Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Interview Advice

Interview Advice

Old Apr 11th 2008, 5:54 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interview Advice

Good Morning

Just wondering if anyone has experience of being interviewed for management/policy type jobs in Oz. I do lots of recruitment here in UK and am familair with interview formats/question types etc but how does it differ in Oz?

Are there typical questioning styles they tend to use? Are there any particular formats they favour when interviewing people?

Cheers
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interview Advice

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Good Morning

Just wondering if anyone has experience of being interviewed for management/policy type jobs in Oz. I do lots of recruitment here in UK and am familair with interview formats/question types etc but how does it differ in Oz?

Are there typical questioning styles they tend to use? Are there any particular formats they favour when interviewing people?

Cheers
I find it depends if HR is involved. If so you will get all the annoying textbook questions that most people just give a generic answer too.

If it's just management of some description interviewing you I find it's less formal. They're more interested in how you communicate and whether you're confident enough to manage people. They will also ask more technical questions about your industry experience and your management style.

The best interviews are those without HR wasting your time.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 6:21 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Spud! Much appreciated.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Oz-bound is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning

Cheers
Not that much different to the UK really, they do like scenario based questions though!!! Oh yes, and they also like interviewing in numbers....you never get just one person - think they're scared
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Wilga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oz-bound
Not that much different to the UK really, they do like scenario based questions though!!! Oh yes, and they also like interviewing in numbers....you never get just one person - think they're scared
Hi Oz Bound,
Can you qualify this a bit. What sort of management are you specifically talking about as I have found that the techniques and questions vary a lot. What sector and what sort of management position. It seems in my company alone we have an over abundance of titles with that word in it.

Ken
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:40 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by Wilga
Hi Oz Bound,
Can you qualify this a bit. What sort of management are you specifically talking about as I have found that the techniques and questions vary a lot. What sector and what sort of management position. It seems in my company alone we have an over abundance of titles with that word in it.

Ken
Thanks for your input guys. The jobs I'm going for are Health Management (policy,planning, performance management) and will also be looking at Local Government as well but they dont usually let you apply until your a PR.
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Wilga is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input guys. The jobs I'm going for are Health Management (policy,planning, performance management) and will also be looking at Local Government as well but they dont usually let you apply until your a PR.
Hi Ponyrama,
Local government...*shiver*. All jobs involving companies with an HR Department. Even smaller companies are jumping on that band wagon. It can depend a lot on the company of course. There are many still that have old time managers who insist on doing all the hiring and firing themselves and these ones are a treat to go through. A sit down, a cuppa and a friendly chat mostly on things not to do with the actual position. As stated by others if going through HR it is almost impossible to even get particulars on a position without them getting involved. I even went to one once at Thiess and was taken across the road to a cafe for a coffee and interview. of course none of this really helps you.
Good luck and I hope you secure the position you desire.

Ken
Old Apr 12th 2008, 12:54 pm
beach bum

Originally Posted by Wilga
Hi Ponyrama,
Local government...*shiver*. All jobs involving companies with an HR Department. Even smaller companies are jumping on that band wagon. It can depend a lot on the company of course. There are many still that have old time managers who insist on doing all the hiring and firing themselves and these ones are a treat to go through. A sit down, a cuppa and a friendly chat mostly on things not to do with the actual position. As stated by others if going through HR it is almost impossible to even get particulars on a position without them getting involved. I even went to one once at Thiess and was taken across the road to a cafe for a coffee and interview. of course none of this really helps you.
Good luck and I hope you secure the position you desire.

Ken
Cheers Ken. I can cope with the HR stuff - its the unknown random hirers and firers I'm worried about. They can ask you anything -

I think (fingers crossed) i've got a phone interview lined up for next couple of weeks which will be my first ozzy interview experience. I'll let you know what I make of it.