Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interview Tomorrow -

Interview Tomorrow -

Old Dec 2nd 2012, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all
Default Interview Tomorrow -

Well i have a telephone interview for a potential role back over west

just reviewing all the usual questions.. gah.. i hate these sort of stock question/answer sessions

but its a necessary evil i guess..

my current project is coming to an end.. so i will need to find new offerings by easter.

but honestly.. what is the value of a phone interview?

When i have been involved in hiring.. i always want to meet the person and gauge them from that meeting

anyway.. winge over...
i want to be offered the role.. so i will have to suck it up and get on with it..
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview Tomorrow -

Hate phone interviews but I always finish them by saying that I'm very enthusiastic about the role and, as can be proven by my references, I'm hard working, very capable and passionate about my career. Ask them plenty of questions about the role to back that up.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have had to conduct phone interviews a couple of times and really dont like that at all. I have also been the phone interviewee a few times and don't mind that s much as being the interviewer, strangely.

Good luck.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:30 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Where I work, they use phone interviews as a sort of pre-selection so if you sound like you know your stuff, you get invited in for the full interview. Pass that and a job offer is usually made on the day.

Good luck with your interview -
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Phone interviews are easier if you are the one being interviewed rather than conducting it, as it's harder to read body language. As the interviewee you can arrange papers and case study refs in neat rows and then rattle off your rationale without making a paper shuffling noise.

Most of my interviews (hiring and being hired) nowadays happen by video link as direct reports are rarely in the same country in my line of work. Video interviewing is a skill that takes a while to get right, especially of it's a panel with a sound sensitive directional camera. I went on a couple of courses and it was very helpful.

Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

thanks for all the well wishes

i think it went well.. its hard to tell if you cant see a face

they thought i might be interested in another role that wasnt advertised.. which i am taking as a positive.. and its a role i would prefer

so.. i will find out in a week or so.. if they invite me over for a face to face

could be the start of another beautiful adventure

At the moment.. i love my life... its all good.. long may it last
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

yup.. they obviously liked what they heard

they want me to fly over for a face to face... lets hope its just a meet and greet and not a full blown meeting

Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

Be prepared for whatever they throw at you!
Old Dec 4th 2012, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

thanks...
I'm hoping they will throw beer at me... been a year since i was out in Perth on the pop
Old Dec 4th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeepSix
yup.. they obviously liked what they heard

they want me to fly over for a face to face... lets hope its just a meet and greet and not a full blown meeting

Congrats and best of luck. Never think of these things as just a meet and greet though. They'll have questions you'll have to prepare for and haven't offered you a contract yet.