Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IR Laws Gone Mad

IR Laws Gone Mad

Old May 27th 2007, 1:15 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR Laws Gone Mad

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
But the world is getting wealthier and wealthier. Standard of living for people in Australia has never been better. How can this all be so bad?

Bilateral trade relations with the US is a bit of a red herring and has little direct impact on the argument. You may be able to purchase higher priced footwear from a local producer but there will be many who cannot because the price is just too high. Ditto white goods and just about every item you can think of. I reckon that the unions prevent improvements in the standard of living for many people because they keep the price of goods so high that many people just can't access them.

Why is being dependent on other countries for food so dangerous?

It may have been in Europe in 1939 but hardly today unless Asutralia is about to go to war with most of Se Asia, Asia, Africa and South America.

It all sounds so sensationalist and so scaremongery. Take the UK as an example - possibly the most free market in Europe and possibly the free-est in the world. The UK is wealthier now that it ever was, unions play a less and less relevant part in English society.

Contrast with the 1970s.....???

It is all so shitty. And so hypocritical. Kevin Reynolds banging on about class war and the working man as he sits in his multi-million dollar penthouse over the Swan River with untold millions sitting in his bank account.
Sharan (Burrow?) head of the ACTU(?) and her cronies - not one condemns Kevin Rudd's wife for supposedly underpaying workers.
They all bang on about fairness and equity and Greg Combet is parachuted into a safe Labor seat. The head of the police union in Victoria insists on policemen and women getting full pay after conviction for corruption until they appeal. (They have been convicted for goodness sake and he still wants them to receive full pay!)...

You talk about unions and union leaders as though they are the saviours of modern society and yet they consistently fail to show any ounce of integrity.
Not everyone in OZ has a better std of living. This is propaganda. The trickle down theory of economic rationalism does not work.

Companies go offshore because they claim they must pay too much in wages, this leads to unemployment when it didn't need to occur. If we are all doing so bloody well then we could afford to pay more so that local business survived and workers made enough to live on. As it is the work dries up, and peopel are forced to take what they can for whatever is offered. This way lies oppression and social injustice to the point of being a causal factor in the breakdown of society.

Why is it dangerous to rely on other countries for food supply? War, pestilence, easy to be taken advantage of, how about faeces and bleach in vegetables from China? Fish from the mekong delta that is poluted? etc etc as well as putting local producers out of a living because they can't sell onions for 11c a kilo and survive?

The US imposes sanctions on beef exports from OZ yet is demanding we dismantle the PBS which allows the poorest in society get their medications they need. What's next..US style healthcare???

A strong economy can only last thru innovation, stability, good governance and social justice for all especially those who by themselves have no real voice or power.

The vast majority of unions are infact moderate not militant. As for integrity, Howard has none. He is a well known bare faced liar.

Last edited by kiwi_child; May 27th 2007 at 1:22 pm.
Old May 27th 2007, 1:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IR Laws Gone Mad

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
But the world is getting wealthier and wealthier. Standard of living for people in Australia has never been better. How can this all be so bad?

Bilateral trade relations with the US is a bit of a red herring and has little direct impact on the argument. You may be able to purchase higher priced footwear from a local producer but there will be many who cannot because the price is just too high. Ditto white goods and just about every item you can think of. I reckon that the unions prevent improvements in the standard of living for many people because they keep the price of goods so high that many people just can't access them.

Why is being dependent on other countries for food so dangerous?

It may have been in Europe in 1939 but hardly today unless Asutralia is about to go to war with most of Se Asia, Asia, Africa and South America.

It all sounds so sensationalist and so scaremongery. Take the UK as an example - possibly the most free market in Europe and possibly the free-est in the world. The UK is wealthier now that it ever was, unions play a less and less relevant part in English society.

Contrast with the 1970s.....???

It is all so shitty. And so hypocritical. Kevin Reynolds banging on about class war and the working man as he sits in his multi-million dollar penthouse over the Swan River with untold millions sitting in his bank account.
Sharan (Burrow?) head of the ACTU(?) and her cronies - not one condemns Kevin Rudd's wife for supposedly underpaying workers.
They all bang on about fairness and equity and Greg Combet is parachuted into a safe Labor seat. The head of the police union in Victoria insists on policemen and women getting full pay after conviction for corruption until they appeal. (They have been convicted for goodness sake and he still wants them to receive full pay!)...

You talk about unions and union leaders as though they are the saviours of modern society and yet they consistently fail to show any ounce of integrity.
The head of the ACTU defends Rudd's wife yet slates every other employer which has AWAs.
Combet bangs on about fairness and equality yet bypasses the system to get in to parliament.
CFMEU cannot wait for Rudd so that they can get stuck in to construction companies and increase their power. I see investment in construction shrivelling up.
Negotiating fees were supposed to be kept secret until Rudd is PM but a big-mouth union boss spilled the beans.
KRudd/Gillard are against AWAs because they need the unions support and power to get elected.
KRudd is a pussycat. Gillard is the real power.
Cheap imports from Asia have helped keep inflation and interest rates low which has powered our economy and house prices.
Will capitalism and rising living standards cause regime change in China?
Old May 28th 2007, 8:43 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: IR Laws Gone Mad

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
That 'rock solid' economy has come at a cost, slashing uni funding to the point graduates have astronomical HECS debts and places get sold off to foreign students.
Pffft. HECS was already way out of control when I was a uni student - and that was the result of Labour policies. Same with university funding; my alma mater (Edit Cowan University) was reduced to selling off its art collection and merging departments in order to make ends meet. All this under a Labour government!

Destroying fundamental workplace rights while running a public scare campaign tarring all unions as the 'baddies'.
I agree, with some qualification. And nobody needs a scare campaign to know that the CFMEU is a bunch of thugs.

Selling the silverware instead of investing more in areas such as telecommunications, health, education (yeh I know the states responsibility argument)
I wasn't happy about the silverware either - but now it's done, and the country seems healthier for it.

Telecommunications? Blame Telstra, which is currently holding Australians to ransom over the cost of its proposed high-speed internet infrastructure (in the face of government protests, no less!)

Health? The 30% private health insurance rebate works for me.

Education? What, precisely, do you want done? We can't return to the Whitlam era.

Scrapping federal dental funding resulting in people waiting years for a denture or getting preventitive dental care.
How true is that, though? I haven't head of anyone needing to wait years for any sort of dental treatment.

Unheard of housing affordability crisis nationwide

And I'm sure theres more than this brief list.
Housing affordability crisis nationwide? Not in South Australia, where I've just bought this house for a paltry $225,000. Not in Tasmania, where I have a 3-bed investment property worth only $155,000 due to the slow housing market. Not in Victoria, where even houses in the foothills were extremely affordable (as saw for myself during my holiday Down Under last year).

If there is a "housing affordability crisis", it exists only in Perth - and nowhere else, as far as I can see. The cause? WA's economic boom, and the sudden influx of people (mainly Poms!) rushing to take advantage.

Incidentally, who introduced the $7k and $10k first home owner's grant? (Hint: it wasn't Labour).

BTW, employment figures are a furfie, as you well know. You only have to be employed one hour per week to be classified employed.
But let's be realistic here: how many people are employed for only one hour a week?

Not many, I suspect.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 28th 2007 at 8:48 pm.
Old May 28th 2007, 8:48 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: IR Laws Gone Mad

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Will capitalism and rising living standards cause regime change in China?
No.