Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interview questions

Interview questions

Old May 6th 2009, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice
Default Interview questions

I have applied for well over 100 jobs and have at last got my first interview and am petrified of messing up my first (and maybe only) chance. Can anyone tell me what sort of questions might be asked in an interview, I know pay will be mentioned at the end. Also, I know it depends on what sort of job you are going for.

I am a draftsperson and its an engineering company. Its a staff role and I have been contracting for a number of years which might go against me.

I'm reading up about the company at the moment. My mind goes blank at things like this, so if anyone can suggest some impressive questions that I should be asking back, it would be really appreciated.
Old May 6th 2009, 4:53 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all
Default Re: Interview questions

You could ask questions about the superannuation, staff turnover, age of other workers in the company (to see if they're similar to you), why the last guy left, potential career progression options, their opinions about the downturn and if it'll affect the company.
Old May 6th 2009, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Paul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nicePaul & June is just really nice

I would be replacing someone that is retiring.
Good questions so far. Thanks.
Old May 6th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Has the job description got Core Competencies on it? If so then make sure that you can think of examples of how you have demonstrated them in your job and outside it, they are big on competency based interviewing here and being prepared for questions around that will help you.

As far as being a serial contractor, they are interviewing you so they can't see it as an issue, they might be interested in why you now want a staff role - just have a good answer for that, eg want to be part of a team, grow within a quality organisation, have gained vital skills & knowledge which you can now bring to them etc.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

These are all good but what is Core Competencies? can you give me an example. Does anyone else have anymore suggestions and tips.
Old May 7th 2009, 12:54 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Core competencies will be the main areas of skills & experience required for the role. These can be called something like Key Selection Criteria.

Questions at interviews can be anything. Best to have a think about some of these sticky ones and then you'll be prepared for most:

What are your best attributes?
What are your worst attributes?
What question do you really not want us to ask?
Where do you see yourself in 1 /5 / 10 years time?
How would your friends / ex-colleagues describe you?
Tell me about a major achievement in a previous role?
Tell me about a time when things didn't go well in a previous role?

Interview points:
Be positive & smile. Don't speak badly of previous employers. Have a degree of ambition and a clear goal of where you want to be in five years (this job you're going for 'is all part of the plan').
If you admit to any weaknesses of failing, make sure they're ones you have now recognised and have rectified.

Try this link for some more info:
http://www.careerfaqs.com.au/resourc...view+questions
Old May 7th 2009, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

This brilliant, thanks for that.
Excuse my dumbness, but I have never heard of this 'core competence, must be an Australian thing. Some of the questions I know of, but it's good to be reminded as its been such a long time since having an interview. Back in the UK I was taken on board because on recommendation. Here I'm going to have to start all over again.
Anymore anyone?
Old May 7th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Hi Paul,

I'd be asking them about which projects they want you to work on, what they've done in the past, what they have lined up. Talk a bit about your experience, your software experience and applications of it to projects, and what roles you have played in the delivery.

PM me what company it is and i'll tell you any info I or my colleagues know about them
Old May 7th 2009, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

If they don't bring up the salary, how would you ask or not mention it at all.

I don't want to say too much about the job itself, as don't want to jinx it.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

This would help others in the current job climate.