British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   its all gone a bit pete tong (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/its-all-gone-bit-pete-tong-183081/)

Stoney Oct 6th 2003 9:27 pm

There are enough people on this forum trying to take PB's place and I find it a bit sad, we dont need any more s@*t

stotty Oct 7th 2003 8:57 am

Like some have said, sift through the c**p and there was some good info. Pity it was nearly always delivered in such a negative, insulting manner though - puts a lot of people off so they don't bother reading any further. Personally, I don't miss his "contributions" and am managing to live without them :D

karawara88 Oct 7th 2003 9:37 am

I suspect PB has much more important things to do with his life at the moment, it is interesting that he and Dotty have had such an impact on all posters on this site in one way or another.

What other poster will be rembered or impersonated for so long.

My suggestion whatever your viewpoint on PB, Dotty, or anyone else, your thoughts about them may really reveal more about yourselves.

As the saying goes "look in the mirror not the magnifying glass"

Donna

Badge Oct 7th 2003 9:57 am

Apart from the occasional rare handbags I think Dotty is a prime example of the people we should have here - realistic - but fair - (and a sense of humour and observation) and she has made a success of herself. But everyone buying property prior to 2000 has.

It the cut and pastes that were detrimental. Why cut and paste from a newspaper - they always report negative things - worldwide.

badge

dotty Oct 7th 2003 10:09 am

Originally posted by karawara88
I suspect PB has much more important thongs to do with his life at the moment, it is interesting that he and Dotty have had such an impact on all posters on all posters on this site in one way or another.

What other poster will be rembered or impersonated for so long.

My suggestion whatever your viewpoint on PB, Dotty, or anyone else, your thoughts about them may really reveal more about yourselves.

As the saying goes "look in the mirror not the magnifying glass"

Donna
Scary part is several of my "words" have been picked up here now like a language, Immo, fluffy etc, PB's word Dreamer theres others too, cant think off the top of me head.

Things I have said thinking people would know what they ment are funny too like Brisvegas, several people actually thought it ment Brisbane was as lively as Las vegas!!!!!!! Not picking up on the sarcasm aspect at all.

I dont even know how I came across this website, probably looking up some import from the Uk maybe. I can remember thinking how bizzare all these things people were saying tho, like where the hell are they talking about?? The distance thing got me, was OZ so far away people really had so little idea? Anyway thats how I got into it, its the one and only forum I have ever used.

Its totally fascinating, especially peoples posts (think jayr said this the other day) how they change as they go from Uk to OZ and the idealism slips away its a very consistent thing if you follow it for a while.

Funniest bit is the ones who defend OZ, like a lion guarding her cub, especially when they have never been here!

Sad bit is the terrible loyalty/admiration for everything Australian as I dont think they feel that way about poms. Or the way a lot of people "clutch' at a good point as if they believe it it will be true.

I dont really try to stir people up, I have always had a brutally honest nature tho, thats why I did get on in OZ, its a harsh place and you need to look at it very critically for it to work.

I get a snicker too at some of the 'vested interest" stuff that goes on here, it often seems to go over peoples heads, theres a couple of "travel agent" type posters on here who have given themselves away a bit but I'm sure many buy it.

Badge Oct 7th 2003 10:29 am

bugger was about to go off but had to reply to this excellent post by Dotty.

I think you are bang on the money about Aussie's shortcoimings. People do dream - why not. And as you say, they may get burnt (say) after a year and drift back. But I personally prefer Aussie and Strayan culture over UK. And I will certainly defend my position like a Lion defending it's cub.

As I said months ago, you have to be a certain "type" of person to fit in in Aus - (not just to like it or "put up" with it).

The secret as I so controversially posted so many months ago is fitting in with Australians at grass roots level. And it's not enought to be even naturally "friendly" or "down to earth" or enjoy the "outdoors" lifestyle. You have to get Strayan culture. If you can't do that then even if you like Australia you will never completely fit in. It takes a bit of zest/spark/spunk/public spirit/bloody mindedness; ability to laugh at yourself, but not in that self-depreceting way Poms do; can't be too frail nor too strong; focused, but don't appear to be :-) And an ability to grin/ start conversations and banter with strangers. Come to think of it this is why I got on! I can't explain it- but I can see it in Brits sometimes. They are the ones that will succeed.

I befriended a football coach early on like a brother, and that, and my sporting ability opened doors to me. NB i mean Rugby league not soccer. That was my key to fitting in, to a point. They said this "guys's been out back", "he plays footie not wogball" - "not bad for a Pom".

But having said that, I can sometimes tell the kind of people who will find Aussie lacking. I meet expats all the time and they've been in aussie ten years and they still don't "get it".

I've met expats like Tinaj and Pollyanna, and they will fit in fine, all things being equal. Esp Tina's husband, he of the sense of humour and grin. Sorry to name and shame!! ;-)

Dotty seems to have the character to fit in in Staya - but just doesn't like the associated detail of living there which she documents on this site.

So it's not the dreams or lack of, it's the sort of person you are. I hate surfing, swimming, and surf and sun baking, and extreme temps eg over 40 - but I do enjoy having a yarn with aussie blokes.

badge

PS this may be a controversial post but I think I am right!

;-)

WBB Oct 7th 2003 11:55 am

i think your very last setntence sums it up badge,

lets face it apart from the trolls and timewasters on here we all think we are right when we post and we all believe australia will be for us.

i dont think your post is controversial, just honest.:)

garywarby Oct 7th 2003 11:22 pm

Yep Badgers, got it in one! In regards to it is the type of person you are. In the words of the Talk Talk hit,"Life's what you make it" . Get stuck in, give em the Pom analogies and use the Aussie ones aswell, defend your country in the sporting sense(even Rugby League and Cricket) but as you summed up, be prepared to laugh at yourself, they will respect you more for it!

Private people wil struggle here, in my opinion the Aussies want to know the ins and outs of a cats arsehole, not very pleasant but true!
Cheers
Gary