Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

items they''ll confiscate

items they''ll confiscate

Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

gary-o is an unknown quantity at this point
Default items they''ll confiscate

Can someone please tell me where i saw a complete list of things customs in Australia will not allow you to emmigrate with. I can't find it anywhere but definitley saw one on here earlier in the week. Thanks......gary-o
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: items they''ll confiscate

Originally Posted by gary-o
Can someone please tell me where i saw a complete list of things customs in Australia will not allow you to emmigrate with. I can't find it anywhere but definitley saw one on here earlier in the week. Thanks......gary-o
AQIS - www.aqis.gov.au should get you there eventually but more specifically:
http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...s&subdisplay=7

there is a section dedicated to emigrating to AUstralia and what you can't take
good luck
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

gary-o is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. There are only so many ways you can re-word a phrase on a search engine !! :scared:
Old Oct 31st 2004, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Using the on line customs list, I packed all my wordly goods myself, whilst producing a very clear list of what each box contained and if it would be of any interest to AQIS.

All my stuff came through ok, except for one item. I had 3 cuddly toys (all declared and described in full) One of them was a small kaola bear that had belonged to my late grandmother. Customs ripped it apart, then slung what was left of it back in the box that it had come out of. I was bitterly upset about it.
Stll not a lot that I could do eh?
Old Oct 31st 2004, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Using the on line customs list, I packed all my wordly goods myself, whilst producing a very clear list of what each box contained and if it would be of any interest to AQIS.

All my stuff came through ok, except for one item. I had 3 cuddly toys (all declared and described in full) One of them was a small kaola bear that had belonged to my late grandmother. Customs ripped it apart, then slung what was left of it back in the box that it had come out of. I was bitterly upset about it.
Thats really harsh? Its got sentimental value. I'll be gutted if they do that to my kids teddy bears. Some of them they've had from birth as presents! Ah well we'll soon see X
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:31 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Thats really harsh? Its got sentimental value. I'll be gutted if they do that to my kids teddy bears. Some of them they've had from birth as presents! Ah well we'll soon see X
Pinkpussycat wants to know whether she can take her little bag of toys / videos and magazines from under the bed but is too embarassed to ask
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:05 pm
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

That is awful....
Could they not have just scanned it, instead of ripping it to bits....

I am worrying now as my 10 year daughter has an obession with giraffes, she has collected them from the age of three..

She also has a 6ft giraffe,(not real, just a stuffed cuddly toy) Obviously I won`t be able to pack that, so now I am worried, it will break her heart if they rip that to bits, it was an expensive birthday gift...

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance..

Deb..
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by deba34
That is awful....
Could they not have just scanned it, instead of ripping it to bits....

I am worrying now as my 10 year daughter has an obession with giraffes, she has collected them from the age of three..

She also has a 6ft giraffe,(not real, just a stuffed cuddly toy) Obviously I won`t be able to pack that, so now I am worried, it will break her heart if they rip that to bits, it was an expensive birthday gift...

Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance..

Deb..
The thing they are looking for is what material it's stuffed with. Not smuggled gems etc... Cotton waste wadding for example is considered a dodgy item. Perhaps if you were to make a tiny incision in the treasured item and attach it a small bag with a sample of the inside material and label it carefully explaining the sentimental value they'll be kinder about it. Don't know if it'll work but it's a worthwhile thought. I have a beautifull 3ft high bunny so I might try this with her.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 7:56 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Pinkpussycat wants to know whether she can take her little bag of toys / videos and magazines from under the bed but is too embarassed to ask
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=adult+toys
Old Nov 1st 2004, 9:56 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ushas
The thing they are looking for is what material it's stuffed with. Not smuggled gems etc... Cotton waste wadding for example is considered a dodgy item. Perhaps if you were to make a tiny incision in the treasured item and attach it a small bag with a sample of the inside material and label it carefully explaining the sentimental value they'll be kinder about it. Don't know if it'll work but it's a worthwhile thought. I have a beautifull 3ft high bunny so I might try this with her.

Thanks for the reply..

That is a good idea and one I will use...

Like you say, hopefully by doing this they will be kinder to the toy..
My daughter loves it and the first thing she asked me when we said we were going to emigrate was if she was able to take her giraffe...

Thanks again..

Deb..
Old Nov 1st 2004, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ushas will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by deba34
Thanks for the reply..

That is a good idea and one I will use...

Like you say, hopefully by doing this they will be kinder to the toy..
My daughter loves it and the first thing she asked me when we said we were going to emigrate was if she was able to take her giraffe...

Thanks again..

Deb..
No problem. it was while reading this that I came up with the idea as there are certain special items that I'd like cared for as well. Just hope it works eh?