British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Interview for Australia job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/interview-australia-job-740899/)

KJCherokee Dec 7th 2011 2:59 am

Re: Interview for Australia job

It's fairly unusual for a recruitment agency to actually make the final job offer, particularly at a professional qualification level. What is more common is for the agency to be used to weed out the obviously unqualified/incompetent applicants and present a short list to the company who will then re-interview to select the preferred applicant and offer the position.

I know that as a principal engineer I would be very annoyed if someone tried to force a junior onto me that I hadn't interviewed.

DanSolihull Dec 26th 2011 10:38 am

So I had the interview and it went pretty well. I got through to the final stage, which was a telephone interview. They said they will get back to me in the New Year with a decision. Very very nervous, could be a life changing move.

The actual position they were talking to me about is a FIFO from Perth to the Port Headland area in the North. Does anyone have any knowledge of this area? I'd love to be made an offer for it so just trying to do a bit of research in case I do.

GoodToBeInPerth Dec 26th 2011 1:29 pm

Good luck with the final part of the process. If you came through as enthusiastically in your interview, as you did in this thread, then it will help you greatly. However you should not be too down if you don't land it.

The most important thing you may have done with yourself is to convince yourself that you are up to a move to the other side of the world. At your age, the mere thought would have terrified me.

The fact that the employers are actually interviewing people, face to face, in a different country must show you how much in demand your profession is. I am in a different profession, and I have a strong CV, and applied for over 40 jobs whilst in the UK in the 2 months leading up to my eventualy move across here. Despite the fact that I knew I had a strong CV, it didn't count for much until I was here face to face. I only managed to land just 1 interview whilst in the UK, but when I landed here it was so different.

Your profession is different. You are so highly sought after that they are coming halfway around the world for people.

If you are unsuccessful with this initial application you then need to consider whether you have the bottle to come out here WITHOUT a job, and be able to land one when you get here. By the sounds of it, it will be very very easy for you. So many opportunities out here, you would not believe it !!!

Good luck. As everyone says, you will not regret it.

Turban Explorer Dec 26th 2011 8:55 pm

The best bet is to completely mirror the skills the job requires. Australian companies and recruiters generally won't bother extrapolating how someone's skills can extend to a particular role. Research the cost of living and salary well - there's certainly some recruiters around in the UK trying to bring people over on some very poor salaries.

DanSolihull Dec 26th 2011 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by GoodToBeInPerth (Post 9806816)
Good luck with the final part of the process. If you came through as enthusiastically in your interview, as you did in this thread, then it will help you greatly. However you should not be too down if you don't land it.

The most important thing you may have done with yourself is to convince yourself that you are up to a move to the other side of the world. At your age, the mere thought would have terrified me.

The fact that the employers are actually interviewing people, face to face, in a different country must show you how much in demand your profession is. I am in a different profession, and I have a strong CV, and applied for over 40 jobs whilst in the UK in the 2 months leading up to my eventualy move across here. Despite the fact that I knew I had a strong CV, it didn't count for much until I was here face to face. I only managed to land just 1 interview whilst in the UK, but when I landed here it was so different.

Your profession is different. You are so highly sought after that they are coming halfway around the world for people.

If you are unsuccessful with this initial application you then need to consider whether you have the bottle to come out here WITHOUT a job, and be able to land one when you get here. By the sounds of it, it will be very very easy for you. So many opportunities out here, you would not believe it !!!

Good luck. As everyone says, you will not regret it.

Thanks very much for your good wishes. I have actually already had the final telephone interview so it's just a decision I'm waiting on. I have thought about doing what you have said and getting a working holiday visa then try and get a position for 6 months and then hope that sponsorship would follow on. But the priority for me is crossing all fingers in the hope this position comes off first.

Before I applied for this position I spoke to recruitment consultants and they always said I need to be over there first so I was very pleased to get an interview for this position, now all I can do is hope as it's out of my hands now.

Alfresco Dec 26th 2011 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by DanSolihull (Post 9807066)
Thanks very much for your good wishes. I have actually already had the final telephone interview so it's just a decision I'm waiting on. I have thought about doing what you have said and getting a working holiday visa then try and get a position for 6 months and then hope that sponsorship would follow on. But the priority for me is crossing all fingers in the hope this position comes off first.

Before I applied for this position I spoke to recruitment consultants and they always said I need to be over there first so I was very pleased to get an interview for this position, now all I can do is hope as it's out of my hands now.

I wish you good luck! :fingerscrossed:

DanSolihull Dec 26th 2011 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9807085)
I wish you good luck! :fingerscrossed:

Thank you :thumbsup:

DanSolihull Feb 4th 2012 7:35 am

Been offered the job!!! Very excited. Sent the signed contract back yesterday so just waiting to hear from them to sort out the visa then I think I will be off. I'm young, free and single so I just have to go and give it a go. Nervous but excited at the same time. Arghhhhhh haha.

Tramps_mate Feb 4th 2012 8:22 am

Originally Posted by DanSolihull (Post 9883136)
Been offered the job!!! Very excited. Sent the signed contract back yesterday so just waiting to hear from them to sort out the visa then I think I will be off. I'm young, free and single so I just have to go and give it a go. Nervous but excited at the same time. Arghhhhhh haha.

Congrats!! Are you applying for 457 visa? I got mine yesterday and it only took 9 days to come through!

DanSolihull Feb 4th 2012 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate (Post 9883173)
Congrats!! Are you applying for 457 visa? I got mine yesterday and it only took 9 days to come through!

Thanks. Yeah it will be a 457, they did say that it only takes 1 - 2 weeks but need to get it all sorted and speak to their expert about it. Congrats on your visa, when / where are you going?

Tramps_mate Feb 4th 2012 8:55 am

Starting work on the 12th march!! I'm heading to Brisbane for 4 weeks training then to Mackay to work..

They. Needed scans of passport, driving license, CV, qualifications and Uni docs and several forms filled in.. I had to reorder my Uni transcript which delayed submission..