey import' + increased insurance etc etc

...I suspect these car shipping companies don't tell you how much Duty you will be liable to pay on the other side. (afterall..its not in their interest to dissuade you)

Basically you are charged duty/GST on what you PAID for your car (in my case 10% of £17,000 = £1700) irrespective of what it is worth now!

The bottom line of it is that Ozzie customs make sure that by the time you have your car cleared, you will have paid a minimum of what the car would have cost you in Oz to buy.

ALWAYS LOOK AT THE DUTY/GST CHARGEABLE STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE' MOUTH AND NOT FROM ANY SHIPPING COMPANY ESTIMATE

rant over

TC

Are you sure of these figures?
Thought they went on the red book price For aus price?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Its Official: Exporting your car is a RIP OFF

[QUOTE=tucs]
Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi,

2) Karman shipping quote

rant over

TC

Are you sure of these figures?
Thought they went on the red book price For aus price?

So whats the link that I provided?
plus the Redbook price of my car would be $35-$40K anyway.
and 10% of this is $3.5k-$4K
+shipping+GST+all those hidden costs (cleaning etc)

so we're getting up to that £6K again

How depressing...I'll miss her.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:06 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

The problem we had was trying to get them to value the car, but they wouldn't give you a value. If you go off the red book price thats fine but how do you get a price for a grey import?
Wish we had taken ours would have saved a lot of dosh.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:10 pm
Tiny Member

[QUOTE=touchingcloth]
Originally Posted by tucs

So whats the link that I provided?
plus the Redbook price of my car would be $35-$40K anyway.
and 10% of this is $3.5k-$4K
+shipping+GST+all those hidden costs (cleaning etc)

so we're getting up to that £6K again

How depressing...I'll miss her.
Have you got figures for +shipping+GST+all those hidden costs (cleaning etc)?

Reason i ask is that i have a car valued at $40k-$45k
and i dont get near the £6k you quote. Now admiting i am saving because i can put the car in with my furnitures 40ft container.

It is really hard for me to get a figure on this so i hope i havnt made a mistake and get a shock if i decide to take it.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice

I am thinking about taking my camper to oz at the end of the year. Basically I bought it as a minibus and have converted it to a camper. Its stands me at only 2k - so how do customs value that?
For me to buy a similar thing in oz will set me back 7k gbp plus. The shipping costs are @ 2k so on paper it looks like a good bet to take it but if they slap on a 10% tax then that is a different matter.
BTW it is a 1987 VW with only 32,000 miles on it
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:19 pm
Tiny Member

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
The problem we had was trying to get them to value the car, but they wouldn't give you a value. If you go off the red book price thats fine but how do you get a price for a grey import?
Wish we had taken ours would have saved a lot of dosh.
This is the same problem i am having, getting a value for the car.
Could you elaborate as to why you wish you had bought your car as i have to make a decision shortly and i seem to be going around in circles
Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:24 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Not a dig or anything ... I realise you're pissed off, but your question confuses me. It's a rip-off in comparison to what? Shipping a car from Australia to the UK? Buying new out there? You say it'll cost you six grand to ship something that's only worth eight ... so that's the end of the story isn't it? The cost is the cost is the cost - it might be expensive, but it's only a rip-off if you have to do it surely?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 1:45 pm
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

This is the same problem i am having, getting a value for the car.
Could you elaborate as to why you wish you had bought your car as i have to make a decision shortly and i seem to be going around in circles
Thanks
I went round in circles for ages and gave up in the end
Sent you a PM

Suni
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I went round in circles for ages and gave up in the end
Sent you a PM

Suni
It seems that the bottom line is that you don't find out the value of your car until it arrives in Oz.
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:29 pm
Tiny Member

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
It seems that the bottom line is that you don't find out the value of your car until it arrives in Oz.
Again you seem to be overestimating the price to import the car, the link you gave was to the goverment web site, but this 10% i thought was if you decided to buy the car for import, not 12 months ownership.
I read that they work from a private assesment of the cost of the vehicle (the red book price) which was not the link you gave.

hopefully someone will be able to give us some figures for vehicles they took over
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hutch
Not a dig or anything ... I realise you're pissed off, but your question confuses me. It's a rip-off in comparison to what? Shipping a car from Australia to the UK? Buying new out there? You say it'll cost you six grand to ship something that's only worth eight ... so that's the end of the story isn't it? The cost is the cost is the cost - it might be expensive, but it's only a rip-off if you have to do it surely?
Not a dig either...

My car is worth £8K in the uk

It would cost me $12-$15k to ship the car...and the moment it arrived in Oz, I could sell it for $ $30K (estimated grey import price).

This would result in $15-$18K in my pocket (Fair enough..On par with what I could have sold in in the UK for)..but handing over £3K customs duty in my books is a rip off.

Originally Posted by Hutch
The cost is the cost is the cost - it might be expensive, but it's only a rip-off if you have to do it surely?
Since when has a rip off had to do with HAVING to buy anything? Wouldn't you consider someone asking $1,000,000 for a Holden Ute a rip off? Or would you say that its a fair price?

Question

Are you:

A) Very Young?
B) Very Rich?
C) Very Stoned?

[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Again you seem to be overestimating the price to import the car, the link you gave was to the goverment web site, but this 10% i thought was if you decided to buy the car for import, not 12 months ownership.
I read that they work from a private assesment of the cost of the vehicle (the red book price) which was not the link you gave.

hopefully someone will be able to give us some figures for vehicles they took over

and what % of the red book price do they charge?
Old Mar 21st 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ps....well done on the Arsenal Liverpool game....you was lucky...AND YOU KNOW IT!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.