Island life

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Island life

I've noticed a few of you are from around the Redlands/ Victoria Point area and wondered what you know about Coochimudlo and Macleay Islands. Are they lovely to visit but you wouldn't want to live there?

I understand that it would't be easy to travel to CBD each day for work, because the cost of taking your car to the mainland from Macleay would be prohibitive for a daily commute, but that if you worked in the Redland area it could be feasible.

I've had a little look and sussed out services, beaches, schools, costs of ferries etc. On Macleay if you search you can get a great deal of house for your money, but what worries me is that there are hundreds for sale. Is this a case of rats leaving a sinking ship?

I found an article from last year about hoons causing trouble and violence at night time with no police presence to control it. I understand there is now a resident copper and wonder if things have become sorte, or has the cop been eaten.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 10:01 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Island life

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I've noticed a few of you are from around the Redlands/ Victoria Point area and wondered what you know about Coochimudlo and Macleay Islands. Are they lovely to visit but you wouldn't want to live there?

I understand that it would't be easy to travel to CBD each day for work, because the cost of taking your car to the mainland from Macleay would be prohibitive for a daily commute, but that if you worked in the Redland area it could be feasible.

I've had a little look and sussed out services, beaches, schools, costs of ferries etc. On Macleay if you search you can get a great deal of house for your money, but what worries me is that there are hundreds for sale. Is this a case of rats leaving a sinking ship?

I found an article from last year about hoons causing trouble and violence at night time with no police presence to control it. I understand there is now a resident copper and wonder if things have become sorte, or has the cop been eaten.
avoid it like the plague....as you said beautiful to visit,dont live there.

Them's island people,weird bunch... seem to have a certain resemblance to each other...

Most Islanders have two cars..keep the best one on the mainland,and the crap non-registered one for the island..hence so much hooning on the place.

Any kids that live on the Island have nothing to do during the evenings which more often than not ends in trouble of somekind..

We spent one new years eve on coochie,beautiful day, absolutely gorgeous was hoping to see in the new year in on the beach...couldn't,had to come home....too many drunken nutters and no police!

Best Island to live on would be North Straddie...But price of ferry crossings would probably rule out any commute
Old Oct 24th 2008, 11:52 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow

There are many reasons why the houses are cheap on the islands.

The fact that the houses are so cheap, yet no-one is buying them, should set off some alarm bells.

Why not try looking at some of the better areas around brisbane, and instead of looking to buy a big house, simply buy a unit/townhouse/small house. Or rent. Surely that way you'll have a much better quality of life.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

We're too large a family for a unit or small house and I guess quality of life depends on what you want. We tend to like places noone else does.

We're actually hoping to head to Hervey Bay, but there is the possibility that there won't be a suitable job, so we're trying to find where in Brisbane area we'd like to be. We like parts of Bribie, but it's far out, the Redcliffe peninsula but we hadn't found anywhere in the south we liked that had beach. Ultimately it will depend on jobs and at this stage we are only musing about the possible places we would like to live, but an island about 800m from the mainland doesn't represent isolation to me. A five minute ferry ride and you can go wherever you like. Incidentally, while houses on Macleay are cheaper and not selling, I suspect house prices on Coochie are rising and there aren't that many for sale.

Last edited by kiwinow; Oct 25th 2008 at 3:18 am.