British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Interview for Australia job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/interview-australia-job-740899/)

DanSolihull Dec 4th 2011 11:55 am

Interview for Australia job

Hi all,

I'm a young Quantity Surveyor and I've got an interview on Friday for a job in Australia.

I'm 'young free and single' so would make the move on my own. I basically just want to move to Auz for the life experience, I definitely have the get up and go and I would make the move at the first opportunity. I just want a bit of advice really, I have found out that the people I am being interviewed by our an outsourced recruitment team who are helping the company with their recruitment drive. What sort of things would an outsourced recruitment team want to hear from me / what would their brief be for me to get the job as I'm guessing they wont know my work like if a potential line manager was doing the interview? If anyone has any experience of such interviews your advice would be much appreciated.

Also what sort of salary / package would I need to make the move work? I'm nearly 24 with a degree in QS'ing a HNC and over 5 years experience in industry. I would obviously need to rent / buy a place and then pay the bills / pay for social life. The positions are either in Perth or based from Perth on a FIFO arrangement.

If anyone has any advice or any other tips etc then it would be much appreciated, this is a potential dream for me.

Thanks, Dan.

Tramps_mate Dec 4th 2011 1:21 pm

Re: Interview for Australia job

Telephone interview or are you in Australia already?

DanSolihull Dec 4th 2011 2:07 pm

It's a face to face interview in the UK, they're on a recruitment drive for several positions so they're over here to do them.

Tramps_mate Dec 4th 2011 2:30 pm

Ah right. I had a telephone interview with a senior geologist a month or two back. That was all it took for me to get the job!

Iv never trusted recruitment agencies due to the reason you stated, they usually know sod all about the job. they seem to be able to decide whether you can do a job or not, pisses me off that does.

I guess if they are in UK doing it then maybe they know more than normal. I guess the best you can do is gauge what they know when you talk, take it from there. Just treat it like any other interview to be honest. Relax and be yourself and show that you know your stuff!

good luck!

DanSolihull Dec 4th 2011 2:37 pm

Cheers :-)

Hope it goes well. I would love for this to happen, not sure how long the process would take if they offered me a job (sorting visas and that), but I hate my current job so would love to move for the experience and lifestyle change....you only live once ey!

Have you only recently made the move then? How long did it take from the telephone interview to you stepping on that plane?

Tramps_mate Dec 4th 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by DanSolihull (Post 9769494)
Cheers :-)

Hope it goes well. I would love for this to happen, not sure how long the process would take if they offered me a job (sorting visas and that), but I hate my current job so would love to move for the experience and lifestyle change....you only live once ey!

Have you only recently made the move then? How long did it take from the telephone interview to you stepping on that plane?

I applied in August, phone interview end of Sept, chased references up 2 weeks ago and offered me the job last wednesday. Just waiting on some more info before I accept. Company sponsor my visa etc. So will wait on 457 to get sorted. Iv heard that a 457 with company sponsor can go through in only weeks some times. So fingers crossed I could be out there jan/feb.. Unless im mistaken? :fingerscrossed:

DanSolihull Dec 4th 2011 5:42 pm

Hope it all goes well for you.

Tramps_mate Dec 4th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by DanSolihull (Post 9769671)
Hope it all goes well for you.

Cheers and you!!

Cynical Scot Dec 5th 2011 3:46 am

Perth based or FIFO - two very different propositions, each with very differing conditions and therefore salaries!! :unsure:
What type of "QS'ing" you looking at, PQS or Contractor?
Also need to ask yourself what your goals are, both career & social?

Darren-Debbie Dec 5th 2011 6:30 am

be yourself and if you really need the job; be what they want you to be:fingerscrossed:

DanSolihull Dec 5th 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cynical Scot (Post 9770244)
Perth based or FIFO - two very different propositions, each with very differing conditions and therefore salaries!! :unsure:
What type of "QS'ing" you looking at, PQS or Contractor?
Also need to ask yourself what your goals are, both career & social?

Any idea on what sort of salaries for FIFO and/or Perth City based? (If they do offer me something just an idea really of what is fair / workable to make the move). The company is a large construction company.

I would say my goal is a fair mix between career and social, the reason for me wanting the move is that I'm young free and single and if I don't do it now the time may never be right in the future so I want the life experience but I also think it would be really good for my CV also.

campervanfan Dec 5th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by DanSolihull (Post 9771682)
Any idea on what sort of salaries for FIFO and/or Perth City based? (If they do offer me something just an idea really of what is fair / workable to make the move). The company is a large construction company.

I would say my goal is a fair mix between career and social, the reason for me wanting the move is that I'm young free and single and if I don't do it now the time may never be right in the future so I want the life experience but I also think it would be really good for my CV also.

:thumbup:all good reasons to get out there- good luck!! have you tried looking up sites such as seek.com.au ? it'll give you a general idea of salaries on offer ....

DanSolihull Dec 5th 2011 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by campervanfan (Post 9771891)
:thumbup:all good reasons to get out there- good luck!! have you tried looking up sites such as seek.com.au ? it'll give you a general idea of salaries on offer ....

Cheers, really hope I get it. Don't think I've ever wanted something to work out so bad. And nice one for the tip, it looks like the Auzzie version of Jobsite. (I applied direct for this position).

Emma_Par Dec 6th 2011 1:59 pm

I have been looking myself. I know Laing O'Rourke are over there and are offering a great deal (they don't generally go to agencies either!), have a look at their Australian website also Australian Hays has loads of jobs on offer too.

Good luck ;)

Mike-S Dec 7th 2011 1:16 am

I was about to ask if the O p was being interviewed for LOR. Having just left them in the UK after 11 years and moved out here, The recruitment drive started 3 weeks after I left. Bugger. I was speaking to the WA Commercial Manager at the weekend about it, based on the number of CV's he's had from internal candidates I think they'll be able fill the vacancies.