Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:24 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have stayed in Noosa before (4/5 years ago).

We are also looking for somewhere to live.

If there is a meet around that time we may well turn up

G
For an old poster like you sure we could all arrange a met up somewhere.

Lot's of nice houses up that way but we needed to be closer to Brisbane for work related issues.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

G
Just a quick thought as you appreciate the beauty of northern england, take a day up at maleny/montville way, its way up in the hills, rolling hills, green with cows and things only half an hour from the coast, cooler in summer, can be cold in winter, well cold as in need a log fire, not snow or anything. Very beautiful place, only drawback is not much work there, but a 15 - 30 min commute would cover that for those who want to work.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:33 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Originally Posted by annqldau
Quite agree about the considerably warmer... .

We use to go for fish & chips in Whitby now we go to Scarborough. Like you we mainly miss family and some small silly things but find there are so many favourable things about Australia that we have still settled well.

We find a lot of the hillsides around here are very similar to where we lived, especially the bits with rolling hills with cows and although the mountains are different to the Lake District they can be just as impressive in their own way.
Ang used to own a fish and chip restaraunt in Whitby so you never know, your paths might have crossed already!

We haven't found it hard to feel "at home " here at all really. We stop renting and move into our own home in three weeks time which for us will be the final bit of the transition jigsaw..and we can't wait.

We were walking along the beach on Coochiemudlo Island the other day....just like we used to walk along Whitby beach.....imossible to compare, but easy to enjoy either just for what they are.
Old Oct 1st 2006, 10:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks J+R and Ann

I will start a thread shortly before we go and have a clearer idea what we are doing

G
Old Oct 1st 2006, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Actually thats a pretty good question Anna, My observation over numuerous years in this country, is that there seems to be a far higher proportion of Northern People migrating to this country than Southerners. I don't know how correct this is, but it does seem that way to me.

I've rarely met a fellow South Londoner here, and yet there are at least 4 million people living in that area that would regard themselves as South Londoners.

I think it could be something to do with occupation types, and income levels meaning a move for people from my region of the UK, not being as attractive as other regions.

Thats just a theory by the way
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

so how many Northerners are in Aus now?

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).

We are originally from Bradford, West Yorkshire

Now in Adelaide

Yes we love it here.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 12:35 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm originally a Cheshire lass, now in NSW and it's lovely.

I was in the South of UK when I moved though so I've lived both north and south ... Makes no difference to me. I'm happy wherever my home is... and that's here right now.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

marcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the roughmarcbolam is a jewel in the rough

G
I thought Easington was a mining village (no miners now though after maggies revolution !! scab she was!!) near a small town in county durham called sunderland.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marcbolam
I thought Easington was a mining village (no miners now though after maggies revolution !! scab she was!!) near a small town in county durham called sunderland.
from spennymoor living at forest lake sw brisbane loving it
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

From Manchester & OH from Slough, loving it in Melbourne.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:13 am
Just Joined

monoak is an unknown quantity at this point

It's grim Up North in the UK however, i'm finding it quite pleasant overall Up North in Aus...

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

I'm originally from Easington Village in Co. Durham on North East Coast of UK between Newcastle/Sunderland and Hartlepool (for those that don't know where that is).
Hi

Originally from Co.Durham and living in Melbourne. I love Australia and would not swap my new life for the world. I think the North East of England is very grim. Will never go back!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

where have you settled?

and are you enjoying it?

We are from Peterlee, (once lived in Easington), and now on the Gold Coast and absolutely love it (dont miss the never ending grey days).

Julia
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Ian.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really nice

Not Real Yorkshiremen/girls North yorkshire just a buffer zone for the geordies on the razz! south yorks to stop warm midlands beer migrating north !!! Us west Yorkshire boys frightened of nothing ( except the missus) are alive and well in Mudgee NSW pleased the thread got its sense of humour back, its not the UK but it is a whole new continent (sic) to discover the Uk is beautiful but how diverse is OZ chalk and cheese,
Ian
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

We are in Knottingley ,West Yorkshire.I am a Askern Lad,born and bred.We will be in Ormiston,for a few months while I get trained up then depends where the job is.
Cheers John
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

borolad will become famous soon enoughborolad will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: It's grim Up North... how many Northeners in Aus now?

I used to go on holiday to my mate's family in Ashington when I was a kid (Over 40 years ago ). we used to go to Whitley Bay, Blyth. Newbiggin etc.

I lived in Oxford then and thought it was really cool up north

G
paved the cenotaph at newbiggin by the sea in jan 04 bloody baltic there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.