Reload this Page >

Intro Hi everyone

Intro Hi everyone

Old Aug 1st 2021, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Skilledhanslady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intro Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

i am a long term Au’s based Irish born lady lady in my early 50’s. I am looking to eventually find a modest abode to buy then move to within 15 mins or so of Algarve.

I have been considering this move for at least a few years.

i am fun very easygoing yet have done enough character building to get me through in life.

Indeed many people may say i’d be nuts to leave Au’s. I find however they don’t quite have the same respect for mature women here in Au’s.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 12:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intro Hi everyone

Hi, welcome to BE and thanks for your introduction.

Our Portugal forum will be helpful if you have any questions about living there, including buying property, you'll find it here https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/

We ask all new members to please have a read of our forum rules https://britishexpats.com/site-rules

Good luck with your plans!
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skilledhanslady
Hi everyone,

i am a long term Au’s based Irish born lady lady in my early 50’s. I am looking to eventually find a modest abode to buy then move to within 15 mins or so of Algarve.

I have been considering this move for at least a few years.

i am fun very easygoing yet have done enough character building to get me through in life.

Indeed many people may say i’d be nuts to leave Au’s. I find however they don’t quite have the same respect for mature women here in Au’s.
Hi, if you still have your Irish passport them that is a real bonus as you can live in Europe without any problems unlike us British lol, if I were to choose Europe to live then Portugal my no.1 choice..there are plenty of expats who live in Europe and Portugal is no exception...even Australians live there. Your closer to the UK and Ireland than you are currently, the weather is fab not as hot as in some parts of Australia but you also have a nice winter, food is lovely, plenty of wonderful history and countryside to visit , just over the border from Spain which has a different culture and language and in my opinion the Portuguese are really very friendly....good friends/family will encourage you if they know this is what you want others might be just being cautious for you and the rest may just be jealous...you moved to Australia and had the experience of migration...so you can do it again. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide
​​​​
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Skilledhanslady is an unknown quantity at this point

Sincere thanks
for the kindly words of advice & re assurance to everyone. Indeed it is a big decision but one I have considered for at least a few years.

From all i have heard from a few UK & Au’s folks I know. Those who that have made the move to Portugal love it there.

Re Ireland although i was born there, i haven’t been back there since 74. Belfast was like a war zone back then & i have only quite awful young childhood memories. Honestly i am not nor likely will be inspired even to go visit Ireland.

Funnily enough one of the few minor reason’s I have put off the move so long. Spain & Porugal seem to be the Garlic capitals of the world. I hate the stuff & an highly allergic to it.

I can’t even be indoors at most restaurants or the smell of Garlic will make me nauseous & instantly loose my appetite.

I manage often enough tho to find an outdoor table. Likewise friendly enough kitchen staff to prep me a Garlic free meal.

Then to a much lessor degree of previous concern. I have noticed. Seems the vast majority of Portuguese people are height challenged.

Being 5’9 without heels, for many yrs during my working in trades amongst mostly men. I was proclaimed a so called heightist lol.Height challenged tradesmen i did tend to wind up often lol

Seriously though the few Portuguese folks i do know are really lovely & kind happy people.
All be it short

Now all that remains prior to making the initial move. Like many is to watch the covid situation.

i have found plenty enough advice on here via many other threads re financial factors.

Not being old enough for a pension for a decade or so I will have to consider at least some modest wk related endeavour. Eventually but not straight away.

Again sincere thanks to everyone whom has been so kind to offer such welcoming advice.

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi, if you still have your Irish passport them that is a real bonus as you can live in Europe without any problems unlike us British lol, if I were to choose Europe to live then Portugal my no.1 choice..there are plenty of expats who live in Europe and Portugal is no exception...even Australians live there. Your closer to the UK and Ireland than you are currently, the weather is fab not as hot as in some parts of Australia but you also have a nice winter, food is lovely, plenty of wonderful history and countryside to visit , just over the border from Spain which has a different culture and language and in my opinion the Portuguese are really very friendly....good friends/family will encourage you if they know this is what you want others might be just being cautious for you and the rest may just be jealous...you moved to Australia and had the experience of migration...so you can do it again. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide
​​​​