Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Investing in US Property

Investing in US Property

Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of
Default Investing in US Property

Has anyone ventured in to this? I was going to put this in the US forum, but I'd like to hear from anyone from Oz who has invested in a foreclosed/short sell property.

I looked at it a couple of years ago but didn't do it as it all seemed too good to be true. But I've come back around to looking at it. $60k for a decent 4 bedroom home in a state with low crime can't be bad? With a rent that generates 40% ROI. So, does anyone have any horror or success stories?

Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:52 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Investing in US Property

I put a phone system in a company on the Gold Coast that specialized in buying US property.

I was there for the day and heard em on the phone giving all the waffle about exchange rates etc.

I spoke to the boss at the end of the day and he reckoned there was BIG money to be made if you was willing to buy and sell up in 5 years!

I installed the phone system about 6 months ago. I drove past the place yesterday and the offices are for let.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Smudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud ofSmudger82 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I put a phone system in a company on the Gold Coast that specialized in buying US property.

I was there for the day and heard em on the phone giving all the waffle about exchange rates etc.

I spoke to the boss at the end of the day and he reckoned there was BIG money to be made if you was willing to buy and sell up in 5 years!

I installed the phone system about 6 months ago. I drove past the place yesterday and the offices are for let.
Funnily enough I did graphic design for a similar company a couple of years back, they are still going though. I'd say that there are a lot of fly-by-nights trying to hop on to the band wagon.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:13 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smudger82
I'd say that there are a lot of fly-by-nights trying to hop on to the band wagon.
Yeah reckon so ...
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

We have a few US properties and have had them for years. The rental return isn't that brilliant unless you are in an area with huge amounts of foreclosures and people kicked out of their homes needing places to stay.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PunkDebutante
We have a few US properties and have had them for years. The rental return isn't that brilliant unless you are in an area with huge amounts of foreclosures and people kicked out of their homes needing places to stay.
Which areas do you own properties in?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

PunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud ofPunkDebutante has much to be proud of

Florida and North Carolina
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:11 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone buy property in USA without having the right to live there

What about selling the property how does the Tax work?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

That I don't know. I know our US accountant had the properties put into my name as I am a US citizen (as well as British) and I have to file US taxes every year regardless.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:24 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

That I don't know. I know our US accountant had the properties put into my name as I am a US citizen (as well as British) and I have to file US taxes every year regardless.
Being a US citizen makes sense you buying US property but not sure if it's possible for anyone without the right to live in US

Also...there's management costs to keep the place running. Presume management and maintenance fees need paying? All sounds good at face value but not sure of the practicalities
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

It isn't easy. And property management fees are quite high and it is getting very difficult to get homeowners insurance in many places. Plus comes the added "benefit" of having to file US taxes for the remainder of your life (or as long as you continue to hold a taxpayer ID and have monetary interest in the US).

I know some other Brits who have homes in the US and they rent them out but can only use them for 90 days a year.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:53 am

It isn't easy. And property management fees are quite high and it is getting very difficult to get homeowners insurance in many places. Plus comes the added "benefit" of having to file US taxes for the remainder of your life (or as long as you continue to hold a taxpayer ID and have monetary interest in the US).

I know some other Brits who have homes in the US and they rent them out but can only use them for 90 days a year.
yep....not as easy as it all sounds.....
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ventured in to this? I was going to put this in the US forum, but I'd like to hear from anyone from Oz who has invested in a foreclosed/short sell property.

I looked at it a couple of years ago but didn't do it as it all seemed too good to be true. But I've come back around to looking at it. $60k for a decent 4 bedroom home in a state with low crime can't be bad? With a rent that generates 40% ROI. So, does anyone have any horror or success stories?
Ask yourself if it's such a good investment, why aren't Americans buying it? In fact, why would the seller want to part with such an investment in the first place?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Ask yourself if it's such a good investment, why aren't Americans buying it? In fact, why would the seller want to part with such an investment in the first place?
Could be economics and beneficial exchange rates? Could be American residents aren't buying due to struggling economy and high unemployement? Could be lots are selling their investments to consolidate their debts? There area miriad of reasons why it could be more beneficial for Aussies to buy in the USA market

From what I can gather a lot of the Asian (Chinese et al) community have brought into the Gold Coast as investment property even though they don't live in Aus. It's not uncommon for overseas residents to be interested for many reasons, whether it's viable or possible (visa restrictions / hom buying restrictions etc)is another story and as per the above questions.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
... In fact, why would the seller want to part with such an investment in the first place?
Perhaps because it's a foreclosed property due to someone losing their job and not being able to pay the mortgage? Probably a good reason that they no longer own the property I would have thought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.