Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

isp and using phone in oz

isp and using phone in oz

Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default isp and using phone in oz

Can anyone tell me what happens when using the phone in oz using an isp.

Is it just a connection charge and the calls are free, or do you get charged for each min you are on the phone or online as i remember when i was in uk that i was charged per min, then when unlimited charges came out thats all i paid.

I need to know this as its not my phone bill and am i online maybe a lot and would not want to accur high interenet charges being on there phone line.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a local call charge which is a fixed rate of about 20c and is not timed by the minute. Make sure you are using the local telephone no provided by the ISP.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:51 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

What bp says but I would add that most dialup isp's have 20 minute idle disconnect and short session limits.
Make sure you get something to keep your connection alive (set outlook to check mail every 15minutes for example) and shop around for an isp that has the longest session time (usually they are between 4 and 5 hrs long, which would equate to less than $30 a month in calls if you were online 24/7
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:55 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the old days in uk people had a box next to their phone (gawd that was a long time ago, our phone number was 5471, and that was it !!). anway, the box was a money box and people were expected to put money in each time they used the phone.

So along the same lines, put 20 cents in a box every time you connect to the net and youll cover the costs easy !!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:42 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Can you get broadband (adsl) in Perth? If so, how much is it?

Costs us £23 a month here in the UK (Eclipse... definitely recommended).
Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:28 am

Originally posted by Stormz
Can you get broadband (adsl) in Perth? If so, how much is it?

Costs us £23 a month here in the UK (Eclipse... definitely recommended).
Myself and Owieb are more than happy with www.swiftdsl.com.au . Have a look at www.whirlpool.net.au for more choices.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:12 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Jeez! You get charged per Mbyte extra you download? You know that includes ANYTHING... vioce chat, website graphics, e-mails etc etc etc and not just Peer 2 Peer. I`m a dc++ freak so would get charged a fortune.

Don`t get charged for anything like that here... just the monthly fee.

So it looks as though I would be looking at:
512 (same speed as we have in UK DSL) $84.00 per month, 16 gbytes limit

Yikes!

What a rip off for broadband Aus is.

Last edited by Stormz; Feb 6th 2004 at 11:15 am.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 9:15 pm

Originally posted by Stormz
Jeez! You get charged per Mbyte extra you download? You know that includes ANYTHING... vioce chat, website graphics, e-mails etc etc etc and not just Peer 2 Peer. I`m a dc++ freak so would get charged a fortune.

Don`t get charged for anything like that here... just the monthly fee.

So it looks as though I would be looking at:
512 (same speed as we have in UK DSL) $84.00 per month, 16 gbytes limit

Yikes!

What a rip off for broadband Aus is.
You are right there. Have a look on www.whirlpool.net.au for more choices but the unlimited ISPs attract the unlimited type of user that shafts bandwidth.

Traffic in the same state for swiftdsl users is free and have a look on the http://forum.swiftdsl.com.au forum for details.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by bondipom
It is a local call charge which is a fixed rate of about 20c and is not timed by the minute. Make sure you are using the local telephone no provided by the ISP.
how do you know its a local phone number by the isp?

im in geelong and im sure this dodo internet is based in melbourne i maybe wrong.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 1:41 am

Originally posted by brian.w
how do you know its a local phone number by the isp?

im in geelong and im sure this dodo internet is based in melbourne i maybe wrong.
The ISPs website should have a list of local flatrate nos. in your area.

I would call DODO to check on the number.