Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Isolated from the rest of the World

Isolated from the rest of the World

Old May 11th 2006, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

KAYJAS will become famous soon enoughKAYJAS will become famous soon enough
Default Isolated from the rest of the World

Any one living in Australia feel Isolated from the rest of the World ? If you do you will know what I mean!
Old May 11th 2006, 5:32 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isolated from the rest of the World

I feel isolated from the rest of the world in my little Gloucestershire town - does that count?
Old May 11th 2006, 5:46 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KAYJAS
Any one living in Australia feel Isolated from the rest of the World ? If you do you will know what I mean!
You really ARE having some SERIOUS doubts about moving aren't you?
Old May 11th 2006, 6:10 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I do, it's a nice feeling.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Isolated from the rest of the World

Nope, I didn't feel isolated from the rest of the world.

Pretty hard to feel isolated with 69,000 Brits visiting Australia every month.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by herrchook
You really ARE having some SERIOUS doubts about moving aren't you?
I'M THROWING OBSTACLES IN THE WAY OF MOVING!! SO FAR I'VE KNOCKED THEM ALL DOWN BUT ONE.

WILL I GET A JOB? THIS IS MY NUMBER ONE PRIORITY AND TO BE HONEST WILL BE THE REASON I WON'T GET OFF THE FENCE!! I'VE BEEN TO EXPOS IN LONDON AND WRITTEN TO HUNDREDS OF AGENTS IN AUS AND THEY HAVE BEEN AS MUCH HELP AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD!!

IRONICALLY I AM VERY SKILLED AND HAVE GOOD QUALIFICATIONS IN ENGINEERING - I WAS LED TO BELIEVE THE AUSSIES WERE CRYING OUT FOR SKILLED LABOUR.

SEEMS LIKE THERE IS A LOT OF RED TAPE INVOLVED.

MAYBE I SHOULD QUIT THIS DREAM AND ?????????????
Old May 11th 2006, 8:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Isolated from the rest of the World

Originally Posted by kayjas
i'm Throwing Obstacles In The Way Of Moving!! So Far I've Knocked Them All Down But One.

Will I Get A Job? This Is My Number One Priority And To Be Honest Will Be The Reason I Won't Get Off The Fence!! I've Been To Expos In London And Written To Hundreds Of Agents In Aus And They Have Been As Much Help As A Chocolate Fireguard!!

Ironically I Am Very Skilled And Have Good Qualifications In Engineering - I Was Led To Believe The Aussies Were Crying Out For Skilled Labour.

Seems Like There Is A Lot Of Red Tape Involved.

Maybe I Should Quit This Dream And ?????????????
I THINK THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE THAT YOU CURRENTLY FACE IS THAT DAMNED "CAPS LOCK" KEY!!

LOOKS LIKE YOUR QUESTION MARK KEY IS STUCK, TOO - YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET IT LOOKED AT?????????????
Old May 11th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I THINK THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE THAT YOU CURRENTLY FACE IS THAT DAMNED "CAPS LOCK" KEY!!

LOOKS LIKE YOUR QUESTION MARK KEY IS STUCK, TOO - YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET IT LOOKED AT?????????????
i was shouting as i was typing!!
glad it got a response though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 11th 2006, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

::sammie.. is an unknown quantity at this point

I'M THROWING OBSTACLES IN THE WAY OF MOVING!! SO FAR I'VE KNOCKED THEM ALL DOWN BUT ONE.

WILL I GET A JOB? THIS IS MY NUMBER ONE PRIORITY AND TO BE HONEST WILL BE THE REASON I WON'T GET OFF THE FENCE!! I'VE BEEN TO EXPOS IN LONDON AND WRITTEN TO HUNDREDS OF AGENTS IN AUS AND THEY HAVE BEEN AS MUCH HELP AS A CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD!!

IRONICALLY I AM VERY SKILLED AND HAVE GOOD QUALIFICATIONS IN ENGINEERING - I WAS LED TO BELIEVE THE AUSSIES WERE CRYING OUT FOR SKILLED LABOUR.

Have you thought about applying directly to engineering companies?
My husband found out the names of only 2 companies, e-mailed his cv and asked if they had any positions available and he had 2 job offers. Just an idea.
Lou
Old May 11th 2006, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ::sammie..
Have you thought about applying directly to engineering companies?
My husband found out the names of only 2 companies, e-mailed his cv and asked if they had any positions available and he had 2 job offers. Just an idea.
Lou
Sorry, Sammie is my daughter....post above.
Old May 11th 2006, 9:48 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I know how you feel with that one. I am really nervous about the prospects of getting a job. Being rejected by the NSW DET as a teacher really didn't help matters. I suddenly found myself with loads of qualifications that were almost entirely useless to me. though I am able to work in private schools, it really limits my employment prospects. I also think that it's been too long to go back to my original subject too without loads of re-training.

Ironically, over the last year while I've been getting ready to go, my career here has really started taking off, and I'm really not sure if moving to Oz is now the best move in terms of employment. It all seems strange contemplating leaving a well paid, job where I'm highly respected and in demand, for the uncertainty of unemployment all at the whim of the DET.

Still, on the other hand, I have set things up so that I know I can always return if it doesn't work out, and without too much damage to my career. And I also know that I will never forgive myself if I don't go. I once passed up the opportunity to live and work in Tokyo on an employer sponsorship deal, which I have never forgiven myself for.

If you want my advice, then set things up as much as you can to allow yourself the greatest opportunity to come back IF you have to. Don't burn any bridges that you don't have to, and take enough money with you to last for as long as possible without a job. It's taken me over a year to get this ready, but I feel much happier now knowing that I have a very viable plan B if the uncertainty of employment becomes a reality.

I really hope that helps.

S
Old May 12th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes felt like that in UK, everyone went to work and school. no neighbours, great.

Here yes and thats bloody great, down here in the southwest, away from all the troubles in the world
What more could you ask for.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kayjas
i'm Throwing Obstacles In The Way Of Moving!! So Far I've Knocked Them All Down But One.

Will I Get A Job? This Is My Number One Priority And To Be Honest Will Be The Reason I Won't Get Off The Fence!! I've Been To Expos In London And Written To Hundreds Of Agents In Aus And They Have Been As Much Help As A Chocolate Fireguard!!

Ironically I Am Very Skilled And Have Good Qualifications In Engineering - I Was Led To Believe The Aussies Were Crying Out For Skilled Labour.

Seems Like There Is A Lot Of Red Tape Involved.

Maybe I Should Quit This Dream And ?????????????
Never Quit !!!!!!!!!!
Old May 12th 2006, 12:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Perth I certainly do feel isolated from the rest of the world, which is how I like it. I love isolated.
Old May 12th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If you want my advice, then set things up as much as you can to allow yourself the greatest opportunity to come back IF you have to. Don't burn any bridges that you don't have to, and take enough money with you to last for as long as possible without a job. It's taken me over a year to get this ready, but I feel much happier now knowing that I have a very viable plan B if the uncertainty of employment becomes a reality.

I really hope that helps.

S
Excellent advice. I always, always have a plan B.

BTW OP, my experience here (WA) is that third parties invariably cause more difficulty than help. Be it employment agencies, real estate agents, unions (sorry Kiwichild - couldn't resist) or the local government. You really are better going straight to the horses mouth who, if you are half decent will usually do what they can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.