Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which ISP? (Sydney)

Which ISP? (Sydney)

Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which ISP? (Sydney)

Im moving areas and will cease my current relationship with Internode. They've just had a price hike and there are more competetive packages out there now.

What ISPs would anyone recommend? I'll probably be bundling a home line on it. Heavy user around 150GB ish minimum.
Good experiences, bad experiences?
Fast, slow?
Support experiences - are they local or offshore?

I was toying with Foxtel too, but that seems to be quite pricey per month, for what I fear will ultimately just be more generic crappy TV programes

I will be about 1km from the exchange, which is Zone 1 metro ADSL2 enables, so there's plenty of choice.

For the record, I am an active member of Whirlpool, but its hard to get an answer about people's experience on it, especially at a non-technical level.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 11:39 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which ISP? (Sydney)

For me it would have to be iinet. They are great.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 1:05 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
For me it would have to be iinet. They are great.
+1
Old Nov 30th 2011, 1:11 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Recently gone from Internode to Telstra because of the declining value for money. I find them to be fine. The net works fine and the bundle discounts saves a few $ as I have a mobile and landline with them.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

i was thinking either TPG and their unlimited plan or iinet.

I considered Telstra but, although their plans represent better value than thety did 5 years ago, I just cant bring myself to give them any money, because of the historical stranglehold they placed on Australia for years with regard to broadband development.
I would only go with them if Foxtel was involved, and bundled up in a decent package - but at the moment it seems cheaper to go "direct" to foxtel and bypass the telstra phone/internet bundle package.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

We also use iinet and have been happy with connectivity speed, service, support etc although we've never been able to sort out the quality of their phone handset, we have loads of background "fuzz". Not sure whether this is a common problem or our set-up, the fact that it's unresolved is partly our fault (we rarely use it so haven't pushed for a resolution).
Old Nov 30th 2011, 8:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience Internode and iiNet are good.

Telstra and TPG have offered poor customer service to me in the past.

For your options go to www.whirlpool.net.au and put in your number. You should look at the suppliers with ADSL 2+ DSLAMs.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Would also recommend iinet. I was going to go with TPG on one of the very good value unlimited packages they have but it had some very dodgy T&Cs which basically said there was **** all you could do if the service was interrupted for any lengthy time.

Probably a low risk of that happening mind but would rather just pay a bit more.
Old Dec 1st 2011, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

We had TPG for one year could not wait to end our contract with them, they might be cheap but the service we received from was awful, it kept breaking & we just couldn't get fast service from them in the evening.
We have opted out for optus as they are doing good deal & you get connected after 5 days not 3 weeks like TPG.