Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It's finally hit me

It's finally hit me

Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Default It's finally hit me

I was wondering when it would finally hit me...the realisation of finally leaving that is.. and it has this weekend. We leave 2 weeks today and it is so painful saying goodbye to everyone. The house is a mess with the final packing etc, we still need to sell the car and it feels like there are 101 little jobs that all need to be done pronto. I feel very unsettled and whilst my husband also feels it, being an Aussie he's not going through quite the same emotions. It's hard to concentrate on anything. I know in the long run and in the greater scheme of everything it's the right thing to leave, it's still awful all the same though. Sorry to mumble on but I needed to tell someone
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:44 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's finally hit me

Originally Posted by pako
I was wondering when it would finally hit me...the realisation of finally leaving that is.. and it has this weekend. We leave 2 weeks today and it is so painful saying goodbye to everyone. The house is a mess with the final packing etc, we still need to sell the car and it feels like there are 101 little jobs that all need to be done pronto. I feel very unsettled and whilst my husband also feels it, being an Aussie he's not going through quite the same emotions. It's hard to concentrate on anything. I know in the long run and in the greater scheme of everything it's the right thing to leave, it's still awful all the same though. Sorry to mumble on but I needed to tell someone
Aw dont know what to say Pako, I am sure it is very normal to feel this way and that come the time I'll feel it too. Sending some K.

Loads of luck in your new life
Old Nov 14th 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

monkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant futuremonkeymark has a brilliant future

we have spoke before so hello again. I too have got 3 weeks to go and the same feeling crept over me on Saturday night when we had our leaving do. When my head was full of all the things that needed to be done there wasn't time to really dwell on anything else but now as the final weeks approach it all starts to hit home that I'm leaving.Its a massive step and as everyone keeps telling me and my wife it takes an immense amount of courage to go through with it so and to undertake such a daunting task but hey i'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end!
So from one fellow stress sufferer to another GOOD LUCK and safe traveling!!!
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:03 pm
diegomaradonna

remember all the reasons you applied in the first place.
The world is sall these days.
Buy all your mates webcams as a leaving pressie and get on msn everyday if you have to. My mates are setting a webcam up for parties and to watch thre footy together, all for a laugh but it is better than nothing!

at the end of the day its up to you to come home, but at least get the citizenship and think of it at first as a 2 year working holiday visa,

good luck

d

Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

We are the same as you, off on Saturday to melbourne. The dogs gone after a slight hiccup, we dropped him off yesterday at the shippers only to find out the vets had dated his blood tests wrong September instead of October and they had kept a form that we were supposed to have, so a mad dash this morning to the vets and then back to Colchester in time for leaving to catch his flight.

We are now unemployed spongers and have spent the day phoning the gas, electricity, sky TV etc, etc. all we have to wait for now is the shippers on Weds & Thursday. It really does seem real now, we visited my Dad for the last today and although we are not that close it was upsetting because I know that it is the last time I will see him.

We just want Saturday to come round, so that we can be on our way.

John
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:28 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

We are off in Jan and I'm feeling like that now. I'm sure it's a natural feeling that most people that go through who immigrate - you don't have to like it though hey?

Best of luck with the move and I hope you sell the car
Old Nov 14th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Aww, I feel for you. I'm sure it's completely normal to feel like this as it's such a big thing to do!!! You'll be fine soon I'm sure.
I, on the other hand leave 3 weeks today, but I don't know how I feel? Went to the bank today to close an account and told the girl why. She was completely amazed at what I was doing and she had so many questions. I didn't feel sad, worried or even excited! I think I'm abnormal though....and you are the normal one, unless next week it'll hit me like it's hit you?
Good luck with it all.
Claire.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:24 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

As soon as that plane starts moving you will feel a sense of relief & excitement.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

some karma for you i'm sure what your going through is pretty normal, im already getting stressed and I have 3 months to go. Good luck with it all Pako im sure you will be fine.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lawlaw
some karma for you i'm sure what your going through is pretty normal, im already getting stressed and I have 3 months to go. Good luck with it all Pako im sure you will be fine.
oh bummer it wont let me. sorry
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Pako

We fly out same day and I too have been feeling sort of nothingy until today. I had my leaving do on Friday and actually leave on Thursday this week. One car sold, another still to go. So stressful isn't it. Haven't had any major goodbyes yet - we are visiting family on the last weekend so not looking forward to that. I'm just hoping no-one cries and its a case of see you in the not too distant future rather than goodbye. I am worried about how my daughter will cope though! Good luck with your final things and have a good flight. Just remember - we are so lucky to have this opportunity. most people we talk to are so jealous - so we owe it to them to give it all we've got !