Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Iphone 3 help in oz

Iphone 3 help in oz

Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Dentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really nice
Default Iphone 3 help in oz

I've just had O2 here in the UK unlock my Iphone 3.
They text they sent to me indicates that any new sim will have to synched with my Itunes.

Will I have issues in Australia, as my Itunes will be on my PC back in the UK. How will I synch a new Australian Sim (assuming its works) to my phone.

Maybe I'm missing something here.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iphone 3 help in oz

Originally Posted by Dentonburn
I've just had O2 here in the UK unlock my Iphone 3.
They text they sent to me indicates that any new sim will have to synched with my Itunes.

Will I have issues in Australia, as my Itunes will be on my PC back in the UK. How will I synch a new Australian Sim (assuming its works) to my phone.

Maybe I'm missing something here.
Take your itunes with you? Do you have it on a laptop - if you do, just bring that with you, plug your phone in and away you go.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Dentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really niceDentonburn is just really nice

Hi Wendy, thanks for your reply, Itunes is on old PC unfortunately. Although PC is shipping it won't arrive until 10-13 weeks after we arrive and of course I will need a phone number straight away.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Aha, this is something I have sort of battled with but in reverse!

You can authorize a new computer to access your itunes store (I think you can authorize 5 in total, from memory) and you can back up your phone to your new computer. However, if you need to reset then all your non purchased music, movies etc get disappeared into the ether.

I also just learned that you can, once you have an Australian (or in my case British) card facility with an Aus residential billing address, sign up for the Aus itunes store.

The assumption here, of course is that you have another computer to sync with.

But, my DH bought a new iphone 4s here a while ago and didnt have an itunes to sync with initially but it still worked as a phone it just didnt have all the bells and whistles of new apps etc.

If you have a 3gs you can certainly update to ios5 and use icloud for backing up if that is any help to you. Dont know if you can upgrade to ios5 with earlier models though (in that case it might be time to look for a new phone LOL)
Old Jan 18th 2012, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Quoll, the O2 message seemed to imply that without synching the new australian sim to itunes - the phone wouldn't work, (even simply as a phone).
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Save iTunes to an external passport drive and take with you.. That's what im doing.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Tramps, when you say "external drive", do you mean a USB or something more advanced?
Old Jan 18th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Just a USB storage device. My iTunes took up about 20gb so I bought a 500gb drive. You can get them fairly cheap in Maplin now. Iv saved everything off my computer to it as I'm getting a work lap top!
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Tramps mate, some karma for you and Quoll.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough

I may be wrong here but, you only need to sync your iPhone with iTunes to confirm and unlock the phone. After that you can put any sim card into it.
I have gone from O2 to tesco with no problems.
Hope this helps!
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:17 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

another thing worth thinking about, if you are getting a monthly contract, for example with Telstra at the moment you can get a new 4S for just $8.00 a month extra.

As mentioned, just back up your itunes and bring it with you, and you can use it on the old phone, or sync a new phone to your old account very easily.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 6:18 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jord w
I may be wrong here but, you only need to sync your iPhone with iTunes to confirm and unlock the phone. After that you can put any sim card into it.
Hope this helps!
I was thinking the same myself.