Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Its not the countries fault...

Its not the countries fault...

Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:31 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Its not the countries fault...

I have to say, reading all the vicious bashing that goes on in here about unhappy expats life in Oz...

Its not Australias fault you dont like it, why should they accommodate you and change their views? You are an immigrant into their country and culture - dont blame them, their attitudes, their land, their shops, banks etcc... take responsibility - you emigrated, you chose, YOU didnt like it so either come back or save up to come back.

they didnt invite you over there - you made that choice, stop attacking the easy targets... and for gods sake dont come my way - I like my happy island!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Its not the countries fault...

Originally Posted by islandmom
I have to say, reading all the vicious bashing that goes on in here about unhappy expats life in Oz...

Its not Australias fault you dont like it, why should they accommodate you and change their views? You are an immigrant into their country and culture - dont blame them, their attitudes, their land, their shops, banks etcc... take responsibility - you emigrated, you chose, YOU didnt like it so either come back or save up to come back.

they didnt invite you over there - you made that choice, stop attacking the easy targets... and for gods sake dont come my way - I like my happy island!
Ah yes but you have to give them some credit... dont forget they have come from a country where the opposite is true, UK culture has to take a back seat for fear it may upset any UK immigrants so they are not used to it!

(posted with tongue very firmly in cheek!)
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:51 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Hi - I totally agree with you. I'm in the process of applying to emigrate and I've noticed that these last few months there are more and more negative posts. I for one am looking forward to integrating in the Australian culture. I'm leaving the UK and I'm more than happy to leave the UK culture behind!!

About time someone spoke up.

Good on ya.

Ali X
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Woooo, slow down, do you live in austalia? I do, and would say the most negative thing you can hear about australia is from the aussie news and media and aussies themselves.

The country has suffered hard it seems from rising interest rates, housing costs, petrol, food, some stuffs up 56%, aussies feel it hard, go into any aussie workplace/loungroom and try NOT to hear it.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

BPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant future

I am also in the process of emigrating to Australia and I dont really take much notice of the negative comments - I read them and then make sure I dont fall into the same trap when I get out there.

Also its what you make of it when you are out there, of course if you dont like it you can always go back to wherever you came from.

If you have done enough research then you should be ok and these problems should not be that bad
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:16 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Woooo, slow down, do you live in austalia? I do, and would say the most negative thing you can hear about australia is from the aussie news and media and aussies themselves.

The country has suffered hard it seems from rising interest rates, housing costs, petrol, food, some stuffs up 56%, aussies feel it hard, go into any aussie workplace/loungroom and try NOT to hear it.
no no I'm not trying to be inflamatory I'm just trying to say, as an expat who lives in a country designated with "3rd world status" (not Oz!!) it saddens me to see people rip the guts out of a country they are disillusioned with that they emigrated to.

I mean - they chose the country - just because its not for them say that - "its not for me" but dont attack the fundamentals of the country and its citizens when they are "home". Its no wonder people get called whinging poms when so many whine about not getting the same TV or Woolies stcks different things!

lay back and be happy or up sticks and leave (if you can afford it) but the whinging and Oz bashing will eat into you if you're constantly harping on about it.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

no no I'm not trying to be inflamatory I'm just trying to say, as an expat who lives in a country designated with "3rd world status" (not Oz!!) it saddens me to see people rip the guts out of a country they are disillusioned with that they emigrated to.
There lies the answer, people would NOT be disillusioned if they accepted and listened to the posts of those who live here as part of the research.

People posting like that are living here, do know whats going on now. Accept it for what it is, a real place with real problems, dont build it up too much, dont expect the australia of 2 years ago/ 10 years ago, dont blindly believe all thats wrong in the UK wont be elsewhere.

If people who had a hard time didnt post even more would arrive and end up disillusioned, remember many poms emigrate without as much as a visit and the UK media winds them up big time about what to expect overseas. A bit of reality a honest post or two is probably the best thing they could read.

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 4th 2006 at 10:28 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:30 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post

I haven't made the one way trip yet (October for us) and having only had a months holiday in Oz would not presume to be an 'expert' and know all the benefits and pitfalls. I do know however that we are going with a completely open mind, no pre-conceived 'rose-tinted' ideas and would not be so arrogant as to expect our new country to adapt or change for our benefit. We have chosen to move to Oz and have been lucky enough to get a visa, it has been a long road and at times we have thought is it all worth it?
The day we step off the plane in Brisbane will be the start of our 'new life' and it will be whatever we are prepared to make of it. Life is too short to moan about things that you have the power and the choice to change so IF after giving it a bloody good go we find it is not for us we will rethink and start again. BUT WE WILL NOT BLAME EVERYONE ELSE.
To everyone setting out on the same journey as us............ good luck and enjoy the experience. I KNOW WE WILL.

Loz x
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loz
Excellent post

I haven't made the one way trip yet (October for us) and having only had a months holiday in Oz would not presume to be an 'expert' and know all the benefits and pitfalls. I do know however that we are going with a completely open mind, no pre-conceived 'rose-tinted' ideas and would not be so arrogant as to expect our new country to adapt or change for our benefit. We have chosen to move to Oz and have been lucky enough to get a visa, it has been a long road and at times we have thought is it all worth it?
The day we step off the plane in Brisbane will be the start of our 'new life' and it will be whatever we are prepared to make of it. Life is too short to moan about things that you have the power and the choice to change so IF after giving it a bloody good go we find it is not for us we will rethink and start again. BUT WE WILL NOT BLAME EVERYONE ELSE.
To everyone setting out on the same journey as us............ good luck and enjoy the experience. I KNOW WE WILL.

Loz x
Yet another 'we will adapt, we are open minded, we know what to expect post' from somebody still in the UK.
We shall see....
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:35 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute

I mean - they chose the country - just because its not for them say that - "its not for me" but dont attack the fundamentals of the country and its citizens when they are "home". Its no wonder people get called whinging poms when so many whine about not getting the same TV or Woolies stcks different things!

lay back and be happy or up sticks and leave (if you can afford it) but the whinging and Oz bashing will eat into you if you're constantly harping on about it.
I agree totally - -we are 10 days from leaving the UK. I have my "rose tinteds" firmly REMOVED and I intend to try and embrace all that is OZ. I've read the negatives and I believe that they should be saved for the Returning forum, not inflicted on those who are excited to try something they dream of.

I know that there are certain things that will be hard but I am willing to give it a go. I would hate to become someone who then tries to put others off, if it doesn't work for us.

If it doesn't work then before we even think about returning to the UK, we will try another part of Oz. Returning will only be an option after that........how can I happily return to a country that I believe is getting so many things wrong? Don't blast me for my views - - I actually have quite a nice life but I believe Oz offers so many of the things that I can't get here.

I know someone will probably tell me...."Oh but your not there yet"

There are thousands of expats who make a success out of making the move. Makes me wonder if its the odd returner who has the problem rather than the many who stay.

Just my thoughts - - -go easy on me

xRachx
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One more point, this is also a forum for expats to discuss their experiences, good and bad I presume then, or is that not the case?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:40 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yet another 'we will adapt, we are open minded, we know what to expect post' from somebody still in the UK.
We shall see....
We DON'T know what to expect and that is the point. We are not expecting to walk straight into a job, we are not expecting to make friends without working at it. We are not expecting anything, it is up to us to make things happen. But as I posted if it doesn't work for us we will not wring our hands and moan we will do something about it.

Loz x
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
I agree totally - -we are 10 days from leaving the UK. I have my "rose tinteds" firmly REMOVED and I intend to try and embrace all that is OZ. I've read the negatives and I believe that they should be saved for the Returning forum, not inflicted on those who are excited to try something they dream of.

I know that there are certain things that will be hard but I am willing to give it a go. I would hate to become someone who then tries to put others off, if it doesn't work for us.

If it doesn't work then before we even think about returning to the UK, we will try another part of Oz. Returning will only be an option after that........how can I happily return to a country that I believe is getting so many things wrong? Don't blast me for my views - - I actually have quite a nice life but I believe Oz offers so many of the things that I can't get here.

I know someone will probably tell me...."Oh but your not there yet"

There are thousands of expats who make a success out of making the move. Makes me wonder if its the odd returner who has the problem rather than the many who stay.

Just my thoughts - - -go easy on me

xRachx

So if in a few months time, your going through a rough patch and fancy a chat on BE about it, you will do what? Shut up and suffer in case you inflict real life on sombody in the UK.

Come on its a real flippin country, do you really think only those going back to Uk ever have a bad day in australia
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nasty whingers going on about crime, interest rates, water shortages...... whingers the lot of them

www.thecouriermail.com.au
Old Aug 4th 2006, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

[I've read the negatives and I believe that they should be saved for the Returning forum, not inflicted on those who are excited to try something they dream of.

Inflicted
Most posters who are already in Oz are just trying to share their experiences and do so in an effort to help other who are not yet here.
A lot of what you see as negative is just what people have found when they get here, things that were not quite as they expected. I think these comments are useful, especially to those who haven't even been to Oz.
I wouldn't dismiss any input from people on here, just because You think you know better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.